Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
drolston

Default Which Shaft is Broken

While cruising peacefully at 40 mph on a level stretch of road, Henry (my '41 coupe) failed to respond to a slight throttle movement. Engine would rev and clutch felt normal, but no go. Fortunately I was on a road with wide shoulders. No go in any gear, and the speedometer registered, so something broke back past the speedo gear.

Been there before, but it was always when doing some hot rod thing. This happened while just cruising. There was no clank or bang. I could hear a little rattle noise from the rear end. After getting home on a roll-back I popped the hubcaps and idled the engine in low gear. The shafts are locked tight to the hubs, so it is not a sheared key. Listened to both hubs with a bar to my ear and the rattle sound seems the same on both sides. Methinks drive shaft.

How do I tell for sure whether it is the drive shaft or an axle. Maybe pull the fill plug and see if the ring gear is turning with the engine in gear at idle?

Also, the rear end is original '41; will the axle be 16 or 18 tooth, and where might I find one? Same question for drive shaft. Can either be safely repaired by welding?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote