Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Johnnydidd

Default Installing PCV on 312

Would someone show me how to install a PCV valve on my 312 Merc. thanks john
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: Installing PCV on 312

Last post on this link is a list of articles. Thanks to Ted Eaton

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic69384.aspx
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

send me your email address and i will send you a word file and photos of the install that I did for the Y block magazine.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Johnnydidd

my email is [email protected] THANKS I will be looking for it
Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
oldave57

I'm sure the information that you receive by email will cover all of this as well, but I thought I would post the procedure I used to install the PCV valve on my 57 Ford 292:

1) Remove intake manifold and existing valley pan and replace the valley pan with one that has provision for the PCV valve (installed in the original rear road draft tube port in the valley pan) There is a valley pan on Ebay that would work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-19...3D310872866460

I couldn't use this spacer plate with my installation due to having a 2-barrel carb and I could not find a spacer plate with the vacuum port, so I just drilled and tapped the intake manifold right behind the carb and installed a fitting. Either way would work, but for you the spacer plate would probably be easier.

The other thing I did with the T-Bird valley pan was to braze a plug over the hole in the port (in the baffle box) directly below where the PCV valve and grommet are inserted to prevent oil splash from reaching the PCV valve.

2: Install spacer plate under your carb (if it is a 4-barrel which I assume it is with your 312 engine). There is a spacer plate with PCV valve & hose on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-57-FORD...dRcTXv&vxp=mtr

The PCV valve with this kit is probably a good fit for the 312, but if you purchase a PCV separately, you need to match the PCV (cubic inch displacement rating) as close as you can. I bought a PCV for a 1966 Fairlane w/289 engine that I bought from Rock Auto and it worked just fine.

3: Block off the original road draft tube on the lower front portion of the block on the driver's side. I just fashioned a plate from 1/8" steel and made a gasket to fit the opening. Some others have re-installed the original draft tube with the opening blocked off to keep original look. Either way would work, but I felt the plate was simpler.

That's about it. Good luck with your installation. I'm sure you will be happy with the end result (less oil dripping, less engine fumes in garage, even some improved crankshaft sealing due to partial vacuum in crankcase)

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCV 010a.JPG (229.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg PCV 011a.JPG (226.1 KB, 88 views)
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Ole Don

I did mine like oldave 57 above, but I made a baffle inside the valley pan. When the valley pan is off, be sure to get all the crud out of the covered area, then cut and insert two levels of 3M green pad as a baffle. Without the baffle, the engine would suck oil. If you have done the conversion and notice at highway speed the car makes oil disappear, this is the problem. To cover the hole on the side of the block, a fuel pump gasket seemed like a good fit, so I found a fuel pump block off plate. I also used sealer on those two bolts.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Johnnydidd

Question, instead of removing valley pan and intake could I just go into one of the rocker covers?
Old 11-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
oldave57

The air flow through the engine is somewhat "centered" with the outlet in the rear of the valley pan cover, and if the outlet was in just one of the valve covers it wouldn't be quite as effective.

According to the Ford shop manual, air enters at the oil fill cap (which is filtered with a mesh filter) and into the front of the valley pan cavity. It is then diverted by a baffle in the valley pan to go through both rocker arm chambers and flows from front to rear in those chambers and back to the rear area of the engine and crankcase and finally, drawn out at the rear of the valley pan (with the T-bird valley pan where the road draft tube was originally installed for T-bird applications). By installing the PCV in this location, you are keeping the air flow pretty much the same as originally intended.

I have seen some installations where air is drawn out of the valve covers and into the air cleaner to attempt to provide crankcase ventilation, but the installation isn't nearly as clean as the rear of the valley pan and probably not as effective for crankcase ventilation.

Removal of the intake manifold and valley pan is quite a bit of work, but it was worth the effort (in my opinion) for an effective PCV installation.

Dave
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Johnnydidd

Dave, makes sense, thanks
Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
bjmayberry2

What grommet and PCV valve are you guys using?
bjmayberry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
bjmayberry2

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Last post on this link is a list of articles. Thanks to Ted Eaton

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic69384.aspx
None of Teds links work
bjmayberry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #12
TedEaton

Retry those links again. I found that they were going to one of the older YBF sites and have edited the hyperlinks which should take them to the current forum. Ted Eaton.

edit: I just tried the links from the FordBarn and they are not current to here yet. They are current if accessing directly from the YBF site but not here. That's a four year old post and it may take a few hours for the changes to come to the forefront across the internet. Ted.

Last edited by TedEaton; 11-18-2016 at 08:51 AM.
TedEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
big job

Do a search on lets say a 1964 Ford truck (YBlock) I had a F350 it was the screw
type pvc near the distributor and went into the base of the carb. the draft/filter was
blanked off. If I remember correcly late Y bocks didn't have a 'hole' for the draft
filter and tube. easiest is a carb spacer with a vacuum port if not drill and tap the
intake... sam

drill and tap make sure you use a shop vac

Last edited by big job; 11-18-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: forgot to say
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
blucar

The PCV system off of a '64 Ford 292 truck is a bolt-in application for any Y-block, 292-312.. I have done several of them during the past twenty years. The fitting to replace the road draft tube bolts right in place of same.
The engine will run a little richer with the PCV so the carb will have to be leaned out a bit.
Some of the earlier Y-Block have a block breather on the lower left side of the block. This will have to be blocked off. To keep the engine stock looking I put a flat plate between the breather can and the block..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.1.jpg (53.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.4.jpg (53.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 57 312 PCV.jpg (41.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
Question, instead of removing valley pan and intake could I just go into one of the rocker covers?
I have converted several Ford Y-Blocks to PCV systems using a Chevy type of PCV installed into a valve cover. I prefer the right side valve cover.
The only trick to this application is that a baffle has to be fabricated and installed on the bottom of the valve cover between two valves, allowing clearance for same. The baffle "box" has to be deep enough for the PCV to seat into the grommet in the cover with about 1/4" clearance for air flow. I install the baffle box with four pop rivets. The radius of the valve cover, can/will require good fitment of the box to the valve cover.
All of the parts required for the Chevy system are available at any good parts store. Most intakes have vacuum ports, if yours does not use a spacer under the carb that had a 3/8" port in it.
Block off the road draft tube and make sure the crankcase fill pipe has a breathable, mess filled cap on it.