Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
CatMan1

Default My New 'A' And A Few Questions

This is my '28 Sport Coupe. I was going to post a picture of it, but the computer won't let me. Perhaps another day.I bought it and drove it the 65 miles home. It's leaking oil from the rear main, there's oil in #1 cylinder, it runs rough and smokes. Great car, though. It wasn't doing some of that till I got home. The oil leak was there and the original owner says he just ran it 2 quarts low all the time and it stopped leaking. I guess it would. The mechanic from the dealership drove it the 30+ miles to their shop and was proud to say he had it going at 55MPH!

So, I have a few problems to chase out. Hopefully not a full engine rebuild. I was just about to sell it, but have changed my mind. The last few months have been rough.

I'm wondering if I might start with a tune-up, full grease and fluid change and see what happens? Thoughts? The engine supposedly has less than 1,000 miles on it.
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: My New 'A' And A Few Questions

As you say, it could be a number of things wrong in the engine and it may not need a full overhaul. Have the mechanic take it apart and inspect things. If it is only has 1,000 miles on the engine then it could be put together wrong or something not done correctly. Perhaps the rear oil return pipe is not right or it needs a new valve guide or who knows. Go and look at the engine when it is apart. Have the mechanic explain what he sees.

I have good mechanical skills so I always take the engine apart in a car that is new to me to inspect it, especially if it is suspect.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 06-09-2021 at 02:45 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
As you say, it could be a number of things wrong in the engine and it may not need a full overhaul. Have the mechanic take it apart and inspect things. If it is only has 1,000 miles on the engine then it could be put together wrong or something not done correctly. Perhaps the rear oil return pipe is not right or it needs a new valve guide or who knows. Go and look at the engine when it is apart. Have the mechanic explain what he sees.

I have good mechanical skills so I always take the engine apart in a car that is new to me to inspect it, especially if it is suspect.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone in my area that can, or will work on something this old, so......I'm about to learn........
Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #4
Cape Codder

Sounds to me as the car should go back to the engine rebuilder and let him deal with it. I'm also thinking that it has been soooommmmeeee time since it was rebuilt and the rebuilder is unknown.

If you have any mechanical ability I would drop the oil pan and check to see if the oil return pipe is installed (pointing toward the front of the engine) on the rear main cap as ukaminar suggested.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...a few thoughts to add to those above...Look on the web sites for the two national clubs...The Model A Restorers Club of America...and...The Model A Ford Club of America...See if they have a local club near you...If so, make contact, join and ask for help from their 'Repair Guy'. Do drop the pan...if the engine is babbit, it might need to have a shim removed from the rear main...or other mains and rods...often necessary after a 1000 miles or so as all the serfaces work in together...oil in the 1st cylindar could be a bad ring...you do need to find someone who is familiar with Model A Engines...driving it 55 miles an hour...that fellow is/was a 'C' Student! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
old31

cat, you certainly can do a tune-up, grease, etc but that is going to do nothing to help with the problem. Focus on the problem. If it really needs and I doubt it does need an engine overhaul then why spend the money now on a tuneup.

I would at this time do a compression test. This will be a good start to tell you what's up. Do you have a tester? If not, pick one up they are cheap.

How long ago was the engine done? If it was not that long ago and you have some documention I would go back to the builder before you spend a dime.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Check your "Private Messages" in the upper right corner of this webpage for a possible contact in your area.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
CatMan1

The engine was rebabitted by a shop here in Iowa then the owner assembled the engine himself somewhere between 2003 & 2005. I'm going to get a compression tester and check it out. The nearest club is either Des Moines or Cedar Rapids. Neither of them have a Repair Guy at this time. Three of the spark plugs are covered in soot and dry. Number 1 has oil on it. I might be able to the bearing adjustments with the shims, but is there a front to back adjustment?
Old 06-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #9
WHN

I would spend $20.00 and do the following first.

Change the oil, use 20W-50 HD, put in four quarts, for the last half a quart put in one blue bottle of STP 15 oz.

Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Drive the car for a while and see how things work out.

Being down two quarts and still driving is the wrong thing to do. Model A’s all mark their spot. A problem would be a puddle rather than a few drops.

I would not assume your engine is bad.

ENJOY.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #10
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Check your "Private Messages" in the upper right corner of this webpage for a possible contact in your area.
Marshall

Just checked it. It won't let me respond. I did actually meet him the other day. He came by to see my car. Maybe I can hire him?
Old 06-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
john in illinois

The forum requires a certain amount of post before you can use several forum sevices. 10 I think. Coment on a some other threads to up your posts.

John
Old 06-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I would spend $20.00 and do the following first.

Change the oil, use 20W-50 HD, put in four quarts, for the last half a quart put in one blue bottle of STP 15 oz.

Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas. Drive the car for a while and see how things work out.

Being down two quarts and still driving is the wrong thing to do. Model A’s all mark their spot. A problem would be a puddle rather than a few drops.

I would not assume your engine is bad.

ENJOY.

The puddle I have is 2' x2'! I did add some MMO to the oil and gas last night. We'll see if that makes any difference.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #13
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
The puddle I have is 2' x2'! I did add some MMO to the oil and gas last night. We'll see if that makes any difference.
MMO added to your oil will increase any dropping you have. It’s a solvent and will thin your motor oil.

Change your oil and I think you will be surprised at the outcome.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
nkaminar

Many years ago, when a Model A was just an old car, a friend cut the side out of a metal gallon oil can and wired it up under the engine to catch the oil that was leaking out of the rear main. He would then pour it back into the engine. Of course, the metal gallon oil cans have disappeared. The cheapest oil came in those cans.

If the previous owner did the work themselves they may have made a mistake or two. Maybe broke a ring or left out the pipe.

Ernie is right that it may be time to tighten up the bearings after they have seated.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #15
Gene F

Or got a glob of RTV in a return. I bet the #1 cylinder needs the piston popped out and a new ring set installed.

A compression test would be good....

I think taking it back the shop that poured the babbit is a no-go, based on what you have told us. The oil tube in the rear main may be in too far. Maybe one of the guys on here can explain that to you.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #16
CWPASADENA

Clean the plug on #1 cylinder and see if it will then fire.

If not, do a compression check. You may have something as simple as a stuck valve which is usually easy to fix.

My opinion, Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Marshall V. Daut

Check your private messages again for suggestions.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #18
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Check your private messages again for suggestions.
Marshall

Thanks. Will do.