Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Mart

Default What's that fearful racket? Mart's 41 pickup. Somethings wrong. 2021 Ep26 Pt2.

The truck was making such an awful racket I didn't want to run it to try and troubleshoot. As a consequence I went the long way round to isolate and fix the problem. A lesson learnt. Try the simple things first.
Mart.
https://youtu.be/2R1_fDsv4rQ
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: What's that fearful racket? Mart's 41 pickup. Somethings wrong. 2021 Ep26 Pt2.

I've had this issue with the stock bushed water pumps a few times. The oil feed is a "drip feed" it is not under pressure. Sometimes the holes are clogged up with crud (in the block). The bushing is porous enough to let oil seep into it (at least that is the theory). One thing that causes a lot of these issues is running the belt too tight - as it just wears out the bushing. This is one of the reasons I went to ball-bearing pumps . . . so I don't have to mess with these issues anymore.

When Skip rebuilds our pumps over here - he removes the bushings and goes to a ball-bearing (like some of the truck pumps have). I believe others like Bob Drake also have ball-bearing pumps with good impellers on them (providing another benefit of better water flow).

Thanks for the videos - I enjoy watching them! Take care and be well.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: What's that fearful racket? Mart's 41 pickup. Somethings wrong. 2021 Ep26 Pt2.

None of my Skip rebuilt pumps have bearings, still has bushings but has turbine impeller.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
Russ/40

Skip is adamant that bushings are better. He uses no bearings. Bearings fail with minor seal leaks but bushings do not.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Well, guess I was completely wrong on that one! Thanks for the correction gang

The important point is that you still need the drip oil feed to Skip's pumps - very important to know!

The good news is that I've had Skip's pumps on my 32 Cab for about 3 years - and they haven't leaked a drop of water.

Whew . . . better drink either MORE coffee . . . or LESS! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:18 AM   #6
fortyonerag

Way back when I was an auto elec rebuilding starters and such, we used to oil bushings before installation.

How I was shown to do it was place the bushing on your thumb and fill it to the top with oil. Place a finger over the other end and squeeze the oil inside the bushing. It will eventually 'sweat' oil.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:49 AM   #7
Mart

That's interesting, Rag, I'd have done that with the new bushing if I had heard of it before.
Next time, though.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #8
Lawrie

I store mine in a jar of engine oil.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
RalphG

That was quite a racket! I've never heard one make a sound. In fact I did not know they had an oil feed. Wish now I'd checked when I installed the new (rebuilt) pumps on the 52 Merc back in 2015. So far, so good.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
Planojc

I always give the pumps a squirt of oil down the oil feed hole when installing a new pump.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #11
Terry,OH

Mart: I suggest you also look at your generator also! From appearance the pulley does not look to be threaded all the way onto the armature. The armature should be sticking out of the pulley about 3/16" There should be a recessed area on the armature shaft where a snap ring fits and prevents the pulley from unscrewing and winding up embedded into the radiator. The pulley you have is for the early 1940 generator but the body of the generator is later 41 style with changed windings of the field (Gen body stamped B by the field terminal). The pulley was changed to the slightly smaller diameter 01A-10130-B Will have part number embedded into the casting. This will get the generator to charge at the proper RPM. If the generator front bearing is bad look for a 6203 with double rubber seals as a replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03078.jpg (54.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03079.jpg (70.4 KB, 6 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote