Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Neal

Default Re: another winning Ebay listing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
OK, The battery is "SAFE" where it sits !!..
O.K., I will bite. What is wrong with the battery under the hood? I will surely pass that information on as well.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Paul, understood, my point is there is a buyer for everything.
why keep pummeling every listing?

reminds me of going to a show and an "authority" walks around finding every measley point of wrong about a car and letting everyone know how "brilliant" he is..... why not say "good" things about a car instead of ripping everyone's car to the ground?

I guess I don't see the point of these posts.

Your point is VERY valid. It used to be that both MARC & MAFCA was about the promotion of Model-A ownership with 'performing restorations on the 1928-1931 Ford Model-A as originally produced'. Also, the modern-era Fordbarn was also stated to be about discussing topics regarding proper Restoration ( :the act of returning something to its former condition.).

Just like so many other things in this country, people did not want to conform to the established rules so they bucked the system and blatantly broke the rules all-the-while condemning those who pointed out those rules. Now, just like both clubs (whose membership is in decline), it seemingly is fair game to discuss (i.e: bash) someone else's Model-A here and talk about any type of Model-A project. The key is you just cannot bash the person, --nor get into an argument with them -or about them personally. Therefore, if it is now fair-game to bash the Purist's projects and the Non-Purist's cars, ...then why shouldn't this eBay car be allowed too?

The way I guess I understand (i.e.: rationalize) it here now, is Fordbarn is about everything that makes up the Model-A experience. Some enjoy working on Model-A's, ...some just enjoy driving Model-A's, ...and some just enjoy discussing Model-As, --such as discussing Model-A's that are listed on eBay. The way I understand it here now, ...everyone should be tolerant of ALL other Model-A hobbyists and their opinions, ...no matter if you agree with what they enjoy or not.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #23
Veger

I Love everything about my old car Every wrong nut and bolt, the metal somebody put on top screwed down that I had to paint black so it fits in. Its noisy but don't leak. My car shakes rattles and Rolls down the road very nice and fine cept the shimmy in the front end lol. It really does KILL me to pull out a OLD bent rusty nail and replace it with a Factory standard cotter pin LOL GoFigure. Just feels like I lost a bit of its Character.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aasnow002.jpg (65.5 KB, 10 views)
Veger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #24
BlueSunoco

I've often wondered, if MAFCA and MARC have long ago topped out and will continue to decline? Seems like MAFCA is holding their own, but is that because they count spouses in the membership? Have they always? I don't know guess it doesn't matter.

I guess the bad part of trashing somebody's A is that here it deteriorates pretty fast and gets personal! Some of the best posters on her have gone away and you never hear from them anymore. Then we all lose.......
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #25
montanafordman

I don't think there was ever any intent to just knock somebody's model A. When something is for sale I don't see any problem in discussing what is right, or what is not as far as a "correct" model a, or discussing obvious mechanical or safety issues that are in need of repair, correcting, adjusting or whatever. That in itself is constructive in my opinion and helps us all become better informed whether we are buying or selling a model A and might even help us identify things to make our car better.

There were also obvious misrepresentations in the ad on what the seller thought of the details. I suspect most of this was out of ignorance but he also naturally wants to talk up the merits for a sale that will benefit him (understandable). But if you're going to sell a car you better have the facts straight and be ready for potential sellers to speak their mind on what THEY think the value is to THEM. If the buyer and seller don't agree and cant convince each other? fine. They buyer will look elsewhere and the seller will have to try harder with someone else. Maybe both will become more informed in the process.

If you are afraid of getting butt hurt about what others say your model A is, or what you or a family member has done to it, then keep it in your garage and don't show it or sell it.

Personally I enjoy comments and feedback on my car, good or bad. Sometimes it helps me address issues, and other times if it doesn't affect safety or reliability, and I'm happy with the way it looks - I'll just dismiss the comment because what matters to ME is the most important part.

Just to reiterate....*I want to emphasize ESPECIALLY when something is for sale you can expect critical remarks regarding said car.* Its not like just walking up to someone and saying this, this, and this, is all wrong. That's worn and ugly, etc. Sure that would be rude and uncalled for unless the person was really asking for an honest opinion and critical remarks.

Last edited by montanafordman; 05-05-2014 at 03:28 PM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #26
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
O.K., I will bite. What is wrong with the battery under the hood? I will surely pass that information on as well.

Neal
It gets in the way, while working on the coil !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote