Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
sphooch

Cool 31 rdster carb help again

hi all. once again I'm back to the carb. problem of leaking gas. question is , if I leave the GAV open and the gas valve open will the carb leak gas?? here's why I ask. I worked on setting the float to have it [1 ] parallel to the machined surface and [2 ] get that 5/8 in. level correct, using the site guage tube. so after doing so the car was not running good, popping sounds etc. So I figured let me quit and start fresh today. my plan was to try and readjust the carb.even though it ran fine before the gas leak occurred.i walk into the garage this morning and its leaking gas .I had left the GAV open probably a turn and the shut off valve open.thats why I ask if that would cause a gas leak. do I need to remember to close the GAV when I'm done driving?? please help thanks THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
jax55

Default Re: 31 rdster carb help again

I would not worry about the GAV being left open, but would definitely close the shut off when you put the car away after driving. I close my shut off valve every time I park the car, even if I am just running into a store for a few minutes.
Maybe I am just OCD on the topic, but I just don't want temp fate and have a gas on the ground.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
Marshall57

Default Re: 31 rdster carb help again

A perfect shut off valve or a perfect needle valve in the carburetor would both solve the leaking problem.

I believe that the shut off valve at the tank is the most important and I fixed mine with a kit, it wasn't very hard and worked really well. I don't want to down play the importance of a needle valve making good contact and shutting off the gas to the bowl when it is parked. This is very important for day to day driving as well as safety.
I don't believe the GAV has much to do with any leaking, but it might seep a little, not that I have ever seen this problem.

I actually set the float just off parallel to the machined surface. I adjust it so as the bowl is filling it shuts the gas off just a little bit early. It will have just a little less gas in the bowl before it closes the needle valve completely but this seems to help with the dying problem when you come to a stop at a light.

I have been having fits with carburetors. Seems the problems are air leaks, clogged passages and jets, jets that flow incorrectly, the adjustment of the heights of the jets in the venturi and the setting of the float.
Balance all these out making a perfect carburetor and you will find the problem is the filter or the distributor or you needed a ground strap from the frame to the engine.
It never seems to end, this search for the perfect running engine.
Marshall57 is offline   Reply With Quote