Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
Roadster62

Default Re: New Jersey Garage Sale – Not Model A But Still A Great Find

^^^^^^^^^^^ I've had the pleasure of working on some truely great cars in years past, but can't understand the number you mentioned on this car. Maybe if I was a smoker I'd understand. Bob
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
joeypoconos

Bob – I cannot attest to what some of the bidders were smoking, however, I assure you I was completely sober. My best guess as to why the car sold for eighty big ones is:
A) Celebrity provenance
B) In my estimation, Doris Duke can best be described as the female counterpart of Howard Hughes. Very quirky lady living a very quirky life style. We are talking about a lady who left a 1.5 billion dollar estate to her butler (later overturned).
C) The car was custom built for Miss Duke and is considered to be the only example extant.
D) There are lots of people to whom money is no object. To wit, multiple bidders.
E) Here’s a quote from a newspaper article, from the day, describing this auction.

“The most important car in the auction is the 1938 Packard 1608 V12 Town Car, with a custom hand-crafted body by Rollston, which was originally built for tobacco heiress Doris Duke. Though the car needs total restoration, it does fit the definition of a truly historic car, and is expected to someday show up at Pebble Beach”.

Read more:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/legendary-co...#ixzz2BvLl5WkC

I’ve been sorting through the gray matter that fills the cavity between my ears. If memory serves me, per the auctioneer, the car was purchased by a lawyer in Connecticut, or a very wealthy individual living in Rhode Island. Can’t remember which one, if any, is accurate.

http://www.classiccars.ws/awards/193...uke/index.html

http://celebrityclassiccars.com/packard.html

Last edited by joeypoconos; 11-11-2012 at 09:54 AM.
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
ronn

Well Timothy, didn't realize the rolls was a "pebble beach" cantender-so many of this style around.

If so, your buddy should have had no problem antiing up and buying the beast.

Parts car-not on your life!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Roadster62

Joey, Thank you for the link with the update of the Doris Duke Packard. Yes, it looks a lot nicer restored, but I personally don't see it as a head turner, post 1932 automobiles just start to look less attractive to me. This has nothing to do with value, or the people that may or may not like them. Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
joeypoconos

Sent an email to the Dusty Old Bags regarding the cars. Here's the response.

Yes the cars are still for sale the owner turned down an offer of $55,000.00 for both cars.
Bill
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote