Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
jeep44

Default is this a Model A windshield?

I have this windshield I picked up at a swap meet, that I was planning to use on my Huckster. It's not quite like the ones on my '30 Fordor or '31 PU. It's marked "Motor Products", and it's a flat frame, with a channel for a seal around 3 sides. Is it aftermarket "A", or is it for a later Ford?

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
silversink

Default Re: is this a Model A windshield?

looks like one----what are the measurements
Old 08-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
wrndln

I am pretty sure it ISN'T a model A windshield frame. It looks close, but I don't think it is for a model A. The hinge doesn't look right or the top channel part of the hinge. In addition, the end cuts on the wind deflector is nothing I have seen on a model A. However, the frame might be a unique windshield for a Briggs, Murray or other body maker beside Ford. This is just my opinion, but I have owned a number of 28 through 31 windshield frames. Note the ends on Marco's picture frame id below.
Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windshield id picture_1.jpg (53.7 KB, 54 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
jw hash

it is not Model A
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Terry, NJ

Clopse! But no cigar! It lacks the little slot in the hinge and frame for the wiper motor. Plus the screws in the top are on the inside, mod A s are on the outside. That means it belongs to a rarer car and should be more valuable.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
d.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Terry,
no offence and just curious here, but based on what is this rarer and more valuable?
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
jeep44

The funny thing is, it seems to fit very well on my '30-'31 cowl of my Huckster project. One of the small brackets on the side was broken, and I was looking for another, which made me discover that this likely wasn't a standard Model A frame. I took it apart today, so I could get the intact windshield glass out. I'll make another test fit without the glass, as it's much easier to handle, and I'll post another pic.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Dale G.

It looks to be for a 60A Briggs Fordor. I have one just like it. It was used mid to late 28 and does not have a wind deflector on the inside bottom. The reason is the dash rail attached to a solid wood rail which does not allow air to flow through to your feet. Ford at this point put a cowl vent on the drivers side to allow air in the cabin. Funny thing is they didn't think about the hot air from the engine flowing through the hood louvers right into the vent. Hence that windshield frame and the cowl vent only lasted a few months. Also if one was to research a little more, the holes for an electric wiper motor will match the correct wiper for this frame. Look at Marco's pictures at the windshield wiper motor to frame holes.
Dale G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Very confusing to the poster and the rest of us ! One post states it is not Model A, another post states it is Model A! Which is he to believe ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #10
SteveB31

It is 60A/60B Briggs leather back 4 door.

Steve @ Bert's
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
SteveB31

And 90% of the time one or both of the windshield slide brackets are broken. that is the weak spot on these frames. We will be making those brackets soon, as I have dozens of that frame here with those little brackets broken off. They are held on with two 8/32 sleeve nuts and 8/32 oval headed machine screws.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #12
jeep44

Well! Thank you for identifying it. That side bracket is very thin, with a sharp bend in it, so I guess that's why they broke so easily. I had to drill out all those sleeve nuts today to get the frame apart-are they available? I painted the frame with POR15-surprisingly, the channels where the glass fits were not rusted out, so this windshield must not have spent a lot of time exposed to rain.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

No offense taken! I was thinking it was not a model A, but something very similar to a mod. A. Looking again, I still don't see the slot for the wiper motor shaft in the hinge and I don't recall ever seeing screws on the inside of the frame. Who knows? I just got through painting and sending my windshield out for glass. And I have another windshield and another hinge, all are slotted. But when I had just gotten into Mod A s, a friend had a Chev. wind shield which I thought was model A. Also, I knew of a 28 or 29 Nash 4 dr that at first couple of glances, looked very Mod A ish. I think it's obvious that if it were off one of these models, it would be rarer and therefore, probably more valuable.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
Terry,
no offence and just curious here, but based on what is this rarer and more valuable?
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
jw hash

thanks Steve I missed that one.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote