Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
jimTN

Default 34 on an open trailer

I am hauling a 34 sedan 100m+interstate miles on an open trailer. It is in good shape and has all the glass. Normally, would there be a danger in blowing out the top by the car facing forward or should it be loaded backward?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: 34 on an open trailer

Why would you blow out the top? What is different in towing the car than driving it? You should always tow a car facing forward so the heavy part (the engine) is at the front. Have too much weight rearward and you can get the dreaded tail wagging the dog scenario.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
gajeepguy

Be careful if you load a car backwards on an open trailer. If the trailer is a short wheelbase one, then you might not be able to obtain the correct 60/40 weight ratio. Most cars with engines are front heavy and therefore must be loaded front forward to be sure that 60% of the loaded weight is in front of the trailer's wheels. I speak from experience from my rookie trailering days.
gajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
trainguy

I have both closed and open trailers. My preference is open trailer. They are lighter there by tow much easier,safer in the wind,easier to load and tie down,much better fuel mileage.The only down side is the don't give the protection afforded by the closed trailer.
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

If you're worried about the front glass, then go get some 1" styrofoam board and cover the front windshield - all you'll need is some good duct tape (just ponder your paint). If there is a potential for the paint to come loose, then put blue masking tape underneath it and tape around the inside of the car - all the way across (side to side) and then onto the surface of the stuff (no tape on raw paint).

Send us a picture will yah!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
I have both closed and open trailers. My preference is open trailer. They are lighter there by tow much easier,safer in the wind,easier to load and tie down,much better fuel mileage.The only down side is the don't give the protection afforded by the closed trailer.
I second that. I have several closed trailers and an open one. Also a
lot of closed trailers are heavy on the front and have to be loaded
properly to reduce hitch weight. Don't use car covers on an open trailer
but you can wrap with heavy duty serran wrap pulled real tight. A cover
will rub the paint. G.M.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
jimTN

Thanks all, I have never had a problem with soft tops but was cautioned recently about this. I like GM's suggestion and just happen to have a role of serran wrap. I see no difference in towing a car at 70mph and driving one at that speed as far as the soft top, unless the top is in bad shape.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

The difference between driving and towing is the air buffeting coming off the towing vehicle, I watched this when my friends Packard was being towed on open trailer, driving the car at the same speed (65-75) caused no flapping of the top
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
David J

Are the floorboard , tranny cover , battery cover and floormat in place ? Any large holes in firewall or floor ?

IF being towed facing forward these things can cause increased pressure inside the body to possibly " blow out " the roof material .

This would be unlikely if the top is properly installed and in decent shape .

Towing a car backwards is no problem if you have a long enough trailer .

I towed a 34 4d home backwards as it was missing it's floorboard , tranny cover and windshield . No harm done and I am quite sure that would not have been the case if loaded facing forward .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Kerk

Smile Re: 34 on an open trailer

Weight foward is a must. I once loaded a Truck and could not get the weight heavy enough towards the front. Solution was to stop by a Stone wall and we loaded enough to weigh the front heavy enough. Towed fine at highway speeds for rest of trip! Lesson learned. kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
jimTN

It has floorboards with mats and no extra holes in the firewall, engine and trans are also in.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
Lawrie

If you are worried,why not wind the windows down.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #13
big job

After all what do I know?? I do know 33 & 34's are pretty much holy Grail's.. I'm
thinking couple hundred miles is no big deal doing 40mph so you know I hate the interstate . I been there hundreds of times with this. What you should do is pick
a "do nothing" free day and so what if it takes all day on secondary roads. All it takes
on the freeway is just one mishap like a flat & here comes state troopers or some other issue. Couple yrs ago I had a 54 F900 on the trailer and blew a air line: god
forbid I was not on the freeway because I would get towed put under the microscope
and take out a loan. I fixed that in a parking lot and walked to Napa. Old enough
now to know , anything can happen. My last interstate fiasco with a model T was
the wind blew the floorboards mat and all, never though of cement blocks so I'm a
just saying....sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #14
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
After all what do I know?? I do know 33 & 34's are pretty much holy Grail's.. I'm
thinking couple hundred miles is no big deal doing 40mph so you know I hate the interstate . I been there hundreds of times with this. What you should do is pick
a "do nothing" free day and so what if it takes all day on secondary roads. All it takes
on the freeway is just one mishap like a flat & here comes state troopers or some other issue. Couple yrs ago I had a 54 F900 on the trailer and blew a air line: god
forbid I was not on the freeway because I would get towed put under the microscope I'm a
just saying....sam
I concur, as a former OTR big truck operator, I saw too many mis-haps due to non commercial trailering. ( not that the pros always get it right ) To see someone standing on the side of the road, looking at was a dream turned into a nightmare always made me sick. Keep the speed down and life is a lot easier! SAFETY CHAINS ARE DESIGNED TO BE CROSSED IN AN X!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
David J

I wouldn't worry about it but I would make sure the windshield and cowl vent are closed and all windows are up . David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
It has floorboards with mats and no extra holes in the firewall, engine and trans are also in.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #16
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
I concur, as a former OTR big truck operator, I saw too many mis-haps due to non commercial trailering. ( not that the pros always get it right ) To see someone standing on the side of the road, looking at was a dream turned into a nightmare always made me sick. Keep the speed down and life is a lot easier! SAFETY CHAINS ARE DESIGNED TO BE CROSSED IN AN X!

Thanks for saying what I forgot to say. Keep the foot off the pedal. I ran
the big rigs on the highways for years and I don't have to tell you what
I see, not bad mouthing but come on 100,000lbs on the back and some
are drafting another trailer at 75mph with blocked view?? living on the
wild side i guess or a death wish?? Not only chains but you had better
have a break away cable and a good battery too.. A friend landscaper
with only lawnmowers (unlucky) a state cruiser behind on a back road
no break away; yep next wrecker in line. bad day. so its also local a
violation but usually local police are not into trucks and trailers I know
I'm a retired town cop that copped by night and trucked by day my focus
was house breaks and not stopping old ladies with a burnt bulb ..
Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #17
big job

Oh I found this picture 1950 F8 towed by F350 diesel the pickup did it
but no way the highway that was 300mi 7am to midnight but no
incidents....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150510_114931_resized.jpg (54.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #18
JM 35 Sedan

I've trailered early Fords with soft center of top construction (pre '37's) all over this country on open trailers and never had an issue with blowing out the tops. This included many miles on the Interstates doing the posted speed limits, and some times there were open windows on cars being trailered. If these tops had been in poor condition to begin with, maybe I would have had some problems.
My biggest concerns have always been with other cars and trucks and their crazy drivers. We had ice on roads all over our State yesterday morning, and hundreds of car and truck pileup's everywhere because many folks did not have enough sense to slow down and take it easy during bad weather conditions. Unfortunately it cost some of these folks their lives.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #19
rbullockv8

Wrapping with plastic wrap is a good idea, even for a hundred miles--especially if the paint is decent. I had a 34 Ford shipped from Wisconsin to California on an open trailer. It was an HD Pickup rig with diesel engine and a trailer capable of loading two vehicles. Mine was loaded facing rearward. The sedan did well overall, but the rain pelting it ruined the pinstriping like a pressure washer. Had to take it all off and redo. Many little pockmarks too. I wouldn't do that again without wrapping the whole car.