Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #21
Modelacoupe3

Default Re: The new 1940 Ford Book is now available

Just received my copy today . Awesome book !
Thank you Mike !
Modelacoupe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #22
Mike Conshafter

Congratulations on getting your book completed Mike! As soon as it shows up I'll be reading it cover to cover!
Mike Conshafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #23
4tcoupe

Ordered one Friday PM,1/15 received today, 1/23. Quick shipping and delivery! USPS MEDIA MAIL
Thanks, John
4tcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #24
convert 40

Smile Re: The new 1940 Ford Book is now available

My compliments to Mike
Love the book
Rick Rentschler
Napa, Ca.
convert 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
alt63bird

Talking Re: The new 1940 Ford Book is now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Hi ya guys,
In hopes of adding some clarification to inquiries I'd received:
This book covers domestic 1940 Ford passenger cars.
Although I'd received a few requests during the research stage for foreign built and / or destined '40 Fords, well, to include them would have added perhaps a couple of more years to the research. I'd made the decision to not do so.
There's always appendices and addendums

Having been involved in researching, writing and editing Original Factory Specification manuals and Concours/judging rules for Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l. over 3+ decades, I can relate to 'Kube' about when to say 'when' and what to focus on, along with the constraints of time, resources and budgets. I also like to see what others have done with similar efforts in order to learn what to do better, as well as improve my knowledge. I have a stripped-down-to-the-shell 'basket case' '40 Ford V8 Tudor (now going on my 42nd year of disassembled, non-running, parts-collecting ownership) and have had an original '40 Deluxe tudor and coupe that I disassembled back in the '80s (both I wish I could have held onto).

I gather anything I can to help me figure out how to put things back together. In high school in the mid-'70s I started with Ray Miller's "Ford Road" series of books on Early V-8s, '55-'66 T-birds, post-war-'50s Fords and early Mustangs, then moving on to parts books like the '28-'48 'Green Bible' and any book I could find at the bookstore, magazine article on the newsstand rack, parts catalogs from vendors, along with scouring swap meets for vintage factory literature. Since I had a copy of the Early Ford V8 Club's previous '40 book, I couldn't set my credit card to 'stun' fast enough to order this last weekend and compare them.

I received my copy of the new '40 Ford book a couple days ago. I got home from an all-nighter in the office around 3 in the morning and really needed to get a couple hours of sleep before going back in to work, but I couldn't wait to open it and see what was in there. I spent half an hour quickly thumbing through it before I had to say 'no mas' and finally call it a night. I've been going back and forth with it today to sum up my initial thoughts about it.

The format is very similar to the '40 Ford book that preceded it, organized by the major sections (Exterior, Interior, Chassis, Accessories), and it's certainly more voluminous with much more information than its predecessor. It certainly differs from the kinds of authenticity guides I've been accustomed to seeing for various years/makes like '55-'57 Chevys or Model 'A's, or put together for a limited body style/assembly plant car like the T-bird. It's not simply a listing of charts, tables with parts numbers, brief descriptions of what/when something was used, its finishes and detail photos. It's also a study that covers which manufacturers subcontracted to Ford to produce the parts, including references to documentation. It goes into written descriptions with more depth than I've been accustomed to producing. And it includes illustrations taken from parts books, installation instructions and other sources that help to tell the story of how it was intended to be assembled, as 'Kube' comments in his introduction.

One specific thing has been nagging me since 1980, when I first started tearing into that December 1939-built Mandarin Maroon '40 Deluxe tudor with hot air heater I mentioned above. I remembered finding some fine-ribbed, hollow rubber extrusions on top of the frame rails and wondered what they were for. Ever since I've been wanting to find replacements for them for the pending restoration on the April 1940 Kansas City-built V-8 Tudor I have torn apart and sitting in my storage building. Chapter 4-Chassis on pages 4-8 and 9 finally provided me with an answer about what those body anti-squeak extrusions were and where they were located. I can't believe it's taken 40+ years for me to find the answer about those. But I still haven't found a source for them.

A second thing that's been nagging me has been the cardboard liners for the trunk and cowls. I remember vividly these panels and their texturing. I had hoped to see some detail pictures of these in color, but what was in the book was a single black-and white photo of the cowl panel and some detail photos. I guess I was hoping for some more overall photos that were model-specific, but as I note at the beginning, I'm familiar with the limitations in printing a book like this and making choices as to what (or what not) to include in the final version. I can't find fault about what's in there, since it goes into depth on all the other parts and pieces that comprise these areas.

It's going to take some time to digest this work. I probably will have this on my side table to look through and take my mind off of my 'real world' job for some time to come. Thanks and kudos, 'Kube' - the wait was worth it.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
35+ year member, Crown Victoria Ass'n.
alt63bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #26
fortyfords

I ordered my copy on the 14th and the post office still hasn't sent it. Ugh
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #27
Larry

Been waiting for mine for over a week. I see it is out for delivery today. YA......... Can wait to get it.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #28
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I got mine last week and will enjoy reading it.Thanks Mike
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #29
rg130

Mike-
I received my copy the other day. Excellent in all aspects. Thanks for your time and effort in putting this book together.
rg130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #30
Kube

Guys, thanks for all of the kind thoughts. I truly appreciate them.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #31
fortyfords

I got my copy yesterday and I do want to give a lot of credit to the Early V8 Club for helping me on the arrival of the book. Very nice people and definitely dedicated to being an excellent club. I can't Thank Kube enough for taking the time to put the book together as I have already learned a lot more about my original coupe. This is my 4th 40 and finally some mysteries have been answered after buying my first 40 in 1964. Thanks again, Kube.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #32
draustinhealy

Being new to this forum, I must say that there are MANY great authors and contributors that offer wonderful advice and help here.

That being said, when I heard that Mr. Kubarth's book was being released, I ordered one.

Yesterday, after an exhausting day of work, I arrived home to find the book waiting for me at the front door. After pouring a glass of my favorite Kentucky bourbon, I sat down at the dining room table to read through it. I couldn't put it down! It contains an amazing amount of material with great detail. It is extremely well written, easy to follow and accurately relays his level of expertise for these cars. To me, the book is invaluable and is worth much more than the asking price.
In fact, working in higher ed, I have seen people receive their Doctorate that have not performed the level of research that Mr. Kubarth has done to complete his book. Therefore, if I had the authority, I would absolutely bestow an honorary degree for his level of expertise, craftsmanship and work specifically related to this vehicle. As such, THANK YOU, Dr. Kubarth! I truly appreciate your accomplishment with the book!
draustinhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:16 PM   #33
MuskegonFlatheadFan

I to have received my copy of this book, and I am very thankful.
Thank-You Mike for your passion of the 1940 Fords, and your dedication to document this information for many generations to come.
MuskegonFlatheadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #34
Fred A

I am using Kube's book as a reference, putting my '40 chassis together. One difficulty I find is the generous use of Ford parts numbers to describe fasteners with a general description. I sure could use the size, thread pitch, and length. Many of us already understand Fords use of fine threads for most applications with coarse thread into castings. Because there is such interest in '40s, would there not be a market for a compilation of the fasteners and their location on the car? Trying to do rite: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #35
nelsb01

Fred A:
Find yourself a Ford Chassis Parts Cataolgue
The back pages will have references to all Ford fasteners.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #36
Fred A

Just think of the time and effort that we could save if all or nearly all the fasteners that pertain to popular Fords rather than needing to plow through the Green Book. I have the 1938-1941 chassis book which may have fewer numbers. We now live in a world of Zinc plate and coarse threads at quarter inch increments that could be avoided with a well edited list. Good point nelsb01. It probably takes a bolt maniac to want to spend $20 for a proper list. Problem solved for those willing. Thanks: Fred A
Old 02-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #37
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
I am using Kube's book as a reference, putting my '40 chassis together. One difficulty I find is the generous use of Ford parts numbers to describe fasteners with a general description. I sure could use the size, thread pitch, and length. Many of us already understand Fords use of fine threads for most applications with coarse thread into castings. Because there is such interest in '40s, would there not be a market for a compilation of the fasteners and their location on the car? Trying to do rite: Fred A
Fred,
In the addendum at the rear of the book are complete charts that indicate exactly what you are seeking.
I went to additional effort to list ONLY those fasteners found on a '40 Ford passenger car.

And, unlike a parts book, the addendum lists the CONCOURSE CORRECT finishes. As a reminder to any serious restorer, parts books list parts that fit and function but are not necessarily correct.
This is OFTEN true in regard to fasteners.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:54 AM   #38
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred A View Post
Just think of the time and effort that we could save if all or nearly all the fasteners that pertain to popular Fords rather than needing to plow through the Green Book. Problem solved for those willing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Fred,
In the addendum at the rear of the book are complete charts that indicate exactly what you are seeking.
I went to additional effort to list ONLY those fasteners found on a '40 Ford passenger car.

And, unlike a parts book, the addendum lists the CONCOURSE CORRECT finishes.
This just serves as a testament to all of those adjectives and adverbs I threw-around back in post #7 in trying to describe not only this book, but particularly this Kubarth guy when he puts his mind toward a project....terms like "DeLuxe, craftsman, and well-thought-out" among others. Mike has really hit the mark on this one as it's not just your average "pretty picture" book. It's a treasure-trove of factual data backed-up with visual support as appropriate, which most of us mere mortals could never hope to accumulate accurately in a couple of lifetimes if we tried. Mr. Kubarth has created a carefully-edited assembly of so much of the most-important, yet obscure facts and piddly details that otherwise might leave some of us serious '40 Guys (and Gals) pulling some hair out. It's almost looking like Kube knocked this one out of the park! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #39
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Fred A:
Find yourself a Ford Chassis Parts Cataolgue
The back pages will have references to all Ford fasteners.
The back pages you refer to list some of the fasteners. Also, not necessarily the concourse correct fasteners.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #40
Fred A

Obviously I had not made my way to the addendum. I already knew that much more plating would have been needed for concourse correct fasteners. My thinking is that Ford used the best available for the job and using original bolts and special nuts with liberties taken with washers and plain nuts. With the further help form "the book", my car is going together with best original parts allowed by my budget. Luckily here in California quality fasteners from industry are widely available from surplus. Thanks again: Fred A