Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Oldrod47

Default 47 coupe trunk leaks

I got caught in the Tenn/Ky rains last month and found my trunk soaked when I finally got home and emptied it out. Located the leak about 4-6 inches inboard from the drivers side trunk hinge when I washed it. How do you adjust the trunk lid ? Can you shim the hinge? Or do you somehow raise up the weather strip?

Also , cowl vent leaks like a sieve, have tried double gaskets and it still leaks.

May have to get bilge pumps the way its leaking.
Oldrod47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 47 coupe trunk leaks

I have the same problems with our '47 Convertible, the cowl vent and the trunk leak in varying degrees depending on how strong the rain is... I should also mention that the cowl vents on our other cars & trucks also leak. I think that it is an inherent problem with most cowl vent equipped Ford built cars & trucks. I carry a large towel as well as a roll of shop towels to try and limit the flow of water while driving in the rain.

I think Ford referred to Convertibles as "all weather cars" because all the weather gets in no matter if the top is up or down... Just one of the joys of driving an open car.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
chuck stevens

Both the trunk and cowl vent leak on my 47 fordor. I think that was how they sold new cars every 3-4 years. Once the floor mat gets wet it never dries out. Post the cure if you find one, Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
6-pack

If there was a magnetic rubber flap that was water-tight I think it would solve the problem. I have the leaking problem on my '47 Ford F-3 & also on a '53 Dodge B4B with top-side air cowl vents. I replaced the seals on both with new rubber but it only slowed the leaks. If anyone ever runs across a solution I sure would like to know what it is.
6-pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
supereal

I installed a trunk seal from Dennis Carpenter in my '47 convertible years ago, and it has never leaked. Be aware that the seals for open and closed cars are not the same. The coupe and sedans are also a separate item. Before you beginning installation, be sure the rim of the opening is clean and undamaged. Use only the hollow core seals, and place any part of the seal with an opening at the bottom of the trunk. working around the edge, install the seal, When done, put a bead of weatherstrip sealer under the lip of the seal all around between the seal and the body of the car. Carpenter also sells the sealer. Be sure the part number is correct for the car, and use only seals with a bonded corners. The order number for Carpenter is 1-800-476-9653. They make the seals that are sold by good dealers. The convertible seal is 11A-7647320. Coupe 11A-7243720, Sedans 11A-7043720
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The cowl vent mechanism can be adjusted to make the fit tighter.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
corvette8n

On your coupe also make sure water is not coming in back window, on my car I thought the trunk seals were leaking but water was actually coming in at the very bottom on window.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
waterboychuck

I used quarter inch rubber washers to raise the trunk lid so that it would at least open without binding. I also have a new rubber seal.