Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #21
Tim Brown

Default Re: 1933 Drive Shaft Roller Bearing Removal

I was on a trip from California out thru Pueblo Colorado and back. While in Durango, that roller bearing failed. At a coffee shop in town, some local folks gave me the number of a guy that had EV8 cars and parts. Once I made contact with him, he crawled under a car that was sitting in the dirt on its brake drums, motor and trans were already missing. He fished an original ford bearing out of the torque tube end and it was covered in years of grease. We cleaned it up in the solvent tank, installed it in my 34 3w and were on the road again by lunchtime. Total cost? No charge. That Ford bearing, compared to the aftermarket bearing that failed, was way nicer. From now on I will always use an original bearing in that spot. We were proud of how fast we pulled that rear end and got it back together that day. Made it to Pueblo then back thru Salt Lake City and home to Colfax Ca. All that was about 12000 miles ago. The used bearing is still in there going strong!

Last edited by Tim Brown; 03-29-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Then I install a new seal making sure the lip is facing in the right direction. Then install the sleeve making sure the little dimple on the sleeve locks into position inside the torque tube.
John, What is the correct direction for the seal. I am assuming to keep the transmission lube out of the torque tube? My old seal was so bad I could not tell which way it was installed.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

The seal should be placed in front of TT so that lube can not get out of U joint & roller bearing area and back into TT. In other words the sharp edge of the lip should face forward towards the U joint/transmission.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
The seal should be placed in front of TT so that lube can not get out of U joint & roller bearing area and back into TT. In other words the sharp edge of the lip should face forward towards the U joint/transmission.
That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
Mr. Will

I have read where there is a issue with differential lube running down the torque tube and some have made a sheet metal dam at the end of the tube to prevent this. Is this something I should consider doing?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #26
WRA

Brought this thread back with a question. Anyone have a link to purchase the tool shown in the video, #A-309
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #27
Ramjet47

Has any one tried to remove a solid plain bush, non split type, forward drive shaft outer race from a 1937 Ford 5W Coup'e. This vehicle has a Canadian assembled chassis and running gear and was fitted with a body finished and assembled in New Zealand. I have tried to pull the bearing forward with a toggle type puller from behind the grease seal and at the same time, heating the drive shaft tube in the bearing area. I have also tried the big hammer on the drive shaft against a toggle across the rear of the forward grease seal, all to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited by Ramjet47; 06-15-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: I need to start this question as a new thread titled: 1937 drive shaft forward bearing removal
Ramjet47 is offline   Reply With Quote