Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #61
Lanny

Default Re: Chevy Engine

The Corvette clubs I've belonged to were much like this FordBarn. I've had a few
stock original Vettes, also a '73 Vette station wagon, and a '60 drag car.

The purists in the clubs didn't have much good to say about the Non original Vettes
but many, many of the members were Very interested and open to quality built
modified ones, as they can have interesting characteristics, and members wanted
to know about the build,,,,.Very much like this forum.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #62
4t8v8

Why do I have a feeling the OP is the one really enjoying this?
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 AM   #63
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
Why do I have a feeling the OP is the one really enjoying this?
Nah, he ain't the only one, as there are 1832 views !!
However, if OP asks about what oil to use ...next...I'm onto him !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #64
Henry Floored

[QUOTE=Lanny;1439089]The Corvette clubs I've belonged to were much like this FordBarn. I've had a few
stock original Vettes, also a '73 Vette station wagon, and a '60 drag car.

The purists in the clubs didn't have much good to say about the Non original Vettes
but many, many of the members were Very interested and open to quality built
modified ones, as they can have interesting characteristics, and members wanted
to know about the build,,,,.Very much like this forum.
[QUOTE]

I think maybe I might not have articulated my point very well. I mean this with all due respect to anyone and everyone.

I'm not talking about purist versus modified. I have no problem with modifications and in fact it is none of my business what anyone does with their own car. ( though I think most people realize sooner or later that it's pretty tough to improve on an original at least styling wise)

I think maybe I see this differently because Ford is what put food on our table when we were growing up. It bought my clothes and maintained the roof over my head.

When it came time for my senior prom it paid for my tux rental and if I remember correctly even my boutonnière.

When I came of age I followed in my dad's footsteps and spent 25 years in Ford dealerships.

I don't know if the word is "pride", that seems like a shallow description. It's a different thing maybe loyalty I don't know whatever but in my life I have learned plenty of stuff that doesn't meet the eye.

I think the toughest things to explain are the most obvious one. How else can you get a response like Corvette purists balking at modifications. (I assure you you go at them with a Ford engine question and they'd find a new level of angst)

Very plainly what we are suggesting is that removing the very heart of an automobile and replacing it with the heart from a bitter rival's arsenal and surprisingly most of the guys on here give that a glowing endorsement.

It's as it Ford has never even made their own OHV engine. I'm pretty sure there are still a few million around to pick from in fact.

Time for work I've wasted enough breath. It's probably comical watching me tweak. Have a great day guys.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #65
tubman

I don't think you can compare the Corvette fanaticism with what's going on here. What drives the Corvette movement is the fact that you can tie a particular engine, transmission, and rear end to one particular vehicle (the whole matching numbers thing). For most other parts, almost everything has date codes that "have to match" within 6 months. This raises the whole experience to another level, especially considering the dollars involved. I had a good chuckle the other day when someone on here was amazed that a nice looking '41 Ford clock sold for $175 on eBay. The same day I saw a Corvette clock dated from October 1956 going for $1200! The Ford clock didn't work, but neither did the Corvette clock. The Ford clock looked to be in much better condition.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #66
Tim Ayers

Don't even get me started on the Mopar muscle car purist. They make Corvette guys look tame. I once witnessed a shouting match at a show that was sponsored by a local Mopar Club. These two dudes were going at each other over the "correct" color of the crayon mark that was somewhere on the car. I looked on in amazement at how ridiculous their argument was from an outsider's perspective.

Henry, I get and I would call it pride and that's awesome. Personally, I wouldn't give up on the hobby due to other's likes or dislikes.

It's all good and I get how some guys like their cars as stock as possible. I love them all and make room for all different opinions and tastes.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 03-07-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 AM   #67
tubman

This will be my last comment on this because it's getting too O/T, but I need to know : Do the Mopar guys judge wheel weights and valve stem caps for originality?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #68
fcompoccio

Thanks very much for the info and opinions.

I'm a retired mechanic and maintenance manual developer. I have a lot of experience.

I'm totally retired and in my home shop I rebuild classics and hotrods.

As soon as I finish up a 55 chevy I'll begin working on the 40 which I bought as a rolling chassis with new floor boards.

I'm at heart a chevy lover but always wanted a 40 Ford since I won model contest with one as a kid.

I bought this rolling chassis convertible to be my keepsake project, It has nothing and I mean nothing except some parts that I haven't inventoried yet but have all the parts books and been studying them.

It does have the metal top frame but I know some parts are missing.

Sooooooooo, Never worked on a classic Ford this old so I'll need a lot of help as I go along.

Any pics you provide will be most helpful.

I plan on keeping the exterior stock but everything else custom. I bought a new dash with A/C outlets and electronic VDO gauges at a bargain price. I want to put buckets with a console, electronic modern sound system, power windows etc.

New Chevy 350 with a GM 350 trans and 9" Ford rear, Mustang II front-end and coil springs rear and disc brakes all around.

I have beautiful chrome wire wheels with 15" fairly new tires.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank Compoccio

PS if someone can tell me how to insert pic ill paste one.
fcompoccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #69
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This will be my last comment on this because it's getting too O/T, but I need to know : Do the Mopar guys judge wheel weights and valve stem caps for originality?
Not sure for I don't own one, but wouldn't doubt it from what I've seen.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #70
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I find this debate a bit assuming. If someone posted a picture of an Ardun set-up, most fellas here would go bananas over it. An Ardun is closer to a Mopar/European hemi-design than it is to our beloved flathead.

Maybe it wasn't in the right forum, but can't fellas just answer the gentlemen's question without added their opinion about how dreadful they think the idea is?

I think there is plenty of room for all of us here.
I agree.. I find it to be very narrow minded to make sarcastic remarks in response to questions about repairs etc., that might involve modifications to an EFV8.
I would venture a guess that if all the questions pertaining to repairs, etc., to an EFV8 that are about non stock modifications/repairs to same were totaled up, the non stock questions and answers, would exceed the stock questions and responses.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #71
Ol' Ron

I'd go with a 700R4. The 9" is very heavy and can ruin the ride quality. Could use a Dana/ Spicer from a jeep grand Cherokee 3.73 w posy standard and very reasonable cost. Glad I could help, lov them 40's,
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #72
dude

I always thought sharing ideas was a good thing. I've looked at a lot of forums , and can say I've learned a little on each site. A 1/2" wrench will fit on a old Ford as well as a old Chevy. One of the problems in this great country , is if you are not on my side you are on the "wrong" side. I'm a gear head , love to hear your stories.