Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
BouncinBetty

Default Swampy Holiday Washington DC

We are visiting Washington for a weeks holiday from 5 Dec , can anyone recommend anything that a nut off anything old would be interested in old cars ,trucks ,Railroad's ect.........

I have all ready got the war memorials and the Smithsonian Museum on my list , I don't know if the B&O Railroad museum is to far out of town, i also have to keep my wife from getting board .

First visit to the States so very excited .
BouncinBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
sunshine

Default Re: Swampy Holiday Washington DC

The best railroad museum is in BALTIMORE MD. Also in ELICOTT CITY MD. which is near Baltimore .it is an old mill town with alot of antique shops SUNSHINE
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #3
sunshine

B&O. RAILROAD MUSEUM 901 W. PRATT ST. BALT. MD. 410 752 2490 .ELIC0TT CITY STA. is oldest surviving sta. in US. AND IS NEAR BALT. BALT. IS ABOUT 30 MILES FROM D.C. Sunshine
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
mhsprecher

There is a trolley museum just outside Washington, DC and a streetcar museum in Baltimore, though I have never been there. The Museum of Industry in Baltimore is also good. The aquarium in Baltimore is also worth going to, so you could make a day of it up there if you wanted to.

If the weather is good in DC, think about going to see the monuments at night. Very cool.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
36 ford

The AACA Auto museum is a can't miss in Hershey, PA about 2 hours away

http://www.aacamuseum.org/
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
jrhaelig

You might also enjoy the Spy Museum on your first visit.

It's in DC quite nearby Ford's Theatre (where Pres Lincoln was assassinated). The theater might be a bit Yank centristic but it is significant.

Monuments at night definitely. Wear layers. It was chilly at night for us in October.
1963 Lincoln Continental
1939 Buick
jrhaelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, BouncinBetty, You'll have plenty to do and see in one week.

I suggest you review the details of the public train/metro system. www.wmata.com

One place available on a stop of the system is Arlington National Cemetery, the historic home of Robert E. Lee's wife's family. There is a great view of the city from there, massive historic sites including the Marine Corps Memorial (aka. Iwo Jima, just outside the cemetery), Kennedy sites, also the Cemetery is right beside Fort Myer, where in 1908 Orville Wright trained some of the first military pilots (and the site of the first military aviation fatality). Also on the Virginia side of the river, and not far away, but not metro accessible, is Mount Vernon the plantation dedicated to the history of George Washington.

If you are wandering outside the city, then the Smithsonian Air & Space out at Dulles is pretty impressive. Historic Leesburg VA is not far away and you can spend an easy half-day there shopping, dining, and civil war history.

The Air & Space downtown is one of the more popular ones. The Natural History is where you'll see the gemstones. American History and American Indian are both a full day too, with American History having the flag from Fort McHenry, and some significant cars.

The train stuff in Baltimore & Ellicott City are premium if you're into that stuff. It would be a full day in the car to get over and back while seeing the sites. Also the National Capitol Trolly Museum, while nice, is not really metro-accessible or near any other super-historic sites.

The Library of Congress is pretty neat. The National Arburetum. Any of the art galleries (have you ever seen a Rembrant? we have one).

If you're hoping on going up in the Washington Monument you'll have to do some research there, I haven't done it in a really long time, and I think the tickets get sold out pretty quickly each day. Incredible view from there though!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-30-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
petehoovie

Avoid the White House. Nothing worth seeing there....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36 ford View Post
The AACA Auto museum is a can't miss in Hershey, PA about 2 hours away

http://www.aacamuseum.org/
I second that, to travel over the Atlantic and not go a little more would be a mistake. I once passed within 50 mi of Turin Italy(Torino) thinking, 'next time I'll see their museum'. Young and dumb.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #10
VeryTangled

Here's a great resource... http://washington.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Hi Everyone, Well, if BouncinBetty is going to be at the DC Mall, then walking up to the White house to get a look can be a highlight. It's much easier to get a view of the south side. A long walk to get over to the North, as there are pedestrian restrictions. Also, if you're there after dark, (about 5pm), you can see the National Christmas Tree which will be lit on the 3rd. I think it's on the Ellipse, just between the Washington Monument and the White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
I second that, to travel over the Atlantic and not go a little more would be a mistake. I once passed within 50 mi of Turin Italy(Torino) thinking, 'next time I'll see their museum'. Young and dumb.
The AACA Museum at Hershey is a very worthwhile museum, especially if you would like to learn a little about Tucker's, they opened a whole wing devoted to them last fall, pretty amazing. They rotate their collection frequently. I've been there three or four times in the last three years and there's always something interesting and fresh.

Unfortunately it's about 135 miles from the White House, and it's about 2:30 one way with no traffic snarl-ups. No matter which way you go you have to cross the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg, and that thing crawls during both rush hours. OTOH, if you take the road from Frederick MD (very rich history, and excellent DC daytrip destination, BTW), you'd be passing through Gettysburg PA, and I can go on forever about that town!

If you're into this sort of thing we have a fabulous Zoo with a chance at seeing Pandas. Free, and Metro accessible. Another all-day trip, too much for just 1/2 day I think, plus it's built on a steep valley.

The B&O Railroad Museum http://www.borail.org/ is also about 1 hour drive away, in downtown Baltimore.

As I said earlier, having 'only' a week in DC, well, it's a 'Target Rich Environment.'

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 11-30-2015 at 09:06 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
mhsprecher

I second everything that VT/Jeff has said. A trip to Harrisburg is an all day affair. A worthwhile trip that I have not made myself, but there is so much close to here and not so much driving involved.

If you like history, the National Portrait Gallery is a nice one. Hotels in DC are stupid expensive. You could get one up near BWI airport and take the commuter train into town every day. Cheap and no parking worries.

More suggestions than what kind of oil to use in your Model A!

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-28-2015 at 10:05 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Binx

Go to the bottom floor of the American History Museum. Trust me, you'll like it!

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #13
Clem Clement

My group (national Capital Railroad) runs the Large Scale trains under the national Christmas tree. Stunningly beautiful at night. http://nctrr.com/ trains run from 10am to 10 Pm.

Also the special Christmas display at the Botanic Garden near the Capital is stunning: Flowers, large scale trains and stunning custom-built copies of famous DC buildings.
http://dc.about.com/od/christmasphot...3087c-0-ab_msb
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Ha ha! Surely won't see Mo'chelle feeding her kids the lunch she forces other people's kids to eat at school.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
BouncinBetty

Thumbs up Re: Swampy Holiday Washington DC

Just got in from the weekend you Guy's have done me proud and is very much appreciated , could do with longer but I hope this will be the first of many visits to your country .

God bless you all from Me the Wife and of course Bouncin Betty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00993 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg (47.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0267 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg (59.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Ha ha! Surely won't see Mo'chelle feeding her kids the lunch she forces other people's kids to eat at school.
Her name is Michelle. You don't need to be a disrespectful ass with an irrelevant comment.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
A bones

Default Re: Swampy Holiday Washington DC Day trip?

[QUOTE=VeryTangled;1197287]Here's a great resource... http://washington.org/

No matter which way you go you have to cross the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg, and that thing crawls during both rush hours.

Hi Very Tangled, good stuff, you have a great knowledge of the area. Just need to say going North on I-83 avoid Harrisburg by jumping onto the PA Turnpike (I-76 East). Cross the river, hop off the next exit (the toll is little, I used to pay for five axles). Take I-283 north to US 322 East into Hershey. Doing so puts you miles ahead of everyone else.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
BouncinBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
Go to the bottom floor of the American History Museum. Trust me, you'll like it!

Lonnie
You were right I did like it a nice surprise and made up for not getting to Baltimore .Thanks
Old 12-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #19
BouncinBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
My group (national Capital Railroad) runs the Large Scale trains under the national Christmas tree. Stunningly beautiful at night. http://nctrr.com/ trains run from 10am to 10 Pm.

Also the special Christmas display at the Botanic Garden near the Capital is stunning: Flowers, large scale trains and stunning custom-built copies of famous DC buildings.
http://dc.about.com/od/christmasphot...3087c-0-ab_msb
Saw the trains at the tree and in the gardens really good effort also there was a layout in Union Station is this also your group ?

Brilliant .
Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #20
deuce_roadster

itslow--you just have to ignore the moronic posts. It does no good to respond to them, just gives them a soapbox.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote