Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2023, 03:24 PM   #21
slowforty

Default Re: Insurance recommendations

The picture in the avatar was the last claim almost 8000 in damage with no problems. Lady in a Cadillac on a cell phone. Did quite a bit of damage to the Cadillac.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #22
AnthonyG

Haggery X 2 , I had Condon & Skelly also for 10 plus yrs. I wanted to take my vehicles to another house I have w no garage & keep there for a couple weeks @ a time but it does have off street parking for several cars. C&S said no, gotta have a garage, called Hagerty & they said no prob & as Tubman said I got a rate significantly lower from them!
Old 02-23-2023, 06:38 PM   #23
Newc

My personal problem with Haggerty is their adjuster refused to let me repair the '33 cpe-insisted a TOTAL only and a title seizure! I refused the settlement. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:04 PM   #24
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
My personal problem with Haggerty is their adjuster refused to let me repair the '33 cpe-insisted a TOTAL only and a title seizure! I refused the settlement. Newc
"Newc", this is of interest to me, as I am a Hagerty customer. How did this finally turn out? What did you finally end up with? You had to get something, didn't you.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:25 PM   #25
B-O-B

Had Hagerty & when they added roadside service, which I did not request, they went bye bye & as others have done I went with Grundy. Had 2 claims with fast payout to me. When I called to make the claim, they said an adjuster would call which one did the next day. We agreed on the repair amount & when they asked where we send the check I said right here to me, no problem I had a check within a few days.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 12:52 AM   #26
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B View Post
Had Hagerty & when they added roadside service, which I did not request, they went bye bye & as others have done I went with Grundy. Had 2 claims with fast payout to me. When I called to make the claim, they said an adjuster would call which one did the next day. We agreed on the repair amount & when they asked where we send the check I said right here to me, no problem I had a check within a few days.
Hmmmmm , the plot thickens.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 11:13 PM   #27
1940 Convert

Mine have been insured with State Farm for a long time. The only claim I had was on the 1940 Mercury. The trailer it was in was put in a ditch in an accident. The paid $17K to fix it. I'm still with them for all my cars.
1940 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:39 PM   #28
AnthonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
What was the agreed value u signed up for?
Old 02-25-2023, 06:39 PM   #29
56FordC750COE

Location: In the seat of a Ford, next to my wife in west Tennessee

I agree with sugarmaker. I insured with Hagarty because I did not think I had any real choice when it came to my c-750 COE car hauler. They would insure me but would not insure it to tow. Except for the occasional load they also would not let me put anything on it except my own collector/classic cars. I had an opportunity to pick up 2 Ford cars about 90 miles from my house. The COE and a trailer was the obvious way to go. I went with Shelter Insurance Company after a suggestion from a fellow hot rodder. I cancelled my policy for three vehicles with Hagerty. I got a slightly better policy, agreeing also to insure my daily driver. No restrictions on any (except the obvious - racing). They only operate in 15 states but, my COE now does COE things and still wins at car shows!
56FordC750COE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:49 AM   #30
tomkc1

Discussions about insurance companies get my blood boiling! I don't like insurance companies and I think in trying to minimize their risk they take advantage of us. That being said, I had Hagerty for over 15 years, had what I thought were reasonable premiums and I thought their rules for driving my car were fair. Then 2 years ago (2021) my premium went up about 40% in one year. I had never had a claim and drive my car on average about 100 miles a year. I called to complain but to no avail so I switched to Grundy. My new premium with Grundy was less than what I paid with Hagerty in 2020. This is my second year with Grundy and my premium went up about 10%. I hope it levels off in the coming years.
Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:22 AM   #31
TJ

Unfortunately inflation and the cost of materials and labor at body shops causes premiums to go up. I still think the specialty insurance companies are money savers when compared to using the major companies like State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, etc. You really find out how good a company is when you have to file a claim.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:10 PM   #32
the.secret.victoria

This thread is a couple of weeks old now, but I can state that attempting to set up a new multi-vehicle policy with Grundy has been a pain in the ***. Between their barely functional website and continued asking for additional information when the documentation provided has already met the initial requirements really makes me question how they'd respond during/after a claim.
* Sedan or Victoria roof tack strip (OEM or aftermarket)
* Straight commercial (pickup) bumper '33/'34 or '35 (46-17757 or 68-17757)
the.secret.victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #33
1940 Convert

I've had no experience with Grundy claims. State Farm has been pretty good for me but I've heard some pretty bad stories from some. Growing up with three insurance agents in the family I knew to document everything and what to specify in writing the policy originally. That's probably where a lot of the problems people have come from. Insurance companies won't want to pay anymore than they are forced to so make sure you cover your bases from the start. Keep current pictures and be able to produce receipts when asked.
1940 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:21 PM   #34
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940 Convert View Post
I've had no experience with Grundy claims. State Farm has been pretty good for me but I've heard some pretty bad stories from some. Growing up with three insurance agents in the family I knew to document everything and what to specify in writing the policy originally. That's probably where a lot of the problems people have come from. Insurance companies won't want to pay anymore than they are forced to so make sure you cover your bases from the start. Keep current pictures and be able to produce receipts when asked.
After we hit a deer with our '41 Ford, Hagerty paid out 10K. after tearing the front down I had a list of items/damage the adjuster missed. Hagerty immediately sent 2K more to cover the damage. after we finished the rebuild I called hagerty and asked them if I needed to send any pics of the completed rebuild. Was told none was needed and never asked for any receipts for any parts.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 10:48 AM   #35
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.secret.victoria View Post
This thread is a couple of weeks old now, but I can state that attempting to set up a new multi-vehicle policy with Grundy has been a pain in the ***. Between their barely functional website and continued asking for additional information when the documentation provided has already met the initial requirements really makes me question how they'd respond during/after a claim.
I have never used their website and I have always talked with a real person. I get their name and deal directly via e-mail with them when insuring a new car.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote