Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
30AAFord

Default Accessory Oil Filter Question

I have an old cannister style oil filter on one of my As (steel cannister with cartridge filter inside). Was added sometime back in the 50s. When I change the oil, should I be adding another quart for this filter system? Dipstick reads low after running if I only add the usual 4.5 quarts (a lot sits up in the cannister when the engine is off). Added more to bring dipstick up to decent level, but now am getting a lot of oil from near the flywheel housing (almost like she's too full).
30AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
goodoldvic

Default Re: Accessory Oil Filter Question

The canister probably increases the amount of oil needed to bring the mark to full, but if its draining past the rear cap run it half way between full and add. I don't know if the filter you have drains back to your pan. If it leaks past the rear cap but that's the only issue run it between the marks. Don't go by the amount of oil you put in, just where it shows on the dip stick. Good luck
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
30AAFord

Will do that and see if that stops the leaking. Here is the way the filter is set up. One line comes out of the valve cover and the return line also serves as the retaining screw for the oil pump - so it's not a high flow system. The canister does not completely empty out to the pan when the engine is shut off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2651.jpg (73.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30AAFord View Post
Will do that and see if that stops the leaking. Here is the way the filter is set up. One line comes out of the valve cover and the return line also serves as the retaining screw for the oil pump - so it's not a high flow system. The canister does not completely empty out to the pan when the engine is shut off.
Wouldn't the flow be the other way? From the oil pump thru the filter and draining back into the valve cover? If so it appears the filter would mostly drain with the engine S/D...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
30AAFord

Yes - you're correct Y Blockhead, I had the flow backwards in my description above. Regardless, the canister permanently stays almost full after the engine is shut off.

On first filling the engine (it had been sitting with the pan off for almost 10 years), I went 5 quarts. It registered FULL on the dipstick and everything was good. After starting the engine, it dropped to the halfway point on the dipstick and stayed there. I then came to the conclusion that I needed to add more to account for the filter. Shortly thereafter, the leaking started at the flywheel cover.

Was concerned that not accounting for the canister filter was starving the engine for oil, but now think that it's probably too much oil in the system. Will try what Vic recommended above.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
duke36

A clarification question: the return line serves as a "retaining screw", are you saying that the fitting holds the oil pump ? Normally, there is just a plug there at the block. Also, my other make cars have that type filter reservoir which is also drained and filled at time of oil/ filter change.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote