Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
oldford2

Default shipping an engine

Does anyone have first hand knowledge on shipping a complete engine? Crate? cradle on a pallet? cost? Carb, distributor, bolt-ons could go separate. Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Andy

Default Re: shipping an engine

I have shipped a few. I make a pallet so a fork lift can handle it and then I crate it so it is enclosed and protected. I used some plywood and deck screws. I have not had any bad feeds back. Make it like you expected another engine to be set on top of it. I used EngineShipping .com They were very professional and very reasonable.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
roadster36
BANNED

I totally agree with Andy. I used EngineShippers as well on several occasions. They delivered on time and at 1/3 the cost of the other carriers. They picked up and dropped off but it is cheaper if you have them deliver to a loading dock. Walt Dupont loaded my complete flathead on a pallet and it was picked up and delivered to my shop without any problems. You can also try Fastenal for shipping. You have to drop you item off at one of their stores and pick it up there as well but their rates are the cheapest around.- Dennis
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Mike in Mass

I just sold a flathead ,going to Swedan .I put in on a oak pallet .spent 30 bucks at homey depot on screws, braided ratchet straps and some metal banding . set it up so it was sittin nice,, wood blocking under the front and around the sides ,kept blocking till I got to the water pumps, bolted them down with lags . took all the goodies off the top and put masonite block-off plates over all the holes so no critters/stowaways could climb in.. sucked it down with the ratchet straps . major overkill so it wouldn,t move , charged him 50 bucks extra to put it on a pallet ,should have got 100 , took me close to 3 hours in my driveway .big truck came an off it went ! . "Damit Jim , I,m a bricklayer ! not a doctor !,,,I mean carpenter !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster36 View Post
I totally agree with Andy. I used EngineShippers as well on several occasions. They delivered on time and at 1/3 the cost of the other carriers. They picked up and dropped off but it is cheaper if you have them deliver to a loading dock. Walt Dupont loaded my complete flathead on a pallet and it was picked up and delivered to my shop without any problems. You can also try Fastenal for shipping. You have to drop you item off at one of their stores and pick it up there as well but their rates are the cheapest around.- Dennis
Not all Fastenal locations have a forklift so check with them to make sure. And not all locations are familiar with shipping procedures but once you get hold of someone who knows the drill things go better and you can't beat the price. IMO.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
BILL WZOREK

Mike what shipper did you use?
Did you have to use a broker ( any Broker Fees ? )

THANKS
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Kube

I too have shipped many engines. I prefer to build a small crate atop the pallet to protect the contents. However, you can ship the engine simply secured to a pallet with shrink wrap applied.
Regardless, it must be secured to a pallet.
Any shipping company can easily handle this move. I use ABF Freight as they have a terminal near me and the gals in the office are always very pleasant and helpful.
Category is important when determining fees. I typically choose "used engine". If you choose new or rebuilt, the cost goes up to ship.
The representative at the trucking company you utilize can help you with this.
Of course, distance dictates price as well as city. Places like New York (city) are more costly than some town out in the "sticks".
Delivery to a home address without a fork truck can be a bit more costly as well as the trucking company must supply these services.
If there is a terminal near your buyer, that is always a cheaper way to go. It doesn't have to be the same company that shipped it - they will deliver it to a "competitors" terminal should you so desire.
I do not charge to build a crate but do charge for the materials. It takes about an hour to build the crate and maybe $20 or so in lumber.
Shipping fees have ranged between $250 and $375 in the states. One engine went to Australia, that was about $600. That one too was shipped through ABF.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
oldford2

Very good info on shipping an engine. Thanks to all that had an input.
John
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Fibber Mcgee

I can give you first hand knowledge as I work for a freight company. You want it on a pallet because even if it doesn't have a pallet it WILL be moved with a forklift. You also want a STURDY crate around it as it WILL be stacked on. Also if you can make it a sturdy crate and then put a sacrificial non flat (pyramid shaped) top on it that will help prevent it from being stacked on. Also if you can find a chep pallet ( thick pallet painted blue usually) you stand a better chance of it surviving and definitely make sure it is secured to the pallet.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
oldford2

Thanks again. Another thread to print out and put in my Ford "how to do" file
Old 05-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Mike in Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
Mike what shipper did you use?
Did you have to use a broker ( any Broker Fees ? )

THANKS
R&L Carriers out of New Bedford ,Mass . the buyer handled everything . I told him I would ship it to"the end of my driveway '! ,18 wheeler had a liftgate and a forktruck . I did have to print out a packing slip that was e-mailed to me . Fibber Mcgee ,I didn,t even think about it getting stacked on,,building legs an putting another pallet on top ,,,NEXT TIME !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #12
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Mass View Post
R&L Carriers out of New Bedford ,Mass . the buyer handled everything . I told him I would ship it to"the end of my driveway '! ,18 wheeler had a liftgate and a forktruck . I did have to print out a packing slip that was e-mailed to me . Fibber Mcgee ,I didn,t even think about it getting stacked on,,building legs an putting another pallet on top ,,,NEXT TIME !
I see engines come through every day and the worst problem is usually not attaching it to the pallet well enough. If it's not very securely attached it will roll off when it gets bumped around and that's when things break. I tell people to put something " sacrificial" on top because someone will still try to stack on it but you stand a better chance of the important stuff surviving. Ship it like you plan on it getting dropped.