Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #1
Bob/AZ

Default Registration process in North Carolina

I have relocated from AZ to NC . My A has been registered with an antique plate in AZ since the early70's. So, I am looking at the NC rules and they seem a little onerous compared to AZ. Looks like I might have to pay a "property tax" and have it inspected at one of the state inspection stations. Does that mean, God forbid, an emission test, seat belts, signals? Any NC A owners have any help for me on this? It won't be a daily driver, just parades and Sunday outings on secondary roads. Thanks for any help . Bob
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Registration process in North Carolina

I’ve found that with a wide variety of opinions ( some very outdated ) it’s better to contact the local DMV and ask the question to the people that know today’s rules.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
Road Trip

Not a standard safety test; they will need to verify the frame number to prove it is what you say it is, regardless of how long you owned it before issuing you a new title and tags (plates) in NC. Typically, a state inspector from the license and theft bureau will come to your house. Property tax, yes when it's registered.

Last edited by Road Trip; 01-25-2021 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Added info.
Road Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Chuck Dempsey

When I finally got my 'A' back on the road in May, DMV said I could keep my 1970's NC Antique Car tag, just so I kept my new, current tag in the car to show when needed. Same might apply to your AZ tag....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #5
ronn

I would keep the AZ tags and have them delivered to a buddy in AZ.

yep.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
MrBruce

Hopefully your engine number matches the number on the title? If it doesn't you will have to do a bond for a certain time and then they will send you a clear title. 29 Years ago when we came down they were not doing any of this. Also, you might want to put "Antique" plates on it and then they can only charge you for $500.00 value. My 30 pickup cost more in property taxes than my 2015 Honda Pilot. I'm going to switch to "Antique" plates. You also can run period plates and keep the legal plate under the seat. I also have the written law printed and wrapped around the plate under the seat incase I ever get a rookie cop and he doesn't know the law.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
Hopefully your engine number matches the number on the title? If it doesn't you will have to do a bond for a certain time and then they will send you a clear title. 29 Years ago when we came down they were not doing any of this. Also, you might want to put "Antique" plates on it and then they can only charge you for $500.00 value. My 30 pickup cost more in property taxes than my 2015 Honda Pilot. I'm going to switch to "Antique" plates. You also can run period plates and keep the legal plate under the seat. I also have the written law printed and wrapped around the plate under the seat incase I ever get a rookie cop and he doesn't know the law.
They are going by the number on the frame. That said, if your car / truck is a 28 on a 31 frame, guess what? You own a 31. I just went through that last year. The bond comes into play if there is no title at all.
Road Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
Oldgearz

I have no knowledge about NC, but everyone should know that DMV's are hopelessly behind and stressed at the current time. I applied for special plates in September and have yet to hear a thing - going on 5 months. They won't even answer my e-mails anymore since I relayed to then that my old-timer plates would make a great Christmas gift. I got a notice in the mail two weeks ago that my drivers license was expiring, but good news.....I could now apply on-line if I was between 17 and 75. Since I am, I went on line and after laboriously filling in all the info, the system rejected me because I was not between the ages of 21 and 69. Obviously the system was not updated to accept the new age group. Of course, this is Idaho and I imagine there must be some state DMV's with better management, but everyone needs to be patient when dealing with licensing or plates these days. (Hope they don't see this message!)
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Jim M

Ronn has the RIGHT idea. If it ain't broke ---- DON'T fix it. I have my car registered and insured in WV with an original 1929 plate. Drive it all around town here in FL with no problems.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
I have relocated from AZ to NC . My A has been registered with an antique plate in AZ since the early70's. So, I am looking at the NC rules and they seem a little onerous compared to AZ. Looks like I might have to pay a "property tax" and have it inspected at one of the state inspection stations. Does that mean, God forbid, an emission test, seat belts, signals? Any NC A owners have any help for me on this? It won't be a daily driver, just parades and Sunday outings on secondary roads. Thanks for any help . Bob
I live in NC and just bought my '30 Coupe in December. It came with an out of state title using the engine number as the VIN. I walked into my local tag office and 15 minutes later walked out with my temporary plate. I registered it as an "antique" (which I recommend) and my Antique plate arrived in the mail a week later. I keep this under the seat in case I am asked for it since I have a 1930 plate on the car. I also have a hardcopy of the NC law which allows this with my registration in the car.

Three weeks later and still waiting for a letter from the state asking me to bring the car in to verify the VIN. Once that is done, I should get a NC title.

As long as the inspector can see a number on the car that matches your existing title, it should be an easy process.

BTW, registering as an antique will save you money each year on the property tax. There is no downside to doing this.

Good luck & welcome to NC
Old 01-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #11
Stingray70

One other thing: I believe if you display a plate other than the one issued by NC, the year of the plate must match the year of the car. So if your car is a '30, it must have a 1930 plate. The plate can be from any state.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Bob/AZ

All good thoughts , thanks. The one thing I hadn't considered was what Ronn and Jim said about keeping the AZ plate. I do hate to give up that real copper plate and just hang it on the garage wall. Might be some legal jeopardy in there somewhere though.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #13
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/AZ View Post
All good thoughts , thanks. The one thing I hadn't considered was what Ronn and Jim said about keeping the AZ plate. I do hate to give up that real copper plate and just hang it on the garage wall. Might be some legal jeopardy in there somewhere though.
Hi Bob,

Don't forget to update your profile so we in NC know whereabouts you are.

I can confirm that the state doesn't care at all what YOM plates you use. Keep those AZ plates on there. At no point during registration do they ask about it. The only requirement is that you keep the true plates in the car and be able to produce them upon request.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
d.

A few years ago I registered a Model A which came from NY, which only issued a registration for a car that old.
The DMV inspector came to my house, took a photo of the engine # which matched the NY registration.
A week later I received an NC title, registration, and license plate.
The tax accessor valued it at $500, so property tax is like $50 a year for renewal.
All in all, a pretty simple and painless transaction.
no inspection was involved.

Last edited by d.; 01-25-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: forgot a detail
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #15
devoreb

Bob
I live in NC near Raleigh. I just purchased a panel delivery from MO.I had to get it inspected by a DMV inspector then I went to DMV (i'm going to tell the short story), they gave me a plate and applied for the title. About 3 weeks later I got a call from the inspector and had to return the car for another inspection. This time he told me "Raleigh" needed him to do a closer inspection. My number on the block was A******* it didn't have the star before and after the numbers. He wanted to scratch the block to see if the stars were present. They weren't there and I had to get 2 appraisals and post a bond for 3 years. This has been a tough ordeal. Lots of time off from work , sleepless nights and a very unhappy wife. Now I did all this around October and I just sent the last of the paper work in December. After all this was done I went to the DMV to re-apply for the title and the woman said this would take 5-6 months to get the bonded 3 year title. Now I wait.
The moral to the story make sure you have the stars before and after the number. The star stamps are $12.00. If I can help further help send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number to talk
devoreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:29 PM   #16
nkaminar

This was 12 years ago so this story may be out of date. I bought a Model T from a man in Utah and registered it in North Carolina. An officer came out to the house to photograph the car and check the vehicle number on the frame. They matched. He was concerned about if the car had been stolen or if it was really an antique (1915) and not a hot rod. I thought it was interesting that he wore a side arm when he came out to the house. He ran a check to see if it had been stolen. Since the numbers matched, it was fairly painless.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
nkaminar

Bob, where in North Carolina have you landed? I am in Wilkesboro. There is a good Model A club in the Raleigh area.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #18
Curt phillips

I would be very careful ! I’ve lived in NC all my life & own
Many cars & vintage motorcycles & have done the bonded
Title thing also , bought a model a in July Nc titled car previous
Owner had the car for 17 + years , went to her local DMV did all
The paper work ,paid all fees registered & paid me taxes! Got the tag & Been
Driving the car for 6 months now , where is my title I ask ? I’ve spent
Hours on the phone to get a different person every time & am told
I need to speak with someone in special titles division, there is no
One there they tell me because of Covid & they are working limited hours
Have left my number everytime & am told they’ll call! Well that ain’t happened
Yet. Thank goodness I didn’t buy it to resale. The title & motor have the same
Numbers haven’t found a number on the frame yet, not worried but this is
Not the way it should work ! My son bought a salvage trailer over a year ago
We repaired it , had all the proper paper work , trooper came out inspected it
On a Monday morning glassy eyed & had to use our restroom in a hurry !
Been pulling it around for over a year with the tag we bought . Have called ten times
Asking about the title ! No one knows anything but it should be on its way. I’ve been
Told that if they lose ya paperwork it’s on you not them , you will bear the cost. There is a DMV in Charlotte that can print a title if you have all the proper paperwork & I’ve done
That once also . Reckon I should have went there instead of waiting in a line in July with a
mask on in 95 degrees . Who would have known
Curt phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #19
Cpuckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. View Post
A few years ago I registered a Model A which came from NY, which only issued a registration for a car that old.
The DMV inspector came to my house, took a photo of the engine # which matched the NY registration.
A week later I received an NC title, registration, and license plate.
The tax accessor valued it at $500, so property tax is like $50 a year for renewal.
All in all, a pretty simple and painless transaction.
no inspection was involved.
This is exactly what I had to do in Charlotte for my 31
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:02 AM   #20
Chris in WNC

Sending PM......