Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
abachman3

Default Bendix Spring bolts

A question comes up periodically at the club meetings regarding the bendix spring bolts. Should they be tight against the spring or slightly loose, with the tabs on the washer keeping the bolts from backing out. Thanks.

AL
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Bendix Spring bolts

If they are tight, and fit the threads tight rarely will they come loose or break--- when they are run loose the threads wear and there's more bending motions to fatigue the bolts----
I don't run starter on 12 volts, but I have used the starter to drive the car out of the garage to work on the not running car to get in better light, and when the clutch was stuck I would start the car in first, drive shifting without the clutch, stopping the engine at light and stop signs---- the car has been putting up with my uses of it with few complaints, 35 years ago I took a bendix I got in the trash and used new bolts and locks--- I would guess that starting in gear is harder on it than 12 volts
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

The Bendix starter drives were troublesome throughout the Model "A" years judging by the quantity of service bulletins issued about them. My comments regard the A-11350-C Drive.

Refer to the Ford Service Bulletin for June 1931, Pages 570, 571 & 572. Starter Spring Clips A-11383 were installed on the drive to provide a bearing surface for the first 1/4 coil on each end of the spring. So these clips put sheet metal between the spring eyes and the drive body. On Page 572 at the bottom of the spring clip text, there is a paragraph warning not to tighten the spring screws to the point where the spring eye cuts into the clips.

The spring is going to elongate and put a twisting torque on the spring screws regardless of how tight the screws are. If the screws are tight, they will cause acceleration of wear on the spring clips, the spring eyes and the spring screw heads.

Because of the twisting torque of the spring eyes, Ford put special anti-rotation lock washers on the drive to engage the screw heads and drive body. Besides the special lock washers, I suggest you use a thread locking compound.

The diameter of the Bendix bolts changed from 5/16" to 3/8" when the V8 went into production. The V8 Starter Drives are interchangeable with the Model "A" drives.

The ultimate solution for Bendix drive problems, the most notorious of which is broken screws in the flywheel housing, is to use a quality-made modern starter drive.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 11-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
GPierce

Recently I have run into two starter dives that had a 5/16” bolt in the spring on the starter end and a 3/8” bolt in the hole in the A-13357 sleeve end of the shaft.
Was this done at the factory or done to attach the new A-11357 starter drive sleeve which only comes with the 3/8” threaded hole?
Snyder sells a package of 2-3/8” bolts or a package of 2-5/16” bolts.
The sleeves did not have the slots milled on each side as called out in Snyder’s catalog.

Last edited by GPierce; 11-09-2023 at 10:11 PM.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:52 AM   #5
Bob Bidonde

This is the cure for all Bendix problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Modern Replacement Bendix Drive 185kb.jpg (63.1 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-10-2023, 10:05 AM   #6
GPierce

Except when the starter fails on a tour and you have to drain the radiator and block, remove the water inlet to the block to get the starter and Bendix off the engine.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:13 AM   #7
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
Except when the starter fails on a tour and you have to drain the radiator and block, remove the water inlet to the block to get the starter and Bendix off the engine.
I am 85, can still do most everything I want do but hand cranking a Model A with a high compression head is one I can’t do.
I still hand prop my Cub but the lever arm is much longer on that.

Last edited by GPierce; 11-10-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
cristeven

The fastener threads must somehow be tight to prevent the threads from moving. Retainer compound is a very good suggestion in addition to the clips.
cristeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 01:39 PM   #9
Randall

This is probably the bendix Bob is talking about.https://youtu.be/0Iwdq5Uml00?si=IIld0kQcgkjmbPHR
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 09:06 PM   #10
Sunny the Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPierce View Post
I am 85, can still do most everything I want do but hand cranking a Model A with a high compression head is one I can’t do.
I still hand prop my Cub but the lever arm is much longer on that.
I found that by turning the starter just right, one can remove the starter without removing the inlet by snaking it around the inlet and steering column. I know this because I had to pull the starter out of the car because the Bendix jammed up. I pulled the starter, attached the starter cable and the wire connecting the rest of the wiring together with a bolt and wrapped it all up with tape so it wouldn't short on anything. I crank started my truck and drove all over town with no starter on the engine. Whole operation took about 20 minutes to pull. and I did that twice. I finally got a repo Bendix and my problems are all over.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

I can get the starter motor that is equipped with a modern starter drive in out without disturbing the coolant lines in both of my 1931 Model A's.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #12
GPierce

Maybe my problem removing the starter with the modern Bendix is the F100 steering column???

I turned every which way and couldn’t get it around the the water inlet and steering column.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:33 AM   #13
katy

Quote:
Maybe my problem removing the starter with the modern Bendix is the F100 steering column???
Quite possible, I've never had a problem R&Ring a starter on a stock Model A.