Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
prairieboy

Question power steering

what is there available for power steering conversions for a 57 fairlane
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: power steering

The original power assist assembly is a complete bolt-on swap. Most of the repro parts suppliers offer replacement power steering pump, pulley, reservoir, cap, belt, hoses, hose mounting bracket and rubber, large bolt that holds the cast-iron pump bracket to the timing cover and power steering idler-arm and bushing kit. You may need to get original power steering pump brackets, control valve assembly, ram cylinder, the add-on crankshaft damper, idler arm bracket and the main steering tie rod. It is also best to use the original power steering sector arm since it is deeper than the standard steering sector arm. I believe you can also re-use your original tie-rod end assemblies.
The repro suppliers also sell the power steering fluid filters, but I buy mine in bulk from a filter supplier much cheaper.
You can have an almost completely new power steering setup from the repro parts suppliers, but the cost will add up to $$$.
You keep your original steering gearbox as it is
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #3
craig

If you don't care about originality, Borgeson builds a power steering gear box to fit a '52-'64 Ford. There are several places selling R & P kits, but they are a lot of messing around to install
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Ford blue blood

The Borgeson kit is complete down to the mounting brackets for the pump. It's cost is less then sourcing the "original/repop" parts to keep the original steering box.

Either the Borgeson or one of the rack kits will require steering column modifications and as a result the three speed column linkage will not work. Auto linkage will work with slight modifications.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Ole Don

If I were to do it today, I would check in to an electric power steering unit. Info is available on the HAMB.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
prairieboy

Dave are you saying that a complete power assist system from a 59 merc will fit on a 57 Fairlane I know where there is a complete setup minus the pump also found a complete integrated power steering system on a 64 galaxie if this would fit which would you recommend
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
miker98038

Along with the HAMB, there’s a long thread on yblocksforever about electric steering in a 56. Not knowing anything about the 57 steering I don’t know if it’s much help, but it’s an inside read.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112422.aspx

I put a Cavalier power rack in my 55 bird. After a lot of screwing around it works. I wouldn’t do it again.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
Dave are you saying that a complete power assist system from a 59 merc will fit on a 57 Fairlane I know where there is a complete setup minus the pump also found a complete integrated power steering system on a 64 galaxie if this would fit which would you recommend

I can tell you that a factory '54 Ford P.S. setup will swap with any full size '55, 56, 57 or '58 Ford car if they both came out of Y-block's (there may be an exception to the '57/58 idler arm bracket, but not 100% sure).
I couldn't swear to the '59 Ford or Merc. At some point around that time, Fomoco widened the distance between the frame rails. Maybe it wasn't until '60 that they did that. But in doing so, the steering arm-to-idler arm rod of the later cars would have been elongated and may not work. Also the pump mounting brackets are Y-block specific and may not fit with the later FE style engines. And you would also have the difference in the crankshaft damper.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:02 AM   #9
Indomwe

I know this thread is couple years old but I am struggling with the install of a borgeson box on my 61 fairlane. Everything fits up except for the column connection. I need to modify the column to fit the rag joint. Car is column shift auto.

Does anyone have knowledge on how to modify the column

Any help so much appreciated
Indomwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #10
Ford blue blood

Real estate is the problem for the column mounted shifters. The column needs to be shortened. An adaptor to connect the steering shaft to the box is needed. Using a rag joint takes up even more real estate. Borgeson sells an adapter that has an internal vibration dampener that may give enough room the use the column shift arms. Don't know for sure as every one of those units I have installed were in auto cars.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote