Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Mr. Will

Default Rear Axle Seal in Bell

Anyone have any seggestions as to how to replace the axle seal in the end of the bell. I was thinking of using the axle to slide the seal in place then use a piece of tubing slightly smaller to the seal to drive it in.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Rear Axle Seal in Bell

Do you have the old seals out of the axle housing bells yet? To me, that was more difficult than putting the new seals in place. I can take some pics of the tools I made to remove and replace these seals and post them here. They are nothing fancy, but they get the job done.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Bratton's Model A place (A has same seal) sells a nifty and cheap ($7) tool that you just screw onto a length of pipe...but if you look at it, you will probably get the idea that a fairly simple stack of washers or such on a threaded rod could be whipped up to do the job. Original KRW tool is just a long rod with a pointed end that slides into seal and a flange to drive it.

Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Do you have the old seals out of the axle housing bells yet? To me, that was more difficult than putting the new seals in place. I can take some pics of the tools I made to remove and replace these seals and post them here. They are nothing fancy, but they get the job done.
John, I have not yet removed the old seals. I can barely see them and was not sure if they were felt or, leather or, just what they were or, if I should even attempt to replace them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Bratton's Model A place (A has same seal) sells a nifty and cheap ($7) tool that you just screw onto a length of pipe...but if you look at it, you will probably get the idea that a fairly simple stack of washers or such on a threaded rod could be whipped up to do the job. Original KRW tool is just a long rod with a pointed end that slides into seal and a flange to drive it.

Bruce, Looks like I could make that up pretty easy. Thanks
Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Removal...a long screwdriver stuck into the hole at end of axle housing diagonally will usually snag the deceased seal and allow you to tap it out.
Reinstalling once you have a suitable tool is easier than it might look as the recess for the seal guides it into place. Seal is leather or rubber lip in a steel shell.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Removal...a long screwdriver stuck into the hole at end of axle housing diagonally will usually snag the deceased seal and allow you to tap it out.
Reinstalling once you have a suitable tool is easier than it might look as the recess for the seal guides it into place. Seal is leather or rubber lip in a steel shell.
Bruce, That is what I had in plan but I was not sure if the shell was steel. I didn't want to start on it until I had a better idea what I was dealing with. Just finished up lunch and headed for the shop now. Will report back with my results.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Good you finished lunch. Your hands will smell like a dead whale for about a week after messing with the 140 weight!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Will View Post
John, I have not yet removed the old seals. I can barely see them and was not sure if they were felt or, leather or, just what they were or, if I should even attempt to replace them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Okay Mr Will, I am having some difficulty posting pictures from my Tablet right now. I will post this first then try to attach pictures later.

Here are some pics of the tools that I use to remove and install those seals. The long screwdriver and piece of round stock are used to remove the seal. The tool used to insert the seals is a pusher plug machined from aluminum bar stock that's mounted to a piece of 1/2" dia. bar with a section of 1/2" all thread on the back of the bar when additional length is needed for putting that same seal in the front of the torque tube. I have two new seals in the pictures so you can see what they look like.

hopefully pics will appear hear in a little while
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140523_163503.jpg (48.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20140523_163603.jpg (40.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20140523_163626.jpg (39.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20140523_164227.jpg (39.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20140523_164313.jpg (42.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20140523_163341.jpg (60.5 KB, 44 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Mr. Will

John, thanks for the pics. I did get the old seals out with a long screw driver. They came out in 4-pieces. I decided to take the bells down and put them in the hot tank over night and will pic them up in the morning. I made up a seal driver out of a piece of 3/4" black iron pipe and a 1'X3/4" bell. The seal shell measures 1.834 and I sanded the bell down to 1.810 so it should work just fine. I will put the seal in place with the pipe and then use a piece of tubing to hold the seal in place and pull the pipe out then install the bell on the end of the pipe and drive the seal into place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Axle Seals.jpg (95.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Axle Seal & Driver 1.jpg (61.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Axle Seal & Driver 2.jpg (54.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Axle Seal & Driver 3.jpg (65.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Axle Seal & Driver Tubing.jpg (43.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Mr. Will

Quote:
The tool used to insert the seals is a pusher plug machined from aluminum bar stock that's mounted to a piece of 1/2" dia. bar with a section of 1/2" all thread on the back of the bar when additional length is needed for putting that same seal in the front of the torque tube.
So there is a seal in the torque tube as well. can you explain where that is that will be another challenge.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
malpais

I use a length of pic pipe to remove these seals. Didnt hammer on it - just kept kept sliding (driving) seal with it.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by malpais View Post
I use a length of pic pipe to remove these seals. Didnt hammer on it - just kept kept sliding (driving) seal with it.
What is pic pipe?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Will View Post
So there is a seal in the torque tube as well. can you explain where that is that will be another challenge.
Yes, there is another seal (same pn as used in axle housing) in the front of the torque tube. I usually replace all three of these seals at the same time. What I should have said in my earlier post is...I use that 1/2" all thread extension to lengthen the pusher enough to remove the seal and an outer bearing sleeve, that's in the front of the torque tube, at the same time by coming in from the back/banjo end of the torque tube. This brings that outer bearing sleeve out without damaging it. I like to reuse those old bearing sleeves because the replacements being sold today are mostly junk.
Note: to do the above, the outer diameter of the aluminum pusher plug (or whatever you use) must be small enough to pass through the seal locating flange that's inside the front of the torque tube.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 05-24-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #15
malpais

I meant "PVC" but I was thinking of the seal in the torque tube. Shouldn't read and reply late at night.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Mr. Will

Quote:
Yes, there is another seal (same pn as used in axle housing) in the front of the torque tube. I usually replace all three of these seals at the same time. What I should have said in my earlier post is...I use that 1/2" all thread extension to lengthen the pusher enough to remove the seal and an outer bearing sleeve, that's in the front of the torque tube, at the same time by coming in from the back/banjo end of the torque tube. This brings that outer bearing sleeve out without damaging it. I like to reuse those old bearing sleeves because the replacements being sold today are mostly junk.
Note: to do the above, the outer diameter of the aluminum pusher plug (or whatever you use) must be small enough to pass through the seal locating flange that's inside the front of the torque tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malpais View Post
I meant "PVC" but I was thinking of the seal in the torque tube. Shouldn't read and reply late at night.
Thanks for the heads up on this I will check it out.