Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
ericr

Default Re: Freedom ain't free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Sadly, most of the recent casualities are from events not related to keeping us or anyone more free.

My cousin flew ch46's during the recent conflicts and I have heard the stories. All the more reason to hug a vet and thank them.
I sure agree, the best thing we can do for our present armed forces is not involve them in haywire misadventures.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #22
captndan

Don't throw rocks at our President to celebrate our freedom. Instead stand up and salute our flag and Veterans. Semper Fi!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #23
holdover

It is not free, and there are memorials all over with their names on them, as has been said "All gave some, some gave all" remember If we never forget, they will always be with us.

USMC Vietnam '68-69

and to all those chopper guys who saved my butt, too many times to count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYOAqxlL_Y

Last edited by holdover; 07-04-2017 at 01:58 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
That's a long winded way of saying that while July 4th is a special day in the US, let's not forget the sacrifices of other nations.
Synchro -

You are right - and I respect all those allies that I had the privilege of working with over the years.

My father in law served something like '14 years before the colors' as the Brits put it. He was Irish but served in the Gordon Highlanders - and he managed to survive from their first action in 1914 to the end of WWI. Emigrated to the US, became a citizen, married finally at 40 and then had 8 children, my wife being the youngest and only girl. All 7 of my brothers in law and I served - some of us during peacetime and some of us earning our pay the hard way. So in our way, the family itself was an allied endeavor. But then one of my ancestors died on the green at Lexington on 19 April 1775 - so we have seen the whole gamut of enemy to being as close as possible.

And any Aussie I ever worked with was great.

Enjoy this day of freedom. And in my case also my wedding anniversary.

Dale
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #25
Benson

Default Re: Freedom ain't free!- The man in the doorway ...

On this Fourth of July ...

Special thanks to "The Man in the Doorway" ...

click below to read about "The Man in the Doorway":

From the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association website:
http://www.vhpa.org/stories/doorway.pdf

I arrived "In country" Jan 26th, 1968.

It was Jan 30th, "Oh Dark Thirty". The VC liked to start attacks in the confusion in middle of the 0200 changing of the guard.

The Tet Offensive was in full force and the Viet Cong were inside our perimeter wire and we were out of ammo.

That was when I first met "The Man in the doorway" when he kicked the boxes of 7.62 out the doorway.

We never had a chance to thank these folks or the Cobra and Huey gunships which spent the rest of the night and the next night overhead.

THe M-134 (6000 rounds a minute) is amazing to say the least!

I remember the deafening sound and the red light from the tracer rounds which lit up the ground and overwhelmed the parachute flares.

M-134s from 20 or 30 feet away sound like a 10,000 Cubic inch chainsaw at full throttle!

I remember shoveling thousands of 7.62 casings and the green clips from M-60 ammo belts into 55 gallon drums the next day. They were 6 inches deep in some places.

These kind of scenes happened somewhere in Vietnam every day and night during this time!!

Last edited by Benson; 08-10-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #26
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post
Synchro -

You are right - and I respect all those allies that I had the privilege of working with over the years.

My father in law served something like '14 years before the colors' as the Brits put it. He was Irish but served in the Gordon Highlanders - and he managed to survive from their first action in 1914 to the end of WWI.

Dale
You brought back a memory I have of sitting one day with an ex-wife's granddad who was a WWI vet, 93rd Regt of Foot (Sutherland Highlanders). Some of the stories were like being there in person. One was when patrols were sent out and most all the regiment were Gallic speaking squaddies and knew no King's english, coming back into the lines, those on guard that didn't understand Gallic from German would fire on any fellow squaddies thinking they were Germans.

He said his kilt was quite warm but very heavy when soaked from rain and mud.
He was a tall gentleman and at one time quite a statue of a fellow, I'm sure.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #27
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
That's a long winded way of saying that while July 4th is a special day in the US, let's not forget the sacrifices of other nations.
I haven't, I knew and remember a few diggers while there........and all were appreciated for being there along side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmgwx77osw

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Terry, NJ

One more story and I'll quit, seeing as how I didn't serve because of my back (Severe Scoliosis) In 1916, Pres. Wilson said "Our boys will never fight on foreign soil" to win the election. He won and They did! In April 1917 we declared and my great uncle Hermann enlisted. They made him a Machine gunner and put him at the front. A little back ground! My Great Grand father, Hermann Dietzold came to the USA and Hermann Jr was the oldest child. The average life of a machine gunner was 3 weeks. My uncle lasted till Nov 10th, 1918. Then a mortar shell came over and killed him and about twenty others. If only he could have stayed alive another 15 hours! His father, my Great Grandfather, lived to see his native land go to war against his adopted homeland twice in his life time.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #29
48fordnut

Salute to all.
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #30
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post
Synchro -

Enjoy this day of freedom. And in my case also my wedding anniversary.

Dale
So, you LOST your independence on the 4th July!!!!
Happy anniversary.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #31
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
So, you LOST your independence on the 4th July!!!!
Yep, 47 years ago today. That was 4 weeks after she pinned my bars on - that gig only lasted 33 years 2 months and 9 days, but who was counting! I'm just glad this loss of independence is still going - she should have had a revolution a long time ago putting up with me.

Dale
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #32
DougVieyra

Shortly after the American colonist began their civil war against their English 'Mother Country", while the price of their struggle for independence was still fresh in their mind, A quote began to appear in print which was true then (the recent War of 1812 had just finished), and is just as true today:

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" .

This had been often attributed to Thomas Jefferson (who know something about the struggle to keep liberty and freedom), but was more likely first coined by John Philpot Curran's statement in 1817. In any case, this one line piece of prose represents a true and factual reality that must never be forgotten.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #33
Benson

Air Mobile .... Sir!!

Last edited by Benson; 08-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #34
sjhark

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1494278] When US forces entered Iraq, there was no sign of Sadam's Air Force, which was significant. Australian forces had taken it out before hand (without the loss of a single life or aircraft.). President Bush acknowledged that.

I have an interesting follow up to this. I was in Iraq from 2003-2004 in an Army National Guard transportation unit. We traveled all over the countries of Iraq and Kuwait. In our travels we often came across abandoned Iraqi fighter jets parked in tree groves, miles from any airstrips. In western Iraq, where it's more desert-type terrain, they found many, many fighters actually buried deep in the sand. The Iraqis still had an Air Force, but they had learned early on to hide it and never get caught in the air!
I found a couple pictures, but couldn't find the ones of the planes buried in the sand. I'll have to keep looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iraq 040.jpg (51.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg iraq 042.jpg (45.5 KB, 29 views)
sjhark is offline   Reply With Quote