Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Nabco

Default Fun at a Car Show Today

A local bar had their fall car show today, pretty good turn out, about 120 cars, everything from rat rods, hot rods and even a legit 69 426 hemi Barracuda (not a tribute car).

Of all the cars there we were the only Model A and my wife and I went out of our way to put some smiles on the faces of the kids checking her out. We probably had 15 kids sitting in the car, jumping in the rumble seat and having their parents and grandparents taking their pictures. The kids loved it and the adults were grateful, hopefully we cultivated some interest in the hobby.

Nick

Last edited by Nabco; 09-11-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Nabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:57 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Fun at a Car Show Today

Hi Nick,

No doubt you did create interest in older cars, and especially sharing respect with alert young minds.

Many small kids can be found to be so very sensitive to aesthetics and fine art, colors, shapes and designs ..... just ask them .....

The delicate proportions and lines created by extremely sensitive auto body designers and "all" designers during the 1920's & early 1930's show us today that they were truly master creators of art forms such as we see in our Model As.

Thanks for sharing your trying to show kindness to others .....
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You did a god job and I share your values. Too many in our group do not want a child or anyone else even touching their car. They forget it is just a car. Congratulations my friend! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 AM   #4
cradlescyth

Hi Nick

Great job letting kids get to know Model A's

This is mygoal at cruse nights.
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have a press camera, fedora and even a Tommy Gun I allow the kids to hold when the parents take pictures.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:01 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I have a press camera, fedora and even a Tommy Gun I allow the kids to hold when the parents take pictures.
You are indeed a credit to our hobby! Keep up the fantastic work my friend ! Wayne
Old 09-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
Synchro909

Cultivating an interest in our cars is about the only way to ensure their future, I figure. Well done.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Nick,

No doubt you did create interest in older cars, and especially sharing respect with alert young minds.

Many small kids can be found to be so very sensitive to aesthetics and fine art, colors, shapes and designs ..... just ask them .....

The delicate proportions and lines created by extremely sensitive auto body designers and "all" designers during the 1920's & early 1930's show us today that they were truly master creators of art forms such as we see in our Model As.

Thanks for sharing your trying to show kindness to others .....
Remember the Tiger Woods commercials for Buick and the designs they touted from long ago when those commercials came out a few years back?

I see tons of shoe box or bar soap examples of modern auto design these days. I don't see any particular style that strikes me as to being original or enticing. Instead the focus seems to be on the amenities and gadgets. For the most part I see only cookie cutter-styled cars on the roads these days.
It is even more prevalent in the design of trucks.

I have gone to several local car shows and swap meets lately, but I can count the amount of stock Model A's without using all my fingers and toes. I can also say that most of those which i have seen usually had a sign that read "Look but don't touch." When I had my tudor in the past, when my youngest daughter was in her early teens, I can still remember how thrilled she was to show off that big steering wheel or to honk that wonderful ahooga horn. She loved getting others to sit in our car and enjoy what it felt like. Heck, I can even remember allowing her to stand on the running board as we drove down a country lane so she could experience what tons of folk did when these cars were common place on the roads of the times.

When I was at my last event this past weekend, I remember looking behind the cars there and noting that virtually none of the owners were beside their car and actively telling stories as to how they bought their car or what the differences were between them or modern cars. In fact, most were sitting in lawn chairs and looking a bit put off by their boredom. I saw several of those signs in the cars there, too. I didn't see many kids actively showing off the cars of their parents and it made me wonder at the time if kids were losing interest in the sport? I can understand wanting to protect a vintage car from abuse, but that is not really what i was addressing. To me, I just wonder if this sport has failed to capture the youth interest and involvement?

I also began to notice in the shows that I attended, that most of the vintage auto owners are in my own age category (late 60-early 70's), most especially those who own Model A's. It is sort of sad, as the original owners have mostly passed away and the present ones will likely be in that same category before all that many years. I am wondering if our youth will pick up and carry on or if eventually the interest will just fizzle out?

When I was at a local show in Shawnee, Ok., I did have a young kid of about 10 notice that I was shooting photos of his Dad's beater truck and the Model A next to it. He came over and told me all about that truck and the club they were involved in. He was every bit as proud of that old beater as anyone with a high points Model A could ever be. He reminded me of when my daughter was about his age and so thrilled to talk about our tudor at the time at the car shows we attended. I asked him to get into the truck and let me take a picture of him. It made his day and it also made mine just for the memories. :-)

We really need kids to be involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9840.jpg (117.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9849.jpg (109.2 KB, 61 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #9
ronn

120 cars is a nice turnout!

glad you had fun and showed off your A..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Maybe that's why a kid jumped in my Lucy yesterday at a car show on his own accord. He scratched the apron on the way in...I guess if others let a free for all go on it makes it okay for every car on the show field.. There are civil ways to take interest in these old cars with respect, dignity, conversation.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Maybe that's why a kid jumped in my Lucy yesterday at a car show on his own accord. He scratched the apron on the way in...I guess if others let a free for all go on it makes it okay for every car on the show field.. There are civil ways to take interest in these old cars with respect, dignity, conversation.
And Get the Hell of my lawnPete ( Yea me again,I'm Dickhead)
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
prpmmp

Hey Ryan!! Mitch is off his meds again!! (In honor of 3WLarry) Pete
Old 09-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
russcochiolo

Every coin has to sides!

It is your car......do it your way!

My roadster is a driver. When I take BLUULU to an event it is with the intention of sharing her and my knowledge (still learning) with visitors. I seldom leave her alone. I do expect to have the big and little folks ask before fondling her. I fully appreciate the effort put into a near perfect car and understand "Look, but don't touch". Im glad that they are there.

What I have trouble with is the lack of getting involved with the visiting public. How else do we get them to take the next step and join us? Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (55.4 KB, 52 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
Nabco

It was quite obvious that the adults had told their kids to be respectful of the cars and not to touch. Even when I said it was OK to get in the kids were hesitant and always looked to the adults for approval before doing anything.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
captndan

A car full of hot chicks is one thing but a pack of snotty nosed minions is quite another. I don't mind yelling at anyone to get off my grass.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #16
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
A car full of hot chicks is one thing but a pack of snotty nosed minions is quite another. I don't mind yelling at anyone to get off my grass.
I agree 100%, I love both kids and hot chicks but hot chicks are the priority at my age unless the hot chick has a kid then I'll take the kid along too or give the kid a dime to go to the movies............

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #17
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcochiolo View Post
Every coin has to sides!

It is your car......do it your way!

My roadster is a driver. When I take BLUULU to an event it is with the intention of sharing her and my knowledge (still learning) with visitors
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go where you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #18
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
I agree 100%, I love both kids and hot chicks but hot chicks are the priority at my age unless the hot chick has a kid then I'll take the kid along too or give the kid a dime to go to the movies............
Man you guys are a bunch of male Chauvinist!! I like it Pete ( had to google how to spell Chauvinist)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Maybe they should have a section cordoned off with a sign that says these are twenty foot cars so please don't come any closer. A sign for the other section that says children accompanied by parents always welcome or ask the owner who is willing to show and explain this antique car.
I personally think the good will embassadors. are the future if our hobby! Wayne
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
BILL WILLIAMSON

A sign on Minervas' window: "YES, YOU CAN TOUCH MY CAR & IF YOU EVER "MADE OUT" IN A MODEL A, SIT IN IT & SEE IF YOU CAN REMEMBER HER NAME"???
Bill Fun