Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
CJStefan

Default Lowering the front of my '49 coupe

Trying to figure out the best option. If you could, please read the entire post before replying. That way there's not a bunch of suggestions to something I've already done.

So I've had the car for 2 years and I've yet to have it on the road. Before this I daily drove a '54 Chevy for one year and a '51 Belair for six years. On the '54 I made 1" spacers for the front a-arms (they were 2 piece like a shoebox a-arm) and rear 3" drop blocks. On the '51 I ended up getting the lower a-arms with the spacers and uprights/steering arms from the guy I sold the '54 to. I also ran an s10 rear with 1.5" tall spring perches, 2" dropped leaves and the 3" blocks from my old '54. The car rode/steered perfectly.
Now that I have that out of the way, I'm trying to figure out the best plan for this shoebox to make it a reliable daily driver. So far since I've had it I put in 4" dropped leaves, 2" home made solid aluminum blocks and 1" tall spring perches on a 2wd s10 rear (yes the u-joint is about a half inch from the rear crossmember but that'll be fixed).
For the front I have Aerostar coils with the Jamco camber correction plates (and of course now Shoebox Central has a newer, better version).

The first thing I did was I bought Fatman uprights. They didn't fit worth a shit, I had to hammer a screw driver into the slots on the top and bottom to be able to get the bushings into the uprights. Once I pulled the screwdriver out they were so tight that there was no adjusting the alignment cam. On top of that I had to drill the bolt holes out on the top and bottom to fit the bolts back in because they were forced open by the bushings so the holes didn't line up anymore. If that wasn't enough, the Kingpin bushings were "reamed" but they were misaligned (not even sure how that's possible). The pin slid through one but wouldn't go through the other without hammering it in with a dead blow. $800 not well spent. Maybe I got a Friday set..?

After I pulled those off I flipped the factory uprights with new kingpins. I drilled the lower a-arm mounting holes towards the outside exactly 1" and got the camber dead on. The problem is, I don't have (or have access to) a torch to heat and bend the steering arms. I keep reading about bump steer, but not knowing how bad it actually is I don't want to put the car on the road and find out the hard way. Before I bought the Fatman uprights I bought their dropped steering arms to use with flipped factory uprights and they wouldn't fit as I was keeping the spindle itself in the factory orientation. I would've had to grind the wraparound part of the steering arm to about an eighth of an inch, not the safest idea in the world. I also looked into the Jamco steering kit, since the longer tie rods will decrease the angle but it's not made anymore.
EDIT: has anyone ever straightened the inner tie rods or flipped them side to side as opposed to lowering the steering arms? It would keep the steering effort exactly the same as stock since the arms will be the same effective length. I'm not under the car right now so I don't even know if there's clearance to be able to do that or if they need the bend for frame clearance. Im also not sure if they're forged or what and can be bent without cracking..? I need to replace mine anyway so it would be the perfect time to have it done. I'm sure a machine shop could bend them without any heat whatsoever. Does anybody have a stock height car that will measure the distance from the tie rod assembly to the frame and post that info?

That leads me to today. I'm in the process of flipping the factory uprights back over, pulling the lower plates on the a-arm and making 1" spacers. My thinking is that it's exactly like cutting 1 coil off the springs without affecting the ride, at least that's how it worked on the '54 Chevy.

So finally my question is, how will steering be affected doing it this way (with Aerostar coils, 1" spacers on the a-arm and the uprights in the original orientation with the stock steering arms just for a recap)?

Man that was a process to type all that ��

Last edited by CJStefan; 11-02-2023 at 08:59 AM.
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
Shoebox

Default Re: Lowering the front of my '49 coupe

CJ, I DON'T have the answer to your question, but I do share your pain with the Fatman crap. 10 years ago I got the dropped spindle kit from them and it installed wonderfully and gave me the stance I wanted. Fast forward to 2022 and I got the same kit. First red flag was neither kingpin would go through both bushings, you could start with either bushing top or bottom and the kingpin would slide through, but not the other. Not because the bushing was tight, but because of misalignment. I called Fatman and was told they weren't designed for kingpins to slide in, they were to be pounded in and they would "cold form" after the spindle was moved back and forth some! Unbelievable.

Well, I have the aerostar coils and Shoebox Centrals new camber kit and it's low enough for me and aligns and drives well. Good luck with your '49.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar

Last edited by Shoebox; 11-01-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
CJ, I DON'T have the answer to your question, but I do share your pain with the Jamco crap. 10 years ago I got the dropped spindle kit from them and it installed wonderfully and gave me the stance I wanted. Fast forward to 2022 and I got the same kit. First red flag was neither kingpin would go through both bushings, you could start with either bushing top or bottom and the kingpin would slide through, but not the other. Not because the bushing was tight, but because of misalignment. I called Jamco and was told they weren't designed for kingpins to slide in, they were to be pounded in and they would "cold form" after the spindle was moved back and forth some! Unbelievable.

Well, I have the aerostar coils and Shoebox Centrals new camber kit and it's low enough for me and aligns and drives well. Good luck with your '49.
It was Fatmans that I had that trouble with but I'm thinking Jamco sold the Fatman parts through their website. That's how most of the places are. Have a pic of your car with just the springs? I thought about going that route I just don't know if it'll be low enough
Old 11-01-2023, 03:42 PM   #4
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStefan View Post
It was Fatmans that I had that trouble with but I'm thinking Jamco sold the Fatman parts through their website. That's how most of the places are. Have a pic of your car with just the springs? I thought about going that route I just don't know if it'll be low enough

I corrected my post as it was Fatman components. The attached pic is my '51 with 6 cyl. Currently getting a 276 cube flathead with 3 spd. w/ overdrive but will probably sit about the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 In Driveway.jpg (57.8 KB, 283 views)

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 11-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
CJStefan

Quote:
I corrected my post as it was Fatman components. The attached pic is my '51 with 6 cyl. Currently getting a 276 cube flathead with 3 spd. w/ overdrive but will probably sit about the same.
I like that color man. That's the color I wanted to paint my '51 Chevy.
Old 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM   #6
Shoebox

Quote:
I like that color man. That's the color I wanted to paint my '51 Chevy.

Yes, I've had two of these, both the same color. To me it kinda screams the 50's.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 11-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #8
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Yep I agree.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:24 PM   #9
Pat/Ohio

Gentlemen, I purchased my '51 Victoria a year ago and still in the process of discovering what makes it LOW! I know it has 3" dropped spindles in the front and 3" lowering blocks in the rear. It also has power steering which was a trick (I was told). Still has the 3 spd. on the column with overdrive. Sits just the way I like it! The car was built by a street rod shop north of Dayton, OH. I have been a '32 guy most of my adult life (75 now), but I like the shoeboxes too!

Stay Safe,
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Victoria.jpg (114.1 KB, 238 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Gentlemen, I purchased my '51 Victoria a year ago and still in the process of discovering what makes it LOW! I know it has 3" dropped spindles in the front and 3" lowering blocks in the rear. It also has power steering which was a trick (I was told). Still has the 3 spd. on the column with overdrive. Sits just the way I like it! The car was built by a street rod shop north of Dayton, OH. I have been a '32 guy most of my adult life (75 now), but I like the shoeboxes too!

Stay Safe,
Pat

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:32 PM   #11
Tony, NY

I did the 1" A arm spacer on a '51 Merc a long time ago. Also had lowering blocks. Worked well for me. Had the car for 10 yrs and no problems.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:48 PM   #12
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
I did the 1" A arm spacer on a '51 Merc a long time ago. Also had lowering blocks. Worked well for me. Had the car for 10 yrs and no problems.
Did you run drop springs too? I'm not too familiar with Merc steering setup. Is it pretty much the same as Fords?
Old 11-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #13
kiwi nz

Hi CJStefan, after reading your post I have done the "research" and ordered the Moog cc850 springs, along with matching spring pads and shock absorbers, from Amazon. Cost was $183.17.

I have also ordered the Shoebox camber adjustment kit.

This is for my 1950 Ford.

A lot of our roads, in NZ, are rough and winding, I think that the progressive feature will be a saviour from bottoming out with a car that is too low.
I cant imagine going as low as you want to go without only traveling on smooth concrete roads.
I personally would imagine Moog springs and the 1 inch spacers would be at the limit of good drive-ability, anything more is more about image only.

I will post photos when car is re-sprung, the car is still in USA awaiting shipping.

I look forward to photos when you make your decision.

Geoff
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 06:24 AM   #14
Tony, NY

Quote:
Did you run drop springs too? I'm not too familiar with Merc steering setup. Is it pretty much the same as Fords?
No drop springs. Don't have a comparison of Ford and Mercury. Maybe someone will chime in.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #15
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post

Stay Safe,
Pat

GREAT looking car Pat!

I know you didn't build the car, but it would be interesting to know the source of the 3" dropped spindles you mention. Thanks.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Old 11-02-2023, 08:26 AM   #16
CJStefan

Quote:
GREAT looking car Pat!

I know you didn't build the car, but it would be interesting to know the source of the 3" dropped spindles you mention. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure Fatmans the only one that makes them so they're most likely 2 and a 1/2 drop
Old 11-02-2023, 08:59 AM   #17
wga

Rebuilding and modifying the shoebox front end is a ton of work. I did a stock rebuild, and used new springs from Eaton Detroit spring. They did not fit, sat crooked in the
frame pocket. Wish i had used the Aerostar springs.
In the end, looking back at all the work, although the parts cost is high, would have used a IFS with rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, etc.
Shoebox Central and JAMCO have new spindles. I'd check with Chris at SC for info on
the spindles. That camber kit he makes is great. Wish I had used it on a stock suspension as it adds needed camber to these suspensions.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:06 AM   #18
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Rebuilding and modifying the shoebox front end is a ton of work. I did a stock rebuild, and used new springs from Eaton Detroit spring. They did not fit, sat crooked in the
frame pocket. Wish i had used the Aerostar springs.
In the end, looking back at all the work, although the parts cost is high, would have used a IFS with rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, etc.
Shoebox Central and JAMCO have new spindles. I'd check with Chris at SC for info on
the spindles. That camber kit he makes is great. Wish I had used it on a stock suspension as it adds needed camber to these suspensions.
I already tried the dropped uprights and they fit terribly
Old 11-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #19
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
GREAT looking car Pat!

I'll endeavor to find out more about the spindles. It has Coker wheels and radial tires. The tires are 1 size larger than OEM. I would have probably purchased the smaller OEM tire.

Pat
Old 11-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #20
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Fatmans the only one that makes them so they're most likely 2 and a 1/2 drop
You may be right about the source and size of the spindles. It also has the larger sway bar kit installed front and rear. Corners well.

Pat