Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Houdini

Default Emergency Tow Insurance vs pay for tow

A few folks recommended to me to just get an AAA membership and use it for not only towing the A, in case of an emergency, but you can use it for any of your cars?

I'm a new A owner, but I've never had to have a tow for my other cars since once in the 1970s.

I see that AAA membership has 3 different levels, the cheapest only tows up to 7 miles, while the second level tows up to 100 miles.

I'm wondering if its worth it, since I think for me the main reason to join is the towing aspect, not for flats, battery or fuel.

What I don't know is how much does it run these days to just call a tow truck to say tow you 10 miles or so. I suppose that would depend greatly on where you are, as far as rates and proximity to services would be.

Heck, I sure hope that I don't ever need a tow, and I would want to get my car home to do any repairs versus being towed to the tow facility for repairs anyway.

Anyone have any experience with AAA towing, or how much it costs to just pay for a tow. Again, your actual experience would be helpful, as well as your advice.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Emergency Tow Insurance vs pay for tow

Our shop charges about $85 for a hook, $4-$5 mile after the 1st mile I think.

Go with the AAA, Allstate, AARP, get the 100 mile membership, it's cheap insurance. Can be used 4 times a year. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

About 10 years ago I was on my way to the Model A national meet in Dearborn, and my Caravan tranny went out just north of Chicago. It cost me $100 to get towed 10 miles into a Walmart parking lot. I then called my brother to come with the Olds and my towbar so I could pull it 400 miles home.

I've never had AAA, but many people have it and like it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My tow insurance is through Haggerty and it guarantees me flat bed and enclosed if I need it. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Bob C

You should go to there web site and check out their services, it's not just roadside
service. You get DMV service, travel agent, notary, free maps and travel guides.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Our '04 Ford Escape was hit down by Peoria a couple years ago. Ins. company said 'we'll pay to have the car fixed who do you want?' I told them a very good friend of mine who runs a body shop and did first class work. They said 'OK' and flatbed-ed the car home, about 85 miles.

Bill they paid to do that was almost $1,000. They didn't squawk about it.

I'd get the AAA if I were you I don't have it but do have a towing service on Haggerty and I don't go more than 15 miles from home in the antiques.......................
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
harleynut

I've had AAA for years and wouldn't be without it. I have my daughter on it also. She used for a dead battery a few times over the years...flat tires...etc...my 55 chevy pickup got a load of dirt in carb....also pay extra for ATV towing because I still take trips on my Harley. I don't belong to a Model A club so I'm on my own if I break down. Bottom line buy it, you just never know
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Your antique insurance should incld some sort of towing reimburse after you find someone to tow it ....AAA is worth it for an emergency just watch when the monkeys hook your car.... Get the 100 miles free it's a no brainer....

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-31-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
burner31

Hagerty Insurance covers all my classics, it comes with no hassle towing.
Be careful with the normal auto insurance, when it comes to classics, and when you really need it, you may find that you're not as covered as you may think.
I've heard horror stories about the other carriers, look into the companies that specialize in classics, Hagerty being just one of the best, there are several to choose from with prices lower than the carrier that covers your 2015 nissan whatever.
The no hassle coverage helps me sleep at night, and gives me comfort when I'm on the road. And with all the uninsured drivers out there...Ya.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
Clydes 31 P/U

Well worth it in my opinion it covers not only your own vehicles but ones you're traveling in,. I was with my brother in law in his F-350 pulling a 30' enclosed trailer down to Florida when we stopped at a rest area, shut the truck off came back out and no start, the starter went out, I called AAA gave them my policy number they sent a wrecker, towed it to Ford dealer for repair, I waited with the trailer and we were back on the road within 2 hrs, I couldn't ask for a better value, I opted for the top package with a 250 mi tow it will get me all the way home from our camper up north if something bad happens. peace of mind....... priceless
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Anteek29

We have the AAA with 100 mile tow. We have 5 older cars...one or two usually need
roadside/tow every year, so we sleep well knowing we are covered. Have Hagerty without roadside/tow for the Model A.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
ericr

one of the problems that I have encountered with any towing service, is that a need for a service often occurs en masse e.g. battery conks out in bitter winter weather, tire goes flat during a rainstorm after you drive through a (bottomless) pothole. I have AAA, have rarely used it. If I had the time I would try to look at Yelp or some other means of ascertaining the best opinions of the various options.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Ron in Quincy

I now have AAA 200 mile membership, use to have 100 mile.

Had my "A" throw a fan blade, wipe out the radiator and hood, AAA loaded the "A" on a flat bed truck and took me to Quincy, CA, my home. The trip was 125 miles, AAA paid the 1st 100 miles, the last 25 miles cost me $195.00, so I upgraded to 200 mile Membership.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Bruce Adams

My AAA policy (100 miles) also specifies Flatbed haul. Be advised they (AAA or Hagerty et.al) might not cover a Franchise Tow on a bridge or highway, and AAA might have to pick you up after being hauled off the exit.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

We have had AAA for years. The annual fee is worth it to me for the piece of mind that my wife or daughter are not stuck out on the road. Never know when a Model A or Modern will decide to throw a hissy fit...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #16
Houdini

Wow, I'm surprised at such quick responses and all the great advice. (maybe your like us and staying home for New Years eve by ourselves).

Seriously, thanks for all the advice. I was leaning towards AAA but wanted to get your opinions and experience. I have Hagerty's too, but don't have the towing insurance. As pointed out, AAA will cover all my cars. So even though I haven't had it till now, I think I'll sign up. The mid level membership with up to 4 calls and tows of 100 miles seems like the best option for me.
Houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #17
Fred K-OR

I have had AAA for years. I use to use it to tow my company vans when they broke down. I also use many of their maps and travel books when I travel. So for me it has been a good deal. So far I have used the 100 mile tow membership because I rarely travel with the A more than that amount. Also Hagerty does cover some towing for me. Guess I like to be covered for all possibilities.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
ronn

Houdini,
you picked the right service if you are going to drive your car any distance. 4 tows at 100 miles each is great service.
A 100 mile tow is a minimum of 300. by an independant tow co.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #19
Kahuna

I have Grundy Insurance.
I pay the tow, then they reimburse me.
Used it once, great service
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
Cool Hand Lurker

One thing that has not been mentioned is that when you call a tow truck and say AAA they know they will get paid.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote