Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default model a lube schedule Q...

I just finished redoing/installing my '30 roadster rear end (with QC). When it was taken apart, seems that I pumped tooo much grease into the outer bearings....and it ended up a mess in the brakes ! Do NOT want a repeat of that. Note: I greased by hand when installed.
My question regards how often do you guys grease the outer rear axle bearings...and how much each time(one pump/more etc)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: model a lube schedule Q...

When I put mine together I pumped it with the drum off until I saw the grease just enter the area and greased the bearing by hand, then I made assembly. I think two pumps with the Ford supplied grease gun every 10,000 miles would do it. I don't have the lube chart but just think what the kid at the fast lube shop or even a regular shop could do with a pressure gun and 55 gal drum of grease!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
western77

The lub chart calls for every 500 miles. I just remove a rear hub last week and the wheel bearing seal must have let loose for there was just about a tube of grease in the brake drum. If you do grease the wheel bearing every 500 miles where does the extra grease go? There is a seal on both sides with no way out. JB
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by western77 View Post
The lub chart calls for every 500 miles. I just remove a rear hub last week and the wheel bearing seal must have let loose for there was just about a tube of grease in the brake drum. If you do grease the wheel bearing every 500 miles where does the extra grease go? There is a seal on both sides with no way out. JB
JB,
Well, seems thee 'answer' to your query, and mine, is that that extra grease goes THRU the seal...pushing it out and into the brakes ! I'm thinking that greasing every 500 miles is way too much, at any rate. Heck I've only got 1200 miles on odometer and greased it enough to have greased the brakes too

BTW... I called some guy I know who knows model As. He said 'once a year, couple squirts', which sounds pretty good to me. Else , like you said, where does 'it' go.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Ford used the same basic hub and bearing structure right through 1948 (there was a change in bearing diameter around '36), and in later years dropped the grease fittings entirely...probably because of increasingly easy and powerful lube systems in filling stations blowing whole containers of grease into the brakes.
The lube schedule became something like "remove hub and repack", schedule was once per year just like front hubs. I think with improved grease and seals, much cleaner roads, and generally gentle and low mileage use even less than that would be fine.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
columbiA

I pack the brgs well & then pull the hubs every 10,000 miles & repack Also a good time to check brakes too.As stated,later V8 models did away with the fittings.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbiA View Post
I pack the brgs well & then pull the hubs every 10,000 miles & repack Also a good time to check brakes too.As stated,later V8 models did away with the fittings.
Bruce...the voice of reason! Thanks for that info.
columbia and others...10K sounds like a nice round number. Anyway, I'll never have to do it again, as my driving habits/age will not exceed that mileage with this car.