Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Rubatoguy

Default Machine shops in or around Portland OR

Hello,
I have a 1932 Model B engine that was run (and parked in a garage for years) with plain water and as a result the head and water jackets have significant rust and scale. Can anyone recommend any machine shops or engine re-builders in the Portland OR area who can clean the block and head?

If the block is cleaned will that destroy the babbet bearings?

thanks for any reccomendations.

Todd Last
Rubatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Machine shops in or around Portland OR

Well Todd, since no one else has responded yet, let's just suppose you cannot find someone. Here is how I would recommend you start as a Do-it-yourself project.

Find a way to plug the water inlet (the one on the side of the block) and use a 15%-25% solution of Phosphoric acid. Fill the water jackets in block and head. Personally I would rather do it seperately but your call. If you have a way of raising the temperature of the acid, it will work more effectively. After a day or two of soaking, drain the acid out into a plastic pan and immediate begin flushing the block out with a high-pressure water hose. Maybe go to a self-serve car wash and use their high pressure wand? With the head removed from the block, this will enable you to see down into each of the water passages and be able to direct the water pressure into those areas to dislodge the rust & scale. Then repeat as many times as necessary to accomplish your goal. If you will filter the acid through an old cloth, you should be able to re-use several times.

Two or three points; warmer acid works better so if you can devise a safe way to heat the block & acid, then the 'pickeling' will happen much faster. Also, understand that Muratic acid is NOT what you want to use in this application. Phosphoric acid is much tamer and easier to neutralize. Stores such as Home Depot or Lowes carry it in their paint department. Finally, to neutralize the acid, mix dishwashing liquid into water and fill the block/head. Allow it to set followed by flushing with clear water.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
desotoguy

Great advice Brent up to the point about the car wash. Not long ago I was at the car wash with a 60's car, washed the exterior and raised the hood to clean the motor. As I was about to insert the coins, a guy who serviced the car wash came to me and asked what I was about to do. When I replied, he pointed to the instructions on the wall and there in plain English was "Do not clean engines". He mentioned something about the EPA. I did the smart thing, apologized, went home and returned later that night.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
Great advice Brent up to the point about the car wash. Not long ago I was at the car wash with a 60's car, washed the exterior and raised the hood to clean the motor. As I was about to insert the coins, a guy who serviced the car wash came to me and asked what I was about to do. When I replied, he pointed to the instructions on the wall and there in plain English was "Do not clean engines". He mentioned something about the EPA. I did the smart thing, apologized, went home and returned later that night.
............... ...Yeah, I can relate to that too!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
1930artdeco

Brent, with all your great tips I am surprised that you don't get angry calls as to why you are putting local machine shops out of business. You are turning all of us into mini machine shops-you gotta love the Ford Barn!

I will have to remember this one for the future. Is there anything out there to seal up the water passage ways?

Mike
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubatoguy View Post
Hello,
I have a 1932 Model B engine that was run (and parked in a garage for years) with plain water and as a result the head and water jackets have significant rust and scale. Can anyone recommend any machine shops or engine re-builders in the Portland OR area who can clean the block and head?

Todd Last
Todd: you should talk to the machine shop folks at Clackamas Auto Parts in Oregon City. I have had very good help from them. Jake T. Canby Or.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
He mentioned something about the EPA. I did the smart thing, apologized, went home and returned later that night.
You need to grow up.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
norson

The car wash at 50th and Powell blvd. in Portland Oregon has a degreaser fluid as part of their options. Motor Cycles and stuff are cleaned there every day. I cleaned the outside of a transmission case just last week and I'm almost 70. Norm
norson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Brent, with all your great tips I am surprised that you don't get angry calls as to why you are putting local machine shops out of business. You are turning all of us into mini machine shops-you gotta love the Ford Barn!

I will have to remember this one for the future. Is there anything out there to seal up the water passage ways?

Mike
You think he is doing this to all of you, you should see my basement because of his encouragement/pushing .
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubatoguy View Post
Hello,

Todd Last
Todd, The best Machine Shop in Portland, Or. is, and or the whole west cost is

Portland Engine Rebuilders, talk to Ted King, he is the Vice President, they rebuild early, to modern engines.

it is on 1001 S, E. Hawthorne Blvd, portland, Oregon, 97214

800-829-1276. or 503-230-1276

Herm
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
hardtimes

Todd,
Looks like NO ONE knows the answer to you 'destroy babbit' question. I don't think that 'acid'...of any kind, would do babbit any good?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
James Rogers

Caustic soda will destroy babbitt and any reputable shop WON'T let any motor with babbitt in it, new or old, in their tank. The reaction turns anything in the tank BLACK and kills the caustic. Brass turns cast and steel orange.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Todd,
Looks like NO ONE knows the answer to you 'destroy babbit' question. I don't think that 'acid'...of any kind, would do babbit any good?
First off, I believe many of us actually DO know the effects of acid. I honestly felt like Todd knew the answer too. I might add that in my advice to Todd, in no way did I try to suggest that the block be immersed in any type of acid where the babbitt would/could be compromised. While I understand that common sense is not all that 'common' in this present society, IMHO none of us here that do offer advice can do all of the thinking for the other person.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com