Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default The passing of Fred Carlton

This post is coming from his son and he is fulfilling one of his final wishes. Fred passed from this life today after a lengthy battle with cancer and wanted everyone to know how much he has enjoyed getting to know his Facebook friends. He started a Facebook Group called “Model AA Ford Truck Lovers” on March 29, 2014 and wanted you to know how much fun he had running the group. He proudly watched it grow to 2,472 members worldwide and it was his primary focus over the past couple of years since his retirement. It helped keep him sane while undergoing Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy.

Fred was a Life Member of the Dallas Model A Ford Club, founder and first President of the Lone Star Model A Ford Club, Life Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, charter member of the Ford Model AA Truck Club and served as Editor of The Restorer magazine for 12 years for the Model A Ford Club of America. He owned four Model AA’s and two Model A’s, one of which he bought 44 years ago.

He wanted me to be sure to let everyone know that he’ll say “Hi” to Henry Ford up there.

A memorial service will be held at Grace Episcopal Church at 1314 E University Ave. Georgetown, Texas at 10:00 am on Tuesday, December 20th 2016 followed by a reception at the Church. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be given to the Model A Ford Foundation in Fred’s memory online at www.maffi.org or by mail to Model A Ford Foundation, P.O. Box 28, Peotone, Illinois 60468-0028.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: The passing of Fred Carlton

It's sad to see another warior leave us. Our prayers go to Fred's family in this time of their loss. I looked forward to his FaceBook posts each and every day. He will be missed.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
MAG

Oh my! So very sorry to hear this news. Fred was another Model A'er that will certainly be missed. Thoughts and prayers for his family.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
TexasLS1

I'm sad to hear this news, but thank you for posting this. His Facebook posts were my favorite things to see and his page was one of the few reasons I stayed on FB. I haven't been on FB in about a month or more, so I would not have known he had passed.

My uncle passed away in Amarillo earlier this year, and it was rough on me. I've since started hanging around the Barn here to learn from you guys in hopes of one day getting my own Model A, and I found Fred's page on FB - he reminded me a lot of my uncle, being a wise, witty guy that you'd want to be around. We young guys need to soak up as much as we can from you older seasoned pros and keep the torch going.

Prayers and condolences to his family, I will miss him even though I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person.
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My condolences to his family and friends. He obviously loved our hobby and we have sustained another great loss. Rest in peace Fred knowing you made a difference. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-15-2016 at 11:16 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #6
henry's 31

Very sad to hear about the passing of another outstanding member of the Model A family. His love of the hobby and his dedication will always serve as an example to all of us that love the Model A. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sad news.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Randy

I did not know Fred for a long time, only got to know him after he was sick, but I had several visits with him and very much enjoyed seeing his contagious passion for Model As and things automobile related. He was entertaining and generous in sharing his knowledge. My prayers are with his family, he will be missed...
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Jeff/Illinois

I feel for his family. Cancer is a very tough thing, for everybody involved.
But, they ARE making headway on it maybe in 5 or 6 years we won't hear about it so much. I hope cancer goes the way of polio, that it can be eradicated. One big hurdle is, what works for one guy won't work for the next and etc. There are many different KINDS of cancer and a lot depends on your overall health.

The food we eat, the water we drink, and even the air we breathe are all laced with chemicals and carcinogens. You can't escape it.

RIP Fred.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

The man gave his life to our hobby and 8 people out of 79,000 Barners bid him farewell. A total shame as I see it. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
jimalabam

Being an old timer Model A'er, and living in Fort Worth, Texas for nine years while stationed in the Air Force, I came to know Fred as a personal Model A friend. I did not know of his passing, Thank you for posting the notice.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

I am sorry to hear of Fred's passing.
I wrote a couple of articles for the Restorer Magazine in the 1980s. Fred was the editor then. We corresponded a few times on the phone. He was very helpful. He did a great job as editor and contributed much to our hobby.
My best to his family.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote