Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Default Some more changes, I hope I will stop after this.

Its seems a never ending addiction with making changes. But I have to admit, its much better performance with the new Stromberg 97, Reds tube headers and Ansen intake manifold.

Last edited by 1929; 06-02-2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: pictures
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Some more changes, I hope I will stop after this.

photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6020004.jpg (62.3 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg P6020005.jpg (64.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg P6020006.jpg (53.9 KB, 159 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
midgetracer

How did you mount the heater manifold with the header? Also it appears that you have no fuel pump. Does this setup work without a fuel pump and a low gas tank. I have tried using a similar setup and I could not make it run at full speed without a fuel pump. It just started bucking at full load although it idled very well. A fuel pump solved all the problems.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
How did you mount the heater manifold with the header? Also it appears that you have no fuel pump. Does this setup work without a fuel pump and a low gas tank. I have tried using a similar setup and I could not make it run at full speed without a fuel pump. It just started bucking at full load although it idled very well. A fuel pump solved all the problems.
I had to get longer ARP studs, I then put the Reds Headers on, and installed the Ansen over the header. The Stromberg inlet banjo 9082k is a little lower then the height of the glass bowl, so that's how I get a good flow without the need for a fuel pump.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
emf

I found that my downdrafts would run OK without a pump, but they did not like it. The carbs ran well, but not as expected. A pump solved the problem. The lower the head pressure from the tank, the less performance I got. Since I have a B engine, a pump was no problem, but for an A, you'll need an in-line electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2738a.jpg (121.0 KB, 95 views)
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

Add a little more compression and you will be even happier. I like the Winfield 6:1 head better than some of the others.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Add a little more compression and you will be even happier. I like the Winfield 6:1 head better than some of the others.
I forgot, that is another thing I was planning, to have a local Hot Rod shop mill the 6:1 head I have, and, I still have to get a Mallory distributor.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Keep the changes up and you'll end up with a 2016 mustang.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

When it comes to high performance your never done playing till u Grenade the motor, then u get to start over again...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-04-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Chuck Sea/Tac

Cool Re: Some more changes, I hope I will stop after this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
When it comes to high performance your never done playing till u scatter the motor, then u get to start over again...
Ain't that the truth! Apparently from some of the posts on here,it's not much different with a pretty much stock engine.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #11
PC/SR

Mitch is right in some respects. You can blow an engine, any engine, if you go beyond its limitations. However, in an A, it is hard to blow it if you construct it right and know its limitations.
Getting into speed is an addiction and I caught it. Decide what you want to do with your car. Racing performance is very different than a high performance stock engine. The old saw is Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? And decide what type of racing, and/or driving, you want to do, and the driving compromises you want to make.
You have a nice set up for a bit more driving performance. It is not a racer, hate to be a bummer, but it will beat most of your stock buddies. However,you can make a good compromise engine you can race and drive.
If you have really caught the addiction for speed, and I know what that is, it is going to take time, money and most important knowledge. Disregard most of what you hear from your "expert" pals and learn it all your self. Study books, even a few websites that are informed(most are not). Absolutely get Jim Brierely's book (his above comment will give you contact info, $24 for his book). if you have the performance addiction start from there. If you really want to get into it, it is unending, but really fun to play with. (Head, cam, carbs, tires, wheels, lifters, valves, ports, etc, etc.) But do not forget what JB says about brakes and suspension.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote