Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #1
Rayfry

Default Original Engine and Trans.

How do you tell if the engine and trans. are original to the car? I have a 1949 Ford with a Flathead and 3spd trans.
Rayfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Original Engine and Trans.

The number stamped on the bellhousing part of the transmission would be the same number as stamped on the frame. But, no way to tell if the engine was changed out. Almost all flathead engines have had at least one rebuild or been replaced. The original engine could have been rebuilt and put back into the car, but more likely, if it was rebuild, it would have been an exchange.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #3
Rayfry

thank you for the information..
Rayfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The number stamped on the bellhousing part of the transmission would be the same number as stamped on the frame. But, no way to tell if the engine was changed out. Almost all flathead engines have had at least one rebuild or been replaced. The original engine could have been rebuilt and put back into the car, but more likely, if it was rebuild, it would have been an exchange.
I believe this to be true only for vehicles produced through the 1948 model year. I know of no way to determine the originality of an engine in a "shoebox" Ford.

You can tell if it's not original by comparing the date stamped on the top (intake) surface of the block against the production date of the car. If that date is much different from the car's build date, it's probably not original. Unfortunately, some engines lack this stamp.

Here's a useful link : https://myflatheadford.com/5988-2/

Last edited by tubman; 06-10-2021 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added a link
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Good catch tubman, I was thinking 48 (and earlier).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #6
rotorwrench

It really won't matter on 8BA family engines since the blocks are all very similar. The Mercury 255 used the same block but changed the pistons and crankshaft to get the extra cubic inches. You can tell more by characteristics than anything other than a possible date code on the rear passenger side (right side) of the intake deck.

The 1949 thru early 1951 will have early type valves and hardened valve seats. All other characteristics are related to the type of vehicle it is instaled in. The shoe box cars have a specific oil pan, water pumps, exhaust system and the fuel delivery, ie carb and intake, will be for the 8BA type Holley 94. The heads will be 8BA prefix standard Ford heads. The heads may or may not have casting date codes so I won't go there.

The bell housings and transmissions were Ford car only. The transmission is the narrow 4-bolt Borg Warner pattern and the side shift cover will have the 1949/50 type appendage for the clutch release mechanism to ride on. They were either 3-speed standard or 3-speed overdrive type transmission with the 1-inch 10-spline input shaft and the 9.5" Long type clutch.

As long as the car meets these characteristics then it is pretty much an original set up for a 1949 Ford car.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #7
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I believe this to be true only for vehicles produced through the 1948 model year. I know of no way to determine the originality of an engine in a "shoebox" Ford.

You can tell if it's not original by comparing the date stamped on the top (intake) surface of the block against the production date of the car. If that date is much different from the car's build date, it's probably not original. Unfortunately, some engines lack this stamp.

Here's a useful link : https://myflatheadford.com/5988-2/
Not necessarily true. The date code on the engine is the engine build date. For example the engine could have been built in 1948 to be used in a 1949 model vehicle.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
tubman

"51 MERC-CT" - please read my thread again; "If that date is much different from the car's build date, it's probably not original." This time make sure you don't miss the italicized words.

I think you will have to agree that if the engine build date is after the vehicles build date, it CANNOT be original.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote