Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Ford guy 2

Default I need a new Radiator

Hi i need a new radiator for my 31 ford i have been looking and found Brattons has one with 6 copper fins per inch for $530.00 i just drive the car on the weekends and my top speed is 45 mph i donot know who makes it , i just want to know is this a good radiator to get . Thanks for your help Pete.
Ford guy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: I need a new Radiator

No experience with Bratton's, but many here recommend Berg's. Do a search.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

For the most authentic and best fit I'd buy from Berg's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I don't know how authentic the Bergs 30-31 radiator cores are. But a very good fit and price.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

I bought a Brattons for the 29 tudor I had and it has been perfect, fit well and runs cool. No complaints.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Ronnie Lawson

I too would recommend Burgs radiator (618-231-3507). I have purchased 3 from him and they all fit great.
I purchased a radiator from Brassworks. The upper funnel was 7/8 inch too low. I called Brassworks and they said to send it back and they would make me another. I told them that I would like to know the root cause of why it was too low. The top radiator hose would kink up when I tried to put it on.
My car is a 1929 Town Sedan. In October 1929 Ford changed the mounting surface for the radiator pads. They lowered the pads 3/8 of an inch and added 3/8 of an inch shim on each side until the end of 1929 production. I put 3/8 shim under the mounting pad and the radiator was still 1/2 inch too low. A Friend of mine had an original 1929 Ford radiator and he brought it over and it fit like a glove. We laid both radiators down side by side and we found that the angle of the funnel was not the same on the two. We also noted that the boss that the funnel was supposed to set in side was not correct on the Brassworks radiator it was 1/2" too low. I sent pictures back to Brassworks and Mr. Lee said send radiator back and he will build a new one. I shipped it back and it cost $75 shipping. Two weeks latter Brass works called and wanted to charge shipping for the new radiator. I told them no that I had paid for shipping two times and that I was not going to pay for shipping the third time. I asked for my $75 back and was told they would not pay return shipping. Brassworks said that they would send me a refund if I was not happy but not return shipping. They did send me my refund back but not the $75 return shipping. If the second radiator was also bad I would have to pay shipping back to them again. How many times do I should I have to pay for a defective radiator that was the manufactures fault? See pictures on the attachment to the right. One half of an inch too low.pdf
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Elcastor

From the sticky at the top of the page. 2. www.bergsradiator.com Berg's Radiators (Illinois)

Ronnie Lawson, that was great documentation. If I were Brassworks, I would have been tripping all over myself to make it right for you.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Ford guy 2

Thankyou for your help i will call Bergs today, Pete
Ford guy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcastor View Post
From the sticky at the top of the page. 2. www.bergsradiator.com Berg's Radiators (Illinois)

Ronnie Lawson, that was great documentation. If I were Brassworks, I would have been tripping all over myself to make it right for you.
My Father told me that a measure of a business is not how it handles things when all is well but rather how it handles things when it goes wrong.

To expect a customer to pay shipping to return a defective part is just bad business.

I never heard of Bergs a couple of years ago but look at all the good reviews they are getting (and the business). goes to show that good products, fair prices, and great customer will win every time!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Paul from Maine

Sorry to hear about your experience with Brassworks. Mine was the opposite. Last summer I ordered a Brassworks radiator from Tams on a Monday Morning. Tuesday afternoon the radiator arrived and it fit my '29 Town Sedan perfectly. It cools too well! I had to put a thermostat in the upper hose to get the temp above 135 degrees! I'm not discounting your story. Just telling mine. I have put a couple of thousand miles on the radiator and am still very pleased with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
I too would recommend Burgs radiator (618-231-3507). I have purchased 3 from him and they all fit great.
I purchased a radiator from Brassworks. The upper funnel was 7/8 inch too low. I called Brassworks and they said to send it back and they would make me another. I told them that I would like to know the root cause of why it was too low. The top radiator hose would kink up when I tried to put it on.
My car is a 1929 Town Sedan. In October 1929 Ford changed the mounting surface for the radiator pads. They lowered the pads 3/8 of an inch and added 3/8 of an inch shim on each side until the end of 1929 production. I put 3/8 shim under the mounting pad and the radiator was still 1/2 inch too low. A Friend of mine had an original 1929 Ford radiator and he brought it over and it fit like a glove. We laid both radiators down side by side and we found that the angle of the funnel was not the same on the two. We also noted that the boss that the funnel was supposed to set in side was not correct on the Brassworks radiator it was 1/2" too low. I sent pictures back to Brassworks and Mr. Lee said send radiator back and he will build a new one. I shipped it back and it cost $75 shipping. Two weeks latter Brass works called and wanted to charge shipping for the new radiator. I told them no that I had paid for shipping two times and that I was not going to pay for shipping the third time. I asked for my $75 back and was told they would not pay return shipping. Brassworks said that they would send me a refund if I was not happy but not return shipping. They did send me my refund back but not the $75 return shipping. If the second radiator was also bad I would have to pay shipping back to them again. How many times do I should I have to pay for a defective radiator that was the manufactures fault? See pictures on the attachment to the right. Attachment 51686
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote