Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
34fordy

Default Tire truing/shaving at John Worden's shop

I had 5 Firestone 5.25 x 17 tires with less than 1500 miles on balanced spoke rims. It was almost unbearable to drive in excess of 40mph as the front fenders were bouncing like crazy. The tires were very much out of round. I took the mounted tires to Green Mountain, Iowa where John Worden has his restoration shop. After John did his magic on the tires, I removed all the weights, and took a test drive this afternoon. What a difference! I can now drive at highway speeds with no problem. The shop John has is capable of any type of restoration anyone could need and the workmanship by John and Steve is top of the line. A great place to stop if anywhere near in central Iowa.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
john worden

Default Re: Tire truing/shaving at John Worden's shop

Thank you 34fordy
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
rheltzel

Of course you realize that by shaving a tire all you've done is masked the symptoms of a poor quality tire and, depending on how much shaving was necessary to achieve the roundness it should have had in the first place, reduced the number of miles you can expect to get out of it, right? I wouldn't be too happy about that if it were my tire.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
bobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
Of course you realize that by shaving a tire all you've done is masked the symptoms of a poor quality tire and, depending on how much shaving was necessary to achieve the roundness it should have had in the first place, reduced the number of miles you can expect to get out of it, right? I wouldn't be too happy about that if it were my tire.
agreed... sh***y bandaid fix for a defective tire.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

I always trued the tires on my cars back in the day. Will greatly improve the ride and increase tire wear. I wish I could find a shop that still does truing.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Ross F-1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've heard that many shops, including Discount Tire, still do tire shaving. On modern AWD cars, if you blow a tire, you can't just replace it with new, if the others are worn. It burns up the differentials if there's a significant difference. So they shave the new tire down to match the others.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

If it works for YOU it is a good fix. I'm quite sure you'll choose another brand
next time.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:07 AM   #8
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheltzel View Post
So what??? The merchandise, regardless of its origin, is now usable. What would you suggest? Wall hangers? Dumpster?

To 34fordy and john worden, Congratulations on getting together. Its nice when a difficult problem meets a positive solution!

Last edited by A bones; 04-26-2016 at 04:30 AM. Reason: just having fun!
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:54 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

I remember just 30 - 40 years ago, my Uncle used to have all his brand new radials shaved just a bit . . . sure made the car track better and ride smoother.

This post does give me the idea that I should never buy tires until I'm just about ready to drive the car and also I should attempt to get a guarantee that the damn things are round - of they're going back to the supplier. I don't know if Firestone still manufacturers these (or if they're just made under license), but I'd want them to take them back if they are bad from the get go.

Thanks for the post - good information and glad you found a great vendor!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
rheltzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
So what??? The merchandise, regardless of its origin, is now usable. What would you suggest? Wall hangers? Dumpster?

To 34fordy and john worden, Congratulations on getting together. Its nice when a difficult problem meets a positive solution!
Assuming it was a previously used tire and not possible due to age or whatever to return it to the vendor as defective, I agree with you that shaving was a positive solution.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Vanspeed

I had two Firestone deluxe tires go out of round on my coupe. I had driven three summers on them with no issues. Then they started shaking the fenders as described above. If there was somebody local who could have shaved them I would have done just that but had to buy two new tires. Glad you have somebody close that still does it.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:15 PM   #12
34fordy

Not only was it a positive solution for me but also----
I got to meet two great guys-
I saw a neat shop with some very interesting tools--
I learned new things--
I looked at some very nice old motorcycles from my youth--
I left with a smile and feel the same today!
Don
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
36coupe

I would be surprised if any bias ply was perfectly round. Even radials are not perfectly round if you watch them spin on a balancer. A tire also expands in diameter as it spins faster.
I missed out buying a shaver by a year from a old shop. He said used tires where a pain as any small stones stuck in the tread messed up the knives.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #14
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
This post does give me the idea that I should never buy tires until I'm just about ready to drive the car ....
This is going to be essential pretty quick. The gubmint is looking to impose a 6 yr limit on age of tires. Already I guess a couple of lawsuits have decided that tires older than that contributed to accidents. Believe it or not, the tire manufacturers are fighting the new laws NHTSA is proposing?! You'd think they'd be all over that, guaranteed more sales.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
russcc

I have returned new radial tires to the vendor that would not pass my self imposed limit of 15#s of road force. When I have tires mounted, they check and record the road force, along with balancing them. They adjust the road force by moving the tire radially on the wheel so the heavy part of the tire is at the lightest spot on the wheel. You probably all know that Coker Tires owns the Firestone molds, and they are made at Specialty Tire in PA. All the Firestones, no matter who the vendor is are sourced there. You folks are lucky you have someone in your area that knows how to shave tires to get them round.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
Krylon32

Back in the 60's the OK Tire Store I did business with automatically trued and balanced almost every passenger car tire they sold.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #17
john worden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I always trued the tires on my cars back in the day. Will greatly improve the ride and increase tire wear. I wish I could find a shop that still does truing.
Contact Weaver Brake & Tire
530 Manget St.
Marietta Ga. 30060
Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
Bassman/NZ

For the nay-sayers.... surely having a tire perfectly round is going to save wear over an out of round tire, there-by offsetting the amount of rubber removed.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #19
ctaulbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I had two Firestone deluxe tires go out of round on my coupe. I had driven three summers on them with no issues. Then they started shaking the fenders as described above. If there was somebody local who could have shaved them I would have done just that but had to buy two new tires. Glad you have somebody close that still does it.
I bought a tire shaver last year for personal use. I'm located in Clarkston if you know of anyone in the future looking to have their tires shaved.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #20
A bones

Cool Re: Tire truing/shaving at John Worden's shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
For the nay-sayers.... surely having a tire perfectly round is going to save wear over an out of round tire, there-by offsetting the amount of rubber removed.
Exactly!!