Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
1930-Pickup

Default One-Piece Side Splash Aprons in August 1930, Reading the Frame Cross Member Number

For my 1930 CCPU I finally did some cleaning, preserving, and multi-angled lighting of the identification number stamped on the frame cross member (in front of the seat riser). The results were very unexpected.

The number was stamped sloppy, to say the least. The left side of the number shows significant corrosion. After the number was cleaned and preserved, I photographed it using multiple lighting conditions. I then asked three other people to help interpret the photos and to physically look at the number with an eye loop. The consensus is as follows:

8 30 LA 3803
August 1930
Long Beach, CA
Body #3803 (most likely means 3803 CCPU bodies made so far)

Interestingly, Long Beach was only one of two Ford plants actually adding a date code to this stamped number.

I was surprised to see 'August' as the build date. I thought it was going to be just a little bit later in the year since the truck has the one-piece side splash aprons. (This truck has never been restored or apart...body has never been off)

According to the Judging Standards that I have (revised 1997, Page 13-6, Running Board Shields), "Beginning in September 1930 a one piece shield began appearing".

Does the latest copy of the Judging standards still show September as the implementation date for the one piece shields?

The Long Beach plant had been on-line only a couple of months, does that play a factor? It was once suggested that my truck was a special order since it has a very rare right side spare tire...so did they put the 'newest' goodies on it for this customer?

I love breaking the 'known' rules
Old 03-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: One-Piece Side Splash Aprons in August 1930, Reading the Frame Cross Member Numbe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
...still looking for an expert in the one-piece splash apron cut-in date. Do we have experts out there?