Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
shew01

Default '57 Fairlane 292 CID Oil Dipstick Missing Stop

My oil dipstick is missing the metal cap that acts as a stop, which means that the stick goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan when inserted. To get an accurate read, I clean the dipstick, pinch the dipstick where the cap should be, insert the dipstick until my "pinch" touches the top of the dipstick tube, remove the dipstick, and read the oil level.

When the dipstick is in the tube, the top of the dipstick leaves a gap between it and the tube (because of the missing stop/cap). Sometimes a wisp of what looks like steam comes from that gap. As far as I can tell, the radiator does not appear to be loosing any water into the engine.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure that this is the correct dipstick for the car. 6 quarts of oil doesn't take the oil all the way up to the full mark, and the $30 "correct replacement" that I bought is not the correct replacement because it is about 2 1/2 inches shorter than my oil display and doesn't touch the oil at all when inserted.

I've googled without much luck.

Questions:

1) Can any one point me to a correct replacement (new or used) dipstick?

2) Is there a way to repair this dipstick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
oldave57

Default Re: '57 Fairlane 292 CID Oil Dipstick Missing Stop

C&G Ford Parts lists an engine oil dipstick for the y-block (Price is $19.95). You could possibly braze some type of stop on your current dipstick, but it would probably not look quite like the original.

Good luck with your repair,
Dave

http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...h&searchnumber=
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
C&G Ford Parts lists an engine oil dipstick for the y-block (Price is $19.95). You could possibly braze some type of stop on your current dipstick, but it would probably not look quite like the original.

Good luck with your repair,
Dave

http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...h&searchnumber=

Thanks for the response. C&G is where I purchased the one that is so short it doesn't touch the oil. ($19.95 + $10 shipping)

I'm still looking, but brazing could be an option. I hadn't thought about that.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
dmsfrr

If there's a car club near you for similar vehicles join it and ask around. Another owner may have an extra one or know where one is.
An old-school machine / repair shop may have leftover misc parts too.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If there's a car club near you for similar vehicles join it and ask around. Another owner may have an extra one or know where one is.
An old-school machine / repair shop may have leftover misc parts too.

Excellent idea. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
oldave57

Just for comparison, I measured my oil dipstick (57 Fairlane 500 w/292) from the inside of the stop to the end of the dipstick measures 24.19 inches and from the end of the dipstick to the full mark measures 2.69 inches. When I fill with 5 quarts (including filter), the level comes up just above the full mark by 1/8" or so. I know the manual shows 5 quarts (plus 1 for the filter), but 5 quarts on my dipstick comes up right about the full mark (with filter change)

You might compare these dimensions against the replacement dipstick you have (with the stop) to see how it compares. You could adjust the levels slightly by modifying the dipstick tube also. The main thing is to have the level on full with the correct amount of oil.

Dave
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
.... Sometimes a wisp of what looks like steam comes from that gap. As far as I can tell, the radiator does not appear to be loosing any water into the engine. ....
If there was a water leak into the engine oil it would look like whipped brown milk.
When the engine is up to operating temp any misc. moisture is evaporated out of the oil, along with a bit of oil vapor. Perfectly normal unless the oil vapor is coating the bottom of the hood or front of the engine.
And also why it's a good idea to drive a car until everything is up to full operating temp, not just start it every now and then or only drive it short distances, esp. over the winter.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If there was a water leak into the engine oil it would look like whipped brown milk.
When the engine is up to operating temp any misc. moisture is evaporated out of the oil, along with a bit of oil vapor. Perfectly normal unless the oil vapor is coating the bottom of the hood or front of the engine.
And also why it's a good idea to drive a car until everything is up to full operating temp, not just start it every now and then or only drive it short distances, esp. over the winter.

Thanks, that helps give me peace of mind. The oil looked normal before and after my oil change.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldave57 View Post
Just for comparison, I measured my oil dipstick (57 Fairlane 500 w/292) from the inside of the stop to the end of the dipstick measures 24.19 inches and from the end of the dipstick to the full mark measures 2.69 inches. When I fill with 5 quarts (including filter), the level comes up just above the full mark by 1/8" or so. I know the manual shows 5 quarts (plus 1 for the filter), but 5 quarts on my dipstick comes up right about the full mark (with filter change)

You might compare these dimensions against the replacement dipstick you have (with the stop) to see how it compares. You could adjust the levels slightly by modifying the dipstick tube also. The main thing is to have the level on full with the correct amount of oil.

Dave

My replacement is only 21 inches long. Thanks for the measurements. They will be handy.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
paul2748

I looked all over for a dipstick for my 312. Could not find any (mine broke off just above the cup)

As a last resort I bought a Tbird dipstick (much longer than the sedan one), remarked it to the sedan marks and cut the excess off.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I looked all over for a dipstick for my 312. Could not find any (mine broke off just above the cup)

As a last resort I bought a Tbird dipstick (much longer than the sedan one), remarked it to the sedan marks and cut the excess off.

Hmmm. That's a possibility.