Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
El Rat

Default Re: Would Anybody Attempt To Fix This?

I can't believe this is a serious question!
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #22
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
This piston has a hole thru it. Exact brand replacement not available. One close in weight (8 grams) is. Plug the hole with weld and use it or? Don't really want to get into a major tear-down. Motor has a recent rebuild and practically no miles on it.
Even if you could weld/repair..fill the holes..How do you know they will stand up under the heat, pressure, explosions of the internal combustion Engine!
Replace/ If you can't find the parts...get another engine!
I can't believe that you can't find a replacement? Is it a flathead?
Search for original parts if you have to.
I knew a guy with a 1933 packard and searched for 2 years for a part!

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-26-2015 at 06:36 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
Pete

"--Quote (Originally by FrankWest)---
Even if you could weld/repair..fill the holes..How do you know they will stand up under the heat, pressure, explosions of the internal combustion Engine!"

Frank, don't give welding a bad name. Pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and wrist pins have been welded, remachined and run for years in street applications.

One of the fastest unlimited hydroplanes in vintage history ran pistons with welded domes in one of it's first races. That was an Allison aircraft engine with 80 lb of boost pressure.
There is still a stock model A engine out there running that has a crankshaft that was broken in 2 pieces at the #4 rod lournal.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #24
FrankWest

Quote:
Huh? Get another engine? For what? Is it a flathead? Huh?
Only if you cannot replace the piston..But Your should be able to find a replacement..It may take a little time.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #25
GB SISSON

I just bought two .060 nos ford pistons from Bob Selzam in NJ for 19 bucks apiece. Of course I had to melt the cosmoline and paper off them. Maybe not the same weight as yours but maybe someone has one they'd weigh for you. I have a friend here on the island who drove a '51 dodge six in high school. When he threw a rod, he and his dad pulled the head, dropped the pan and pulled the whole works out of #3. For the last 2 years of school he drove an inline 5. Just sayin....A half ounce outa balance isn't the end of the world. (and Frank couldn't have had much oil pressure after that either)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #26
bobH

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. It's a 4 ring out of '51 Merc. Brand was Silv-O-Lite. Cause was a foreign object (#8 nut) found it's way into the cylinder during some work last winter . No valve or head damage. Thinking it found it's way into spark plug hole (what are the odds?). Looks like major tear down. Any recommended 3 ring pistons? Engine is .06 over now with Schneider 260-F cam and 2x2 carbs. Nut and piston pieces were retrieved.
See flattened nut dug out of piston.
You say that the nut and piston pieces were retrieved. All of them? Was there any other loose shrapnel? Was the engine run for any time under this condition, or was it immediately shut off? Pete, Kube, and others have offered good advice, and that is the proper way to go, but, it doesn't hurt to look. Just saying. Maybe pull some bearings, both rods and mains, and see if anything ran through, like small metal particles. Only a thought, and I'm still with the others that advocate a teardown.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #27
Bluebell

When I was a kid, my dad lost the carb. needle valve in the grass under the car. Guess what the result was when he located another, put it in, and started the truck?
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #28
Ardun

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. It's a 4 ring out of '51 Merc. Brand was Silv-O-Lite. Cause was a foreign object (#8 nut) found it's way into the cylinder during some work last winter . No valve or head damage. Thinking it found it's way into spark plug hole (what are the odds?). Looks like major tear down. Any recommended 3 ring pistons? Engine is .06 over now with Schneider 260-F cam and 2x2 carbs. Nut and piston pieces were retrieved.
See flattened nut dug out of piston.
On another subject, how do you like the F260 cam?
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #29
FrankWest

Quote:
Thank You Pete!
WELL THEN...GO FOR IT. Repair the piston head. Look for a shop that specializes in that type of repair, and has a track record of success. You want to make sure that it is done properly. In fact, when you find such a shop they will tell you if your particular piston can reliably be fixed.

Just remember just because you are adding metal to metal it in no way implies that the part will structurally act as it was originally created. Metal is very complicated there are grain structure, work hardening factors, temper, it can be brittle or soft and the junction between the original metal and the PATCH can create large stresses that can cause a malfunction under pressure and temperatures. So any repair must be done with all these in mind.
If the repair is done without the considerations mentioned above, as a quick fix it may work, or it may work only for a limited time.

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-27-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #30
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
"--Quote (Originally by FrankWest)---
Even if you could weld/repair..fill the holes..How do you know they will stand up under the heat, pressure, explosions of the internal combustion Engine!"

Frank, don't give welding a bad name. Pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and wrist pins have been welded, remachined and run for years in street applications.

One of the fastest unlimited hydroplanes in vintage history ran pistons with welded domes in one of it's first races. That was an Allison aircraft engine with 80 lb of boost pressure.
There is still a stock model A engine out there running that has a crankshaft that was broken in 2 pieces at the #4 rod lournal.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...-possible.html
Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #31
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Wayne was right. It was just a scratch.
The rest of the comments were from posers.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #32
woodiewagon46

I can't believe there is still a discussion on this subject. You can get the exact piston made by Egge, Arias and Mahle, just put it in a box and send it to them and UPS sends you a new one and you are still considering a repair! I have a degree in Welding Technologies and a Class 1 Welding License from the City of New York and have been TIG welding for almost 50 years and I would never attempt this repair. There are too many factors to consider besides just welding the piston. Like I originally said you will get the "we do it all the time" comments but do you really want to "keep your fingers crossed" every time you start your car? If it was a one of a kind part that I couldn't ever find of course I would weld it, but not a piston you can get new.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #33
FrankWest

Quote:
Huh? Get another engine? For what? Is it a flathead? Huh?
Tony,
WE are only trying to help. After all, You asked the question,
Would anybody Attempt to fix this?

I, like others, are just trying to answer your question the best we can.
we wish you success, not failure.
I recommend that you try to find a replacement. After all you are NOT on Gilligan's Island where you have to make due with what you have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3c565deaf17809825f024212b7f68312.jpg (56.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-27-2015 at 04:05 PM.