Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2021, 06:05 AM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: Model A Ignition Newbie Question

You have done a good job with your ignition system. If the condenser was not working the ignition will sort of work but not very well.

I am still concerned about the soot on the plugs. If you have an air cleaner take it off. The Model A carburetor was not designed to be used with an air cleaner. You may have to readjust your GAV with the air cleaner off.

You are purchasing a new screen for the gasoline filter. Why? Is there a lot of crud in the screen and sediment bowl? If so, your carburetor may need to be cleaned out.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #22
mgambuzza

Default Re: Model A Ignition Newbie Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I am still concerned about the soot on the plugs. If you have an air cleaner take it off. The Model A carburetor was not designed to be used with an air cleaner. You may have to readjust your GAV with the air cleaner off.

You are purchasing a new screen for the gasoline filter. Why? Is there a lot of crud in the screen and sediment bowl? If so, your carburetor may need to be cleaned out.

I was as well, but purchasing this last October with no history of prior maintenance, I do not know how long they were in there. I do not use an air cleaner. The GAV was set multiple turns CCW - I originally thought it was broken until I turn it so many times CW that it eventually stopped. Since then I've tried operating 1/4 - 1/2 turn CCW from the stop point. It will be interesting if it continues to run well to pull the plugs after a few weeks to see how the plugs look.

The glass bowl was yellow/brown on the inside. I figures as a matter of maintenance if I was going to clean the bowl, to replace the screen and gasket as one less potential issue to haunt me down the road. I'll try to insert a picture later on this post.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)