Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
David R.

Default Re: OT: "An Alternator is a Battery Maintainer, -NOT a Battery Charger."

Modern car electrical systems require some voltage in the battery to power the “brain”, or micro chip or whatever it is to tell it what to do. I learned this the hard way on a fishing trip years ago. Miles from nowhere the dome light got left on accidentally in the blazer. We worked feverishly pushing the vehicle up hill an inch or two at a time and chocking wheels each time. Finally got enough room to try coast starting and it started when the clutch was popped....but it ran until the voltmeter went to zero and quit. After a several mile walk we found help and had to jump charge battery several minutes to get alternator going again.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: OT: "An Alternator is a Battery Maintainer, -NOT a Battery Charger."

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
Modern car electrical systems require some voltage in the battery to power the “brain”, or micro chip or whatever it is to tell it what to do. I learned this the hard way on a fishing trip years ago. Miles from nowhere the dome light got left on accidentally in the blazer.
I have a hard cover over the bed of 2006 F-150 and I have left the light on more than once and drained the battery.

I installed one of these bad dogs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to save me if/when I leave it on again. When the battery drains to ~11.5 volts this device shuts everything down, leaving enough voltage to start the truck.

During our "Stay at Home" period due to the corona virus I have not been driving my truck and the battery got low a few times. The battery protector just shut everything down. I now have my Battery Tender Jr. (not battery charger) connected to maintain the battery.

My wife's FLEX has a similar device built in from the factory.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-14-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #23
Conaway2

Interesting thread ! My car has the stock 6-volt positive ground generator - but with a Fun Projects electronic voltage regulator on it. With LED lights throughout the car, current draw is rarely more than 2 amps, and the EVR keeps the battery charged, but never overcharged. I’m very happy with the arrangement, as the car remains almost completely stock, headlights are bright enough at night, and engine looks stock if you look under the hood.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #24
Cool Hand Lurker

Can a 6-Volt voltage regulator from the 40's be used on a stock Model A Ford 3-brush generator without modifications?
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #25
rotorwrench

The 3-brush generator can't use a 2-brush type regulator unless it is modified to a 2-brush design. The fields are set up differently.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #26
Purdy Swoft

The original unmodified generator will work well on twelve volts. I swapped the original cut out with a Fun Projects 12 volt positive ground voltage regulator . This voltage regulator charges on demand similar to later generators but at lower maximum amps . This regulator looks just like and installs the same as the original cut out . I have used this setup for 14 years with good service . My head lamps are brighter than original and I get all other benefits of a twelve volt system .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #27
Cool Hand Lurker

Thanks for the info, Purdy. So we don't have to put a GM alternator on the engine if we want 12 Volts, just a battery! And the FP regulator, of course!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote