Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #21
mark180

Default Re: Shop ruined my '48 radiator tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I really worry about the future of our hobby as the skilled tradesman shuffle off over time.
With the aid of some of my old friends my 26 year old son is building up a 1930 Austin 7 special. Its taking a while because they are making him do everything. Every component is being rebuild even if not required - essentially they are teaching him how to maintain the car himself for the rest of his life because they worry no one else will be able to do it for him -Karl
That sounds so cool!!! We need more of that going on!😁
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
That's fantastic! I'm 36 and I've learned if I want something done right I'd better do it myself. Even if that means learning and doing it a few times to have it come out right. Unfortunately that expands beyond cars, it's really a life lesson.

I've got some sad news for you: Wait until you're too old to climb ladders and crawl under houses and wrestle refrigerators up 18 stairs and dig drainage trenches and build rock walls and replace heating ducts and pour concrete and re-roof houses and build additions and remodel kitchens and... Now and forevermore have to compromise and accept shoddy workmanship and unacceptable performance from those who consider you an old fool trying to micromanage everything and everybody.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:25 PM   #23
russcc

If you are in Mass. there is still a good radiator shop in Orleans MA, run by Dan Guertin, (Starfish Radiator). He built the radiator for the Model A annd the Hot Rod by using original Ford tanks and new cores. He well know for radiator restoration and gets work from as far away as VA.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote