Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default HORDER or DREAMER ??????

I wonder what category you fall into?
I find my self in the dreamer Category,Although I have a few cars that
need redoing And I have a large amount of parts Some fit the cars some don't.( ENOUGH THAT SOME MAY GIVE ME THE HORDER TITLE )
Now here is the snag I have not desided how to bring the cars back to life. STOCK / STREET ROD / RAT ROD.

I know with that last one a few of you ran to get the BROMO to settle your tum tum.

Not having enough $$$$ to start now I am still gathering Parts.

Here is the Dreaming part.
I have built those cars with the help of my Grand kids So Many Times,Gone on Trips to get Ice Cream,Used the cars for there Proms &
Weddings and finally given the cars to them "BUT" I find that it is only in my mind / DREAMS.

With the Dreams it keeps me young and I know that LORD willing I will be around to see my dreams come to life.

Are there any of you that can Relate to my Dream world.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: HORDER or DREAMER ??????

Hey Bill...Good one!! I would say I fit equally well in either category. I'm constantly dreaming about what I might want to do with my existing cars and acquiring others that I've always wanted to own. My wife (bless her heart) has labeled me as a true Class 5 Hoarder I try to save everything and find a good use for what I save. I think i am the product of parents who struggled through the worst of the depression years and they taught me to make use of everything possible.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Tinker

I hoard the parts of my dreams!

But I can't be a true hoarder if I sell stuff or give stuff away to someone that needs it, can I?

Think,think,work vs work,work,think. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
chuck stevens

Bill,
Sounds like it's time to sell that old coupe. The kids are getting too old to eat ice cream, and with cost of gas maybe you have one to many. Just kidding, we all are dreamers and hoarders to some degree, I think it's like getting a joint replaced- you have to figure out how much more time you have left. If I was only sixteen again, back when a 55-57 chevy was $25, and NO ONE even wanted a flathead v8, what a hoarder I could be....wooops dreaming again!!
How's is the knee doing, see you in Florida, Chuck

PS Suzie got to ride 1st class this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunday morning 005.JPG (152.1 KB, 46 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Dick

Bill,
You really hit home with me. I spent years dreaming, accumulating and became a hoarder in doing so. I had 6 projects and nothing getting done. Health issues brought reality to the forefront and I'm down to 3 projects and working toward two. I've been selling off parts that were in my basement; many of which I didn't know I had! Seems 90% dreaming and 10% ambition wasn't working! I'm now motivated to simplify things as my children have no interest in the cars and have no idea what the parts are.
Hope to have on done by fall; Dream? Perhaps.
Nice to know I wasn't the only one!
Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
deuce lover

Dreams are free
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
32phil

I have been going to swap meets/flea markets for 40+ yrs. Just buying 32 Ford and early Hot Rod stuff. I'm a collector not a hoarder. At this point in my life I am selling off parts I will never use (sometimes cheaply) if I know they will be used on some ones project and not for resale. I would rather see the parts be put to use rather than be stored forever and never come to good use. As a side interest I repair early Ford locks and can cut keys by code. I ran into a gentleman at a swap meet who was well into his 80's. He wanted $15 per key..... a huge price. Too much for me....unfortunately those keys will probably go for pennies ( if that) when his kids sell off ( or worse send to the scrapper) his stuff and have no idea what they are selling. If you are not going to use it pass it on and help keep our hobby alive.
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
BILL WZOREK

32phil
There lies the problem ,I Don't know what DREAM I will wake from and start the Build process so I don't know what parts are extra.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

I fall into the "out of your freaking mind, completley nuts" category for spending so much time and money on these old fords.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
jim1932

To be fair there is another category.... I bet the investment in those parts and cars is outperforming the rates on a CD. I know it is easy to put more money into a car than it is worth, but collecting the parts isn't in that category as long as you aren't overpaying for them.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
35 rancho

I told my better half that it's not the car ,it's the chase. Got 5 grand kids, got 5 working days , got 5 old Fords 4 on the road 1 in the oven. Dreams can come true.
35 rancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
01aford

Pick one car you want to restore. Keep all the parts you have for that car and sell everthing else.
Only keep double parts not triple. Selling all the parts I bet you will be able to restore your dream car for next to nothing.
Getting rid of the extras is difficult at first but its liberating once you get into the swing. At one time I had enough parts for three or four 1940. Now Im down to one fully restored car with only a few spare parts.
01aford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
BrianCT

I have been a dealer/collector of early American furniture for 40 years and learned a sad lesson. I thought the demand for country furniture would never fade, so besides buying and selling I put aside projects for retirement. Well the demand has greatly decreased and now my furniture projects are simply taking up valuable space. I have had to stack them to the ceiling or sell at hugh losses, so that I have space to work on the Ford.
LESSON LEARNED.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #14
Clem Clement

Dream on. Over the years I dream about the cars I sold and shouldn't have. During Vietman we all talked about what we had back home and dreamed about recovering those we sold and those we needed. My old Merc never left my Mother's garage inmy mind as did our 41 coupe with the jump seats. Now I need to sell two cars and no body seems interested: a 28 Model AR phaeton in pieces and a driving 29 Packard 7 pass. touring. My mind has room for another car that I can freshen and play with. I love freshing up something as I'm no good and body work and painting.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
uncle buck

Some think I'm a hoarder, but I consider myself an art collector with some of Henry's fine art......
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
gearheadbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Some think I'm a hoarder, but I consider myself an art collector with some of Henry's fine art......
Ahah! A horder turned collector. What will you think up next?
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
vince76

I don't really fit into either catagory. I consider myself a realist. I love vintage iron. But I learned long ago that I would never finish a project. So I never start one. I have 7 cars in my yard right now. Ranging from 1929 to 74.(only three are Fords). I get my kicks by taking them apart and passing the parts on to Dreamers and Horders. Its a win win situation for all involved.
Its amazing what technology they were using even in the 20s. I have learned a lot over the years by dismantling cars. But dont ask me about politics or sports cause I haven't a clue.
vince76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Mike51Merc

Dreaming (wanting certain things) leads to collecting (gathering certain things) which leads to hoarding (gathering everything)!
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Chris Nelson

If you hoard parts and also use them, you are adding to your own mental health. Sickness is when you hoard and do nothing with the parts. The mental health comes with doing something worthwhile with the parts. Look what it has done to the guys on this site. Questions and answers that require the use of our brains. It sure beats sitting in front of the TV and sinking deeper into the furniture until they have to remove you.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Gumpy

Dreaming about car builds for a long time....my father in law talked about it for 33 years and passed before he ever drove the convertible he dreamed about....he's still listed on my about me page as a friend and im thinking about moving him over to the fordbarn chapel....It took me 11 years building a car raising a family to make roadworthy...had a bunch of parts and gave them away to some happy people now tryin to raise a few bucks to finish a project....my philosophy is if you help out others it will come back you way..these people whom only sell on the barn and contribute nothing else ought to think about it...so I no longer hoard parts...I save just what I need! gump
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote