Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Air Conditioning in your Ford...what did you do?

Looking at air conditioning options for the 55 Club Sedan. What did you guys do and what have you been happy with so far?

Photos would be helpful
Old 07-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: Air Conditioning in your Ford...what did you do?

Old Air in my Model A
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
miker98038

I used a Classic Air select fit in my 55 bird (12v). I was concerned that the compressor was driven off the same belt as the alternator, and that it would slip. That has not been a problem, and the 90 amp alternator doesn't slip either. (Lots of electrical load with EFI, and 2 cooling fans).

In a full size car, I'd never do anything but an under dash unit. I like the fresh air thru the OEM heater. My buddy has an under dash in a 57 bird, and I couldn't live with the loss of space.

I've got an OT '67 with a vintage air unit. It's better, more air flow, better distribution. In a full size car I'd do a vintage air under dash.

In either case, you need to watch the total electrical load. With the electric condenser fan, clutch, and interior fan, output at idle can be marginal, even with an alternator. Going to high speed fan, hot day, stuck in traffic, the voltage can fall pretty low.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
frank long island

I had a vintage air gen 5 in my wagon even with the clear glass it was cool heater worked great and dehumidified defrost was great the under dash units work good from what I hear
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
40cpe

I don't know if you are asking about style or brand. I put a Vintage Air 134A unit in my '40 Ford in '95. I sold it last Fall and it still put out 39 Degree air and had never had to recharge it. There might be other brands as good but, in my experience, none better. Let them match your evaporator, compressor, and condenser.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
rick55

I used classic auto air direct fit system in my 55 Customline. Works a treat though I installed double pulleys and a twin belt system. I couldn't stop it squealing. Overall very happy with it though I would use the new vintage air brackets for a yblock which allow the air con pump to be on its own belt.
This system allows the car demister vents to be utilised and quickly demist a fogged window.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
rick55

Further to my earlier post, in the vintage air catalogue page 69, they show the new bracket system 131111 in use on the yblock engine. The use of this bracket allows an add on crank pulley to be used rather than the twin belt pulleys I had to use. Though the bracket is more expensive than the earlier bracket system the saving is in lower cost of pulleys. As I said earlier I couldn't stop my pulleys squealing.

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #8
miker98038

Rick55, you caught my mistake. The classic autoair I used is now called "perfect fit". Interesting that you needed 2 belts, and I got by with 1, even though I was skeptical. Does your compressor mount passenger side, over the generator/alternator?
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
rick55

Mike, my compressor mounts below the alternator. I had to use A series belts because of the pulleys on the alternator and compressor. I just couldn't get enough adjustment. Even with twin belts I had to use belts that are bleeding hard to get over the pulleys. The pulley on the alternator is a aftermarket thing that was chrome plated which I think added to the slip. I'm using a 120 Amp Chev alternator which I managed to score cheaply. The bracket kit I'm using is the 15111VFB. It may have worked on one belt with the wider v belt which probably wouldn't stretch as much.

Quote:
Henry Ford
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
oldave57

I used a Vintage Air under dash unit that has heat/cool/defrost. I completely removed the factory heater core and housing so the Vintage Air "Slimline" unit would fit in better under the dash. The unit works very well, although I really don't drive the car in cold weather to verify the heater/defrost function, it puts out good air flow and heat during testing.

I made my own compressor mounting bracket because I couldn't find a commercial one with the compressor mounted up high on the passenger side (most had it mounted low on the passenger side). I like the compressor up high because the hose routing seems simpler and service is easier. My car had factory power steering, so I ran the compressor belt around the power steering pump, adding a double groove pulley to replace the bolt-on single groove pulley for the power steering. I had to double up the power steering pulley, running a double belt around the crank, power steering, and compressor. The belt system works well with no slipping/squealing.

Good luck with your installation. There are obviously many ways to install A/C that work well. I will have to say it is really nice to have the air conditioning on hot, humid days here in the Midwest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (45.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg AirCond 062a.jpg (74.5 KB, 29 views)
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #11
Johnnydidd

I think the first thing to do insulate the fire wall, make sure all holes are closed off, run insulation from firewall to back seat to reflect as much engine and outside heat as possible, make sure that all doors and windows are as sealed off as much as possible. I used Vintage Air on my 53 Victoria Flathead it put out 40 degree cold air, I used a six blade fan, I tried an electric fan in town it worked great, on highway it would heat up. with six blade fan it worked good both ways. Next I will air condition my 56 merc, I bought my alternator and compressor bracket from vintage air, I plan to use a six blade fan and under dash on her, I bought a insulation firewall board from MAC'S, its made for my 56 merc, I should get it in a couple days

Last edited by Johnnydidd; 07-14-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

I just open all the windows, both Magic-Aire vents and wing windows. It's alright if you are on the highway, but sitting in traffic, it is an oven in summertime.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote