Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
fordfun

Default Radius Rods fitting - again

Well today's activity probably falls under the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. I've just rebuilt the rear brakes on my 1929 Sport Coupe, and thought it would be a good time to replace the bent-up radius rods that came on the car. I bought a good replacement set (used) from Bert's a while ago, and they look great next to the ones I pulled off. (see photos)

I attached the new ones to the brake plate assemblies on the car, and found that the inboard ends extended 1/8" to 3/16" too far forward to attach. After a great deal of persuasion (c-clamps, etc.), I got the driver's side on, but so far I have been unable to line up the passenger-side rod. My clamps just won't push the rod back far enough to take the bolt.

At this point I'm wondering whether I should 1) Try enlarging (slotting) the forward hole of the rod not yet installed (if that's possible with common tools such as files, etc.; 2) Re-install the old rod on the passenger side; or 3} Re-install the old rods on both sides.

I suspect that some of the wrenching I did to get the driver's side rod in place may have affected the fit on the passenger side, so the old rod may not want to go back in easily unless I remove the new rod.

I've seen suggestions mentioned in others threads on this subject that include using a smaller diameter bolt in the forward fitting, cutting and welding the rods, etc. Slotting the hole seems like it might be easier, unless there's a problem with doing this.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have on the proper course of action.

Thanks - Bill

[/LIST]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old rods 001.jpg (34.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg old rods 002.jpg (34.8 KB, 62 views)
fordfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
machine girl

Default Re: Radius Rods fitting - again

leave the bolts in the rear loose, now the front bolt should fit. start tightening everything down. check the tube should be 51 inches long.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Joe K

You sure you don't want to sell those "old" rods? They don't seem too bad to me. A large vise and a 4' piece of 1-1/2" pipe with a tee on the end can straighten a radius rod QUITE nicely.

I have a 1930 rod which is rusted out. This seems to be the more common failure mechanism.

Back to your issue. I might try unbolting the backing plates on both side, and then loosely assemble EVERYTHING. Then try pulling everything in one bolt at a time.

There is not that much variation in the radius rods. And I suspect only "accumulated errors" (and those you introduced yourself during getting one side in place) may be keeping the other one from going in too.

Get yourself back to a point where the errors can "re-distribute" themselves - and then go forward.

(PS. I am looking for a set of 28-29 rods to complete a rear axle I'm assembling from pieces and from which the 30 rod was taken. I have contacted one of the Classified sellers but he may not be checking his inbox that often? His loss may be your gain?)

Joe K
Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
fordfun

Guys - I should have mentioned that I did leave all of the bolts loose while attempting to fit the rod, and still couldn't get it to make up. I'm wondering, based on the twisted old rods, whether an accident cause an alignment problem that's fighting me.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
machine girl

is the tube 51 inches, is your car all stock? measure the rods center of forward hole to center of each back hole. will try to help.
machine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
fordfun

I'll measure the hole distance tomorrow morning. We're looking for about an 1/8" difference so that will be a challenge, particularly with the distorted geometry of the old rods. This is the reason I held off attempting to straighten those rods. I was concerned that I'd end up with straighter rods that didn't fit at all due to stretched metal.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
fordfun

Success!!
This afternoon I began to wonder whether might be some "polarity" (RH & LH) to these radius rods. After consulting the references I have (Andrews, Service Bulletins, etc.) and finding no mention of that and no good photo of the radius rod attachment, I found the attached photo that shows the curved finger of the rod attaching to the upper bolt.( I'm sorry that I don't recall who posted it, but it certainly helped me out.) When I proceeded to mount the rods in that orientation, they went right in.

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions. They helped when I finally got the orientation correct.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF BK back.jpg (79.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
SteveB31

Joe K.....

We have more radius rods if you need a single or a pair. We have about 150 pair. Not pricy.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote