Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
TinCup

Default 31 coupe Package Tray Help

I am currently in the process of replacing the interior in my coupe. Last year when I repaired the roll down window I noticed that the package tray just doesn't fit very well. The tabs on the sides that mount to the quarter window wood are too short. I picked up an original package tray at Pate this spring that has the longer tabs but does not have the pre-drilled holes for the roll down window tray that covers the window regulator and catches any water.

At this point I can either weld longer tabs on the tray I have or drill holes in the new tray I just bought. What I would like to know is which is correct? Or are either of them correct for the car?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01041-20120525-1531.jpg (88.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG01040-20120525-1530.jpg (49.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG01039-20120525-1530.jpg (41.1 KB, 95 views)
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
TinCup

Default Re: 31 coupe Package Tray Help

Vince the car is a late 31 indented firewall. I cannot tell if it is an original or aftermarket conversion. I did find the clamp that holds the drain tube in place when I rebuilt the unit and replaced the wood. With the short tabs it does not line up with the quarter window wood. I just assumed that it was an aftermarket part that didn't fit. The tray I picked up at Pate is in great shape and has the longer tabs on the ends but does not have the pre drilled holes.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Mitch

The depth of the tray is like 5" on the roll down and larger on the standard. Also the holes for the bolts are lower (below the tray surface) for the roll down. So just redrilling doesn't work. I have an original and one that was converted with a shim, but the correct original is what you need.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Ed in Maine

You might also consider making it a bit narrower so that you have more room to swing your feet into the car. I don't know what Henry was thinking, he must have had size 6 shoes!
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
TinCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
The depth of the tray is like 5" on the roll down and larger on the standard. Also the holes for the bolts are lower (below the tray surface) for the roll down. So just redrilling doesn't work. I have an original and one that was converted with a shim, but the correct original is what you need.
So it sounds like I got the right tray so why dont the tabs on the ends line up to attach to the wood?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

I'm guessing you haven't thoroughly compared the "new" package tray with the original. These are pics of Jim Boehmke's late '31 Standard with fixed window but "all the makin's" for a roll down and the wood is all original so nothing has been shifted out of position.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #7
TinCup

I was going to pull it out this weekend but now I see that I actually installed it correctly. When I replaced the wood last summer the tray was not connected to the wood. As always the picture tells the story. The bonus is I now see how to attach the trunk area panels.
Thanks Marco