Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
170A

Default E.a. Laboratories wiper

I bought a E.A. Laboratories wiper some time ago and I find it does not have the on-off switch built in. The case is grey and the blade attachment is a spring loaded wire with the usual "U" shaped blade attachment. Is this for A closed car Model A? If so what type of switch was used to actuate it? Every thing I have read on the wiper motors show a built in switch. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you
170A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: E.a. Laboratories wiper

It is a later aftermarket replacement wiper. My 29 Tudor came with a similar one, except mine is red and has a switch.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
DBF 30

Hi, I also purchased a E.A. Laboratories wiper on e-bay. Going to use in for my roadster. The gentleman I bought it from said that there is not on/off switch. You will have to wire one into the lead to the wiper body. A toggle under the dash where it cant be seen is what I plan on. My wiper body has a brass cover which will look good polished up.

Also according to modelawipers.com ford did install these wipers as origional equipment for a time period.

Hope that helps.
DBF 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
32 hiboy

i had an all original model a special coupe and it to had the wiper motor you talk about with no switch. i do know the wiper was on the car new as the man that bought it said it was, but it might have been a dealer installation. mine had a very old toggel switch on it mounted where the cut out for the other switches would be
32 hiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
170A

Thanks guys,
I appreciate everyone taking time to respond. I will go with the toggle switch, just was not sure what went with the thing. Mine has a drawn steel cover with original light gray paint which had been covered with black at some point. This absolutely the best site I have come across, great bunch of folks. Thanks again, Jim
170A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

I have had several of these over the years and have cleaned, greased the gears and repainted them and sold on e-bay. Seems like I was told they were for Jeeps in the late 40's. Only one had a switch that I could identify as a rheostat swith that was mounted on the column drop. Unfortunarely the switch is beyond use, but I still have it in a box of stuff because of the brass case and the cool looking handle.

I also have one of these wiper motors put up. It works fine, but the mounting ears are broke. Maybe some day I will find another with good ears, but otherwise junk that I can rob the base from. Rod