Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Axtell85

Default 1950 Ford Custom 4# Radiator Cap

I had to replace my radiator as it couldn't be repaired. I got a JCG aluminum radiator but the original 4# radiator will not fit because it is about a quarter inch to tall. I can find 1" deep caps but I need a 3/4" deep 4# cap. Does anyone out there have a good Stant radiator cap number that will fit? I currently have a 7# cap so I can run the car to work on other issues but I don't to end up replace H2O pumps due to overpressure. I hate to have to pull the radiator and take it down to the shop to have a different filler neck put on it if I can find a short 3/4" deep radiator cap. Thanks in advance. I'm learning things the hard way on this restore.
Axtell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 1950 Ford Custom 4# Radiator Cap

I think you have a misconception regarding the dangers of overpressurizing. The water pumps are pretty stout, but it is the radiator itself that may not be sturdy enough to handle the pressure. Check with the manufacturer of your radiator for their recommendations on pressure caps.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Pat/Ohio

When I purchased my '50 Ford Custom Deluxe sedan, I noticed water leaking onto the garage floor. I checked the radiator cap and noticed it was too short. It wasn't sealing against the seat in the radiator neck. It was off to NAPA to purchase another cap. I was told that there were two different caps available....one was longer than the other. I purchased the longer 4# cap and that stopped the anti-freeze escaping through the overflow tube onto the floor. You should be able to locate the correct radiator cap for your car. Check at NAPA or with Chris at Shoebox Central.

Stay Safe,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The F1 used a 4 psi radiator cap, so don't think water pumps were an issue, at least not with the 8ba.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
tubman

If sounds like the folks who make the radiator intended it to be used with a 7 lb cap; otherwise, why would it be designed to use one? If this is the case, it is a benefit. Under normal conditions, there is no difference whether you have a 4 lb or 7 lb cap. Only in the case of an overheating condition will the 7 lb cap come into play, and it will only raise the boiling point of the coolant, giving you an extra margin of time to get off the road. As a couple of posters have said, the water pumps are "pretty stout" and not a problem in this instance.

If it were mine, I'd leave the 7 lb cap.

Last edited by tubman; 09-02-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Posted before my morning coffee
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
19Fordy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The 7 pound cap will be fine and will not effect your pumps.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote