Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 PM   #21
Commander Toasty

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Toasty
Default Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Nobody has put it better - I like the way it smells!

And that is what it comes down to. Each of us decides for themselves - whatever makes you comfortable.

I have never heard or read of an instance where somebody proved that MMO destroyed their engine. I have never heard of an instance where anybody proved it helped their engine (in the long run).

So if it feels good - go for it!

My only intent, due to the thread on grade of gas used, was to raise the understanding that it is not a given that MMO is the recognized additive to use in your gas.

I'd say that goal has been accomplished...
Commander Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #22
30Tudor

I have used it as well. Don't know how it works but I believe it works. I guess it's just a mystery oil!
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #23
dave in australia

If it's not a lube then someone had better tell Beachcraft aeroplane company and Hartzell propellor company because they use it to lube the beta rods on kingair aircraft.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #24
vinepro

In Life if we used everything the way it was produced for we would not find out that it works on stuff the it should not work on. how many times have we taken out a tool from our tool box and used it for a purpose other than intended for and we say that did the trick. The MMO does help the valves even on a brand new engine that was built correct, It is not suppose to work but it does. With the way gas is getting dryer all the time your A need's a upper lube. So what do u use in your car and what would you recommend for a upper lube.
vinepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #25
Clem Clement

My bet is that years ago benzine was in the stuff. That is a no-no no now but really does the job as a cleaning agent. I buy ATF by the gallon and fill my MMO bottle with it and add a gollup of this and a glup of that and my motors think they are drinking the real stuff.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #26
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I like the way it smells
I've often wondered if "oil of wintergreen" was an ingredient in MMO; it has that aroma to it, and OoW does have solvent qualities...

With regard to the dangers of "solvents" (napthenic or otherwise) in the crankcase, I am not too worried about it... those compounds will "boil out" of the oil the first time the engine gets-up to 160-180* on a good run.

Personally I do not add MMO to the crankcase, but nearly always add it to the fuel ( 4 ozs per 10 gallons ).

For those of us that still run non-detergent oil in our Fords, perhaps a pint of MMO in the crankcase a hundred miles or so prior to oil change might not hurt.

For those running detergent oil, I would see no particular benefit to running MMO in the crankcase, but certainly would continue to add to the fuel.

My opinion only, based on 30 years of using the stuff in my own antiques / jalopies.

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
spinelll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
I've often wondered if "oil of wintergreen" was an ingredient in MMO; it has that aroma to it, and OoW does have solvent qualities...

SC Frank
Speaking of oil of wintergreen, I used to use it on my 1/24 slot cars tires. Hmm, let's see, that was about 1967 or so. Yep, brought my cars and my Cox controller to Tiny Tim's in Maywood or Cury's in Ramsey (NJ). Paid for an hour of race time and had a blast. Cheap thrills I guess.
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Tacoma Bob

I could be wrong but it sure reminds me of the smoke in my old American Flyer back in the early 50s.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
Terry, NJ

MMO! What can anyone say? This stuff has been around (successfully) almost a century! IT"S NOT ATF! as many folks think! ATF has been around since abt 1935, MMO has around since 1923 (I believe). However! ATF will do many things similiar to MMO. You can pour it in the gas. They love the stuff over in "Yesterday'sTractors" (MMO) I love it for unsticking a stuck engine that's been sitting too long without running. In the oil? I dunno, It thins out the oil. I may put it in a dirty engine just before an oil change. It supposed to be great in diesels for keeping the injectors clean. It seems to be a damned good product. I wouldn't want to be without it!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
JohnW

Friends, if you have pumped any gasoline lately into anything then you have pumped gasoline with solvent added. Especially if you live in California or major metropolitan areas like Atlanta or Denver. Almost all modern gasolines have injector cleaners added at the plant. Normal amounts of MMO will not wash the oil from your cylinder walls or ruin the oil in your crank case. Think about how the fuel is delivered to your engine. The engine gets an atomized spray of fuel into the cylinders to be burned. If you have enough MMO and gasoline to wash out the cylinders and contaminate the crank case then your fuel system is much too rich and the engine will not run.
I suppose that in theory after many, many hours of continuous running, one would probably have to change the engine oil because of contamination of the oil by the residuals left from the MMO. It would take probably thousands of hours of running to accummulate that much MMO and the engine would have the normal wear patterns anyway.

I like the way it smells as well.

John Walls
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #31
johnsor

Years ago when I was an development engineer in the industrial lubrication field, we used to refer to oil additives as "moose milk" that the public would buy. Modern oils meeting current API specs. are very well formulated to achieve what oil additives claim to do. Modern oils are very carefully formulated and may not like a foreign substance. I feel that a synthetic is a further improvement over petroleum oils due to its high and low thermal stability, thus I am very satisfied with Mobil I, 10W/30 in my Model A.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #32
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
Years ago when I was an development engineer in the industrial lubrication field, we used to refer to oil additives as "moose milk" that the public would buy. Modern oils meeting current API specs. are very well formulated to achieve what oil additives claim to do. Modern oils are very carefully formulated and may not like a foreign substance. I feel that a synthetic is a further improvement over petroleum oils due to its high and low thermal stability, thus I am very satisfied with Mobil I, 10W/30 in my Model A.
I agree. Synthetic oil is amazing stuff.

But do you see any problem with 2 oz. of MMO in every 5 gallons of gas? I think that's mainly what this thread is mainly about.

Jim
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
FL&WVMIKE

I have been asked, and I don't know:
How far apart are Marvel Mystery Oil and Automatic Transmission Fluid ?
Let's hear from someone who knows.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #34
1931 flamingo

Remember all the top oiler kits from the 40's 50's and 60's? Like Jim/Tx says, what can a few oz's hurt. if you don't "believe" don't use it. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #35
WHN

I use it added to the gas. Really made a difference with valve noise. Engine seems to run smooth. Not expensive, I recommend using.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

WOW, a 6 1/2-year-old thread. A lot of these real old oil threads are coming up again.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #37
captndan

I will continue to use MMO until something better comes on the market.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #38
Synchro909

You mean Marvel Mystery OIL is a solvent. My faith in mankind has been shattered!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #39
barkleydave

No science but an observation. I posted earlier about vapor lock when stopping on a hot day fueling and then rough running, backfire etc due to fuel boil in float chamber.

I use MMO 4 oz per 10 most of the time. I tried an experiment and doubled the amount on a 80 degree plus tour day. I was surprised when I stopped for fuel I did not experience vapor lock. By chance or is it possible that the increased MMO in the fuel raised the boiling point of the fuel? Testing will continue on next tour this weekend.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #40
rocket1

In my antique cars I use A quart of diesel fuel to 20 gal. of gas,helps with vapor lock and counteracts the ethanol.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote