Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Garcia

Default Are most repro parts too small?

Last month, I was unhappy because the cable in my pop out repair kit was too small to fit securely in the switch housing. This month, I'm unhappy because the mirror glass I ordered is too small. Snyder's advertises it as fitting a 28-31 car, and gives its size as 2-1/2" x 4-1/2". The package it comes in says it's 2-1/2" x 5". I didn't bother measuring before ordering because I figured it was a standard size. Sorry, no. The original mirror is 2-3/4" x 5" and the smaller mirror can't be securely mounted. So now I have a mirror that won't fit and isn't worth the postage to return for credit and I'm also asking around town for somebody to cut a mirror of the right size for me. I'm beginning to think junkyard parts, no matter how hard to restore, are better than these reproduction parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirrors.jpg (33.7 KB, 88 views)
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Are most repro parts too small?

Give them a call!
Old 08-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
McMimmcs

You can’t blame Snyder’s. The customer should have read more closely.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Give them a call!
I did. They said I could return the mirror for a credit to my card. The mirror was $7.50, and the postage to return it would be half that much. Maybe my wife needs a new mirror to carry in her purse.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
You can’t blame Snyder’s. The customer should have read more closely.
I'm not blaming Snyder's. I said I didn't measure beforehand. I imagine most vendors get this licensed Ford stuff from the same manufacturers, so whoever I order a mirror from, it's not going to fit my car.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
Ruth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
To answer your question, Are most repro parts too small? Yes, except for the ones that are too BIG!!
Old 08-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Step-down

Will we were building a 39 type top loader and my buddy ordered some repo replacement parts
Will long story short the fit and finish was trouble so we used most of the wore out OEM parts and the transmission is still in service .
I think the Ford Barn is so helpful as there’s great advise of vendors to source parts .
Old 08-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
katy

Put electrical tape around the edges and put it in your tool box to use as an inspection mirror.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Last month, I was unhappy because the cable in my pop out repair kit was too small to fit securely in the switch housing. This month, I'm unhappy because the mirror glass I ordered is too small. Snyder's advertises it as fitting a 28-31 car, and gives its size as 2-1/2" x 4-1/2". The package it comes in says it's 2-1/2" x 5". I didn't bother measuring before ordering because I figured it was a standard size. Sorry, no. The original mirror is 2-3/4" x 5" and the smaller mirror can't be securely mounted. So now I have a mirror that won't fit and isn't worth the postage to return for credit and I'm also asking around town for somebody to cut a mirror of the right size for me. I'm beginning to think junkyard parts, no matter how hard to restore, are better than these reproduction parts.
you should be able to find a glass shop that can replicate your original if you leave it with them.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
ETAModel

Good luck, there is 2 glass shops here in my area. One uses a vacuum cleaner to suck the $$$ from your wallet, the other has simple straight glass back ordered because the money is in replacing shattered windshields. We talked to the later about new glass for the 30 Fordor, and was told to come back next year.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #11
bobbader

This car is 90 years old. You are assuming the mirror you have is original and, while you posted a picture of the glass, it would be good to see a picture of the bracket to see if maybe it is NOT an original bracket. Roadster mirrors clamped on to the windshield frame. It is totally possible that, in 90 years of the car’s life, someone might have put on an aftermarket mirror that was universal or was from a vehicle with a like tubular windshield frame. This could even have been the last person who restored the car. You’ve shared numerous “adventures” since coming on board Fordbarn. Perhaps the restoration materials and procedures used on your car were what could be afforded at the time, or items the restorer felt were authentic. Not looking to bring controversy, but I can attest to the fact that “repro” mirror glass I have used have fit both reproduction and original mirror brackets. Something deserves further inspection before classifying all repro parts as misfits and causing you so much unfortunate angst.

Good luck. Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #12
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
To answer your question, Are most repro parts too small? Yes, except for the ones that are too BIG!!
You know whereof you speak. How do you like my new floor mat?

Of course, I'm just wasting time with mirrors and floor mats on a car that still won't run right. It's really cool to ride around town in a Ford roadster, but it's really embarrassing when the engine dies in the middle of a left turn and you're blocking two lanes of traffic and have to push the car three blocks to get back home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat.jpg (40.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 08-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #13
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #14
Roger V

It appears that your roadster is a Deluxe. Those only came from the factory with an outside mirror on the post. So, whatever was put on the inside could be anybody's guess. Post #11 is spot-on. BTW, the judging standards state inside mirrors for those cars that came with them are 2 1/2" X 4 1/2" with some up to 5" long. There's more specs too on page 10-9.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #15
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger V View Post
It appears that your roadster is a Deluxe. Those only came from the factory with an outside mirror on the post. So, whatever was put on the inside could be anybody's guess.
Thanks for the information. In 90 years, who knows what somebody might have ordered from J.C. Whitney to stick on his car?

I'm not a lot concerned about that right now, because I'm just doing what I can to improve it cosmetically before I list it for sale. Since I've had it, I've driven it an average of about 5 miles per week, and as often as not, I've had to have it towed back home or I've had to push it. I'm in good health, but I'm not a young man anymore and I probably shouldn't be pushing cars around too much.

Internet friends have given me good advice, but that's not like having somebody standing next to you. I joined MAFCA and the local club, hoping for help. There is supposedly an old pro associated with the local club, but he won't come to me, I would have to rent a trailer to take the car to him, and if his reputation turns out to be exaggerated, it would just be a waste.

There was a classified ad on the MAFCA last month by a person in the same situation. He had bought a Model A hoping to have a nice experience but he had to sell it (probably at a loss) because he couldn't get it to run and he couldn't find anybody to help him get it to run.

I looked at a 1999 Toyota Corolla today. In three years it will qualify for collector status, and since it's a Toyota, there should be no problem with it stranding me away from home.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
SteveB31

Their mirror is the correct size and will fit an original mirror bracket, but not a repro bracket.

The floor mats need to be trimmed to fit you particular body style as each body style is different, with seat riser bending located in a different location on each car.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #17
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
Good luck, there is 2 glass shops here in my area. One uses a vacuum cleaner to suck the $$$ from your wallet, the other has simple straight glass back ordered because the money is in replacing shattered windshields. We talked to the later about new glass for the 30 Fordor, and was told to come back next year.
I don't know about window glass, but I took my mirror to two local shops and got two copies of my original (on the right in the picture). The mirror with my name taped on it was the right size, but only 1/8 inch thick. It was ready about 12 hours after I ordered it. The mirror in the frame came back within a week with the right width and height, but the guy for some reason decided he didn't like the angle or finish of the original, so he gave it a different angle and a gloss finish. I guess some people don't understand what "reproduction" means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210902_171046.jpg (35.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #18
2935ford

I'm leary of any repop parts. So many are not of quality or spec and most are made offshore.
I look for original first before repop.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote