Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2015, 05:05 PM   #21
40cpe

Default Re: Rotella Oil

The article references the 2007 change in diesel emission requirements, then I saw the $9.98/gal cost of the Valvoline oil and have to assume the article is aged. I don't have a horse in the race, but I wonder how much has changed in the interim?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #22
brake1000

Carcraft.com has a ton of information on oil, for flat tappet cam engines.
brake1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #23
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
I wouldn't put non detergent oil in any motor........
Why? You do know the engine in your 51 was designed to use non-detergent oil,and that as long as you change it on a regular basis,there is no problem doing this,right?

Your oil system is designed to NOT keep trash in suspension,but to allow it to settle in the base so it drains out when you change the oil. Your oil filter was an option,and it was designed to catch the bigger parts.

Modern systems that use hydraulic lifters needed a different oil system where the filter trapped any solid contaminants in the oil in suspension so the filter traps them.

HD oil works fine in a clean older engine that is well maintained,but if you try to run it in one all sludged up,ugly things will happen.

I bought a 57 Ford 645 tractor from a guy once that sold it to buy one of those new tiny things that looks like a toy and has tracks. Said the tractor didn't do the job,and that's why he was selling it. I ran it around his yard long enough to get it warm,and it was holding 40 psi oil pressure at idle and not smoking,so I bought it.

I used it at home to run a bush hog maybe 2 hours a month and to occasionally move a car or a motor around,so it took a while for the real reason he sold it to show up. It started to gradually lose oil pressure,and dropped down to around 5 psi at idle. I figured he had STP'd it to death,and figured I would going to need a crank kit to fix it. Since I needed it right them I figured I would try a oil and filter change to see if I could get by for the time being,and was shocked when I screwed the oil filter off of the block and it felt like it was full of lead. I immediately went to the NAPA store and bought a couple of spin-on filters for it and a case of 30 wt non-detergent oil,and changed it out. Oil pressure jumped right back up to 50 psi at idle warmed up.

I used it that way for a few hours and the oil pressure started to drop again,so this time I just changed the filter and added 1 qt of non-detergent oil. Oil pressure jumped right back up to 50 psi and I haven't had any problems with it since.

IF I ever drop the base pan and pull the rocker cover off I may clean the oil pickup screen,base pan,and valve cover,and then fill it with HD oil,but not until them.

Evidently the guy I bought it from changed the oil right after he bought it,and filled it with HD oil. Then the oil pressure dropped drastically on him like it did with me,so he panicked and changed the oil and filter again and put it up for sale.

This problem is worse if the previous owners used Quaker State or some other parrafin-based oil in the engine. I took off valve covers on several OHV engines when I was a kid working at a gas station/garage in the late 50's that had valves ticking,and could barely see the rocker arms for all the sludge build-up. Every time I asked the owner what oil he used,it was Quaker State.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #24
paul2748

The problem with this study that it is very out of date. The oils shown in the first three categories (good, better, best) are no longer available (CI-4)
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #25
paul2748

I wouldn't either. Who wants all the crud lying in the internal parts of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
I wouldn't put non detergent oil in any motor........
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #26
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
Why? You do know the engine in your 51 was designed to use non-detergent oil,and that as long as you change it on a regular basis,there is no problem doing this,right?

Your oil system is designed to NOT keep trash in suspension,but to allow it to settle in the base so it drains out when you change the oil. Your oil filter was an option,and it was designed to catch the bigger parts.
My '51 was not designed for any particular oil but had to use the only thing that was available at the time, (non- detergent).
It was changed to detergent oil only at about 72k miles and after a few
short term oil and filter changes it has used nothing but detergent oil until now at 112K miles. The engine has never been overhauled.
The oil filter is not an option but is standard equipment on my and all other 51's.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #27
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
My '51 was not designed for any particular oil but had to use the only thing that was available at the time, (non- detergent).
Isn't that another way of saying it was designed to be used with non-detergent oil?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #28
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
Isn't that another way of saying it was designed to be used with non-detergent oil?
Nope!
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #29
flatjack9

Filters became standard equipment in the late forties, probably 46 or 47.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #30
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Filters became standard equipment in the late forties, probably 46 or 47.
Thanks,I didn't know that.