Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Another fiber timing gear bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in MT View Post
Here is my take on the fiber gear vs the aluminum one. The price difference is about $15 between the better fiber gear and the aluminum one. I have found that the aluminum ones are not noisy if mated with a new steel crank gear. ( the whine I believe is caused by differences in the pitch angle and roughness in gears.) Is the $30 cost of a new crank gear and the upgrade to the aluminum gear worth the risk of future failure? My customers and I say no. If you are throwing a motor together to go to the auction, I will send you a box of used timing gears that I usually throw away, cause they aren't worth the risk to me.
My thoughts exactly. I went one step further and got the bronze matched set from Dan.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
forever4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Here's my take on this. If the clearances are correct, you are not going to force anything out of the mains even if you rotate the crank. .0015 is just too tight to get any "fluff" out. It is so close even oil has a hard time passing, is this not what keeps the rear leaks from happening. A pipe cleaner might work if you bend a L on the end and rotate it to snag the "fluff". Even this is no guarantee. You might think the tube is clean and it could still be clogged. To be frank, there is no way to be sure except to remove the crank and clean everything.

As far as my method of cleaning blocks and parts for rebuild Vince, till you call for a rebuilt engine and can prove I do substandard work, it's none of your business. I really don't appreciate you making that kind of snide remarks.

Like I said, take all information here "with a grain of salt" and beware of the consequences, including mine.
Maybe it is hard for some people to comprehend, but the clearing path is down through the oil feed tube, along the babbitt groove, and exit out the oil wells.
NOT forced through a 0.0015 gap between crank and bearing surfaces.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Carl,

Like your very wise approach .... nothing like installing the best available ..... best Model A tires available ..... best Model A timing gear available.

Almost 99% of required maintenance & 99% of our wasted time & our wasted money usually happens when all of us try to cut corners.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Carl,

Like your very wise approach .... nothing like installing the best available ..... best Model A tires available ..... best Model A timing gear available.

Almost 99% of required maintenance & 99% of our wasted time & our wasted money usually happens when all of us try to cut corners.
Lessons learned the hard way, I'm afraid.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Carl,

Unfortunately Barners are famous for wanting best quality for the lowest price and then they complain when it does not happen and call it Chinese junk or blame the vendor! Quality does not come cheap. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:32 PM   #26
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In my opinion, James is right. Flushing oil pipes in to the bearings is NOT a good idea. There is more in there then just time gear, if any.

If the engine is as a normal A engine is, it will have some slug in the pipe, meaning metal particles. Flushing will do more harm then good.

They are easy to clean, the right way. Make an attachment to the shop vac hose, with a small hose just a little under 5/16.

Slide it in the oil tubes and suck all out that is in there, DO NOT FLUSH IN TO THE BEARING!

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #27
AL in NY

The engine was running when the timing gear disintegrated, so it's possible that some of the pieces entered the valve chamber through the large hole behind the timing gear. I would take off the valve cover and check to see if any pieces are laying on the floor of the valve chamber. If you see a lot of them, chances are some may have gone down the oil supply holes to the main bearings. Depending of the amount you see in the valve chamber, that would determine whether you pull the engine and chase the holes for chunks of the timing gear.