Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Gene F

Default Crate Engine

Anyone on here ever buy a crate engine from RockAuto? My streetrod has a couple bent pushrods, and it sat for 10 years, so it needs umbrella seals, at a minimum. Thought I might consider just swappin it out. With the 3:73 gear, and the intake carb, and some other goodies I don't need to spend $5,000 to have a nice, and peppy rod.

About how was the price?

Advance sells ATK engines, but gosh, they are so dumb they can't even answer basic questions I have about the transaction.
By the way, the engine is that other brand...if ya know what I mean.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Crate Engine

Your location isn't shown.
Are you so far from a good local machine shop that the shipping charges aren't a concern?
Or does a high volume out-of-town shop have a lower engine price that makes up the difference???
(I'd rather spend money on nice parts instead of freight charges.)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #3
miker98038

Most of my buddies are running that “other” engine. The current GM crates just work, they’re not like the old “target” ( I think, been a while) motors that were cheap assemblies from south of the border. Go look at their site, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Or, Ford racing crates and do what’s right. Edit: can’t get the smiley emojis to post
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
ahshoe

I have purchased several crate engines from Gearhead out of Texas at 1-800 508-5999. 3 year warranty and transferable. Never had a problem and VERY reasonable!
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Gene F

S&J only wants $1,228 with a $400 core for a 4-bolt 350 GM long block. There is a fastenall with a forklift near my house... The thing even comes with breakin oil, and gaskets. Shipping is unavoidable. As far a machine shop...here's the deal, I only wanna do this once. They always wanna up sell ya. There is a NAPA here that has the machine shop. They really don't want this kinda work...more like brake rotors, broken bolts, press thing in and out, etc.

Every time I try to hire out some work I am disappointed. Anyone else have that problem? Just would rather buy a factory produced assembly, and be done with it.

Being in Columbus, Ohio this is big time Jegs country. Here's the thing, every engine they sell is horsepower, and the price starts leaping! They sell GM crate engines, but they mark em up. Besides, I drive my rod less than 1,000 miles per year. The accelerator is rarely on the floor. Spending a ton on a motor is just wasted money. My car is heavy, it's no race car.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
Gene F

Gearhead wants a phone call for a price. I hate that! What's the secret? Just seems sill to have a website, then send people to the telephone.

Last edited by Gene F; 10-23-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
ahshoe

That's because they have specific questions to ask you.I would always want to talk to a human than E-Mail and not know who is answering.They know their products and have a tech support staff that is great.Do what you want, just letting you know my experience and I purchase one for every vehicle I build now. Been quite a few.
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I bought a crate GM 350 a number of years ago. I looked at in state sales (Texas) and the tax plus the shipping was more than buying it through Summit at the time so I purchased through them. I don't know if they handle the GM factory 350 any more. Jeggs was a bit more expensive at the time. Any company that has an office in Texas would now subject me to sales tax but back then, Summit had the best price with shipping and no sales tax. Fastenall isn't bad for shipping less than a truckload freight but I like the heavy stuff to be delivered to my shop and they won't do that.

I love the internet but if I could save enough money by making a phone call then I'd be on the phone lickety split.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Dave Castle

I have had 3 GM crate engines, all failed in less than 2000 miles, just junk from Mexico ! Finally went old school & had a local machine shop build me a long block, still on the road years later !!!
Dave Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Question Re: Crate Engine

Who's supposed to be carding the front door?!?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Castle View Post
I have had 3 GM crate engines, all failed in less than 2000 miles, just junk from Mexico ! Finally went old school & had a local machine shop build me a long block, still on the road years later !!!
Mine wasn't that recent. It was junk from Detroit.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #12
Gene F

Ya know, I had heard that Mexico thing.. I guess I thought it was just talk.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #13
Gene F

AHSHOE, I agree, I'll always want to talk to a live body, but I just wanna get in the ballpark on prices first. I guess I always thing the website should do that for me.