Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
JPaulB

Default 32' Tudor Hinge Pin Fit

First time post guys. Working on replacing hinge pins on my Tudor. All four are in need of something oversize. I have some stock sized hinges and some stainless steel "big ones"(11/32") from Mac's.

35 years ago, when I re-did the passenger side door, I actually found some pins that were 3 or 4 thou oversize that worked without redrilling the hinge, but would like to standardize all of them.

I'd rather NOT use the large Mac's pins because they are sooo big. But haven't found any in between those and the stockers, which are too small.

Questions: Do you know of anybody (or something else that will work) that's bigger than stock but smaller than 11/32" and what type of clearance should I be looking for on the pin? What type of lube should the pin have (if any) when installed?

Thanks! (I'm amazed at the knowledge the guys have on this forum!)
JPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: 32' Tudor Hinge Pin Fit

I had a local machine shop make me some slightly oversize pins for my deuce 3 window. Basically just ran a slightly oversize bit thru the hinges to make everything fit.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Dak Rat

I reamed the hole to make them round again and then turned down bolts to get a nice fit--lota work but did fix the problem.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
JPaulB

Thanks, guys!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
barryfromvictoria

j paul--- go to any ford, chryco, or g.m dealer and buy a common 5/16" hinge pin out of a van rear door. there are lots of different lengths and heads i found some years ago and all i had to do was turn the larger head down to match the early ford aesthetics and reamed out the hinge to fit. the repros arn`t accurate and some are undersize [ less than 9/32"] so they may be looser than than the old ones. always use calipers or mic. to measure dia. using bolts is not very good if you can`t put a proper spline to hold the pin from turning. note: always measure the reamer too by fitting pin to reamed hole in a scrap piece of steel!
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
JPaulB

Good suggestions, Barry. I appreciate you taking the time to send the info along.